Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Wee Shea

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2010, 11:05:03 PM
you tell me.. its a myth

I'm no big fan of AK but to say he is a myth is highly disrespectful.

I wouldn't mind being a myth to pick up these sort of honours: various Armagh SFC titles, Ulster SFC titles (club and county), all Ireland club medal.

Before you come out with this tripe "Anyone could have won that with the Cross team" he must have been doing something right to be named on the Irish International Rules side, and the small matter of being named Young Player Of The Year in 2005?

Also did he get Man Of The Match in Cross' AIF in 2007?

Myth indeed.

The face

Aaron Kernan is best suited to an attacking half back on a dominant team. This way he can overlap and as his teammates have faith in him, he will get plenty of ball and use it well. Half back suits him because it means he is generally playing against someone who doesn't want to tackle back. He has not worked out at half forward for probably several reasons but one is that he is being marked by someone who sees their job as marking him so he isn't getting the latitude he would get from a reluctant wing half forward.

Mike Sheehy

what the hell is it about this Aaron Kernan....you lads never shut up about him yet he is a bit of a mystery outside Armagh . He is like the D.B Cooper of the GAA

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 13, 2010, 05:21:02 AM
what the hell is it about this Aaron Kernan....you lads never shut up about him yet he is a bit of a mystery outside Armagh . He is like the D.B Cooper of the GAA

D B Cooper??? So how long have you been in America????

Gaffer

That Armagh would have won the All Ireland in 2003 if Marsden hadn't been sent off .
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Aaron Boone

StGallsGAA

Armagh booked the city west for all the AI finals from 2003-2010.    Tony Fearon booked the weekend after in all cases....

4father

Socrates (Brazilian soccer player and not Philosopher) won a Sigerson medal.

under the bar

Ex-president Sean Kelly nailed the Queen in the VIP section of Croker...

ONeill

That Dublin winning the All-Ireland was good for football.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

Alan Brogan's magic created the Dublin goal in the All Ireland final.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Eamonnca1

"Nobody knows where all the money goes in the GAA."  Annual accounts are published and on the web.

"The GAA has money to burn."  No it's not. See above.

"GAA top management is greedy."  No it's not. See above.

"Nobody knows where the money goes in our club/division/county."  Annual accounts are available to view at the annual convention.

"Christy Cooney started the practice of referring to us as 'patrons' and we don't like it."  One of my earliest memories in Croke Park is a pair of anti-extradition protesters unfurling a banner on the roof of the Nally Stand and watching the whole game from there despite repeated requests over the tannoy for the "two patrons on the roof of the Nally Stand please come down from your position, you are endangering your own lives and the lives of other patrons."  The word "patron" was used all the time in them days and nobody batted an eyelid.  I wonder when we all became so sensitive all of a sudden. 

"The ban on pitch invasions is a recent phenomenon."  There were no pitch invasions during the reconstruction of the Hogan Stand and they didn't resume until 2002.  Nobody passed any remarks about it until the ban was reintroduced.

"You can't learn to play hurling if you're not from [insert specific geographical region]."  It's a collection of motor skills. Anybody can pick it up and become reasonably competent if they spend long enough at it.

"The game is called football therefore there should be more kicking of the ball, ..."  The game is called football because it's played on foot.

"football is starting to look like basketball...."  Only if you've never actually watched a game of basketball would it seem that way.

"and it looks awful as a result."  See above. Basketball is f***ing brilliant to watch.

Winnie Peg

"Crossmaglen play it to the edge" which in actual fact means that they a crowd of dirty cynical hoores.