Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoireGael

Quote from: haranguerer on August 05, 2010, 10:24:29 AM
Quote from: The face on August 04, 2010, 10:25:23 PM
I was working abroad for all the league so saw no football.  But are you telling me that the high catch isn't one of the main skills of Gaelic? Also, the point was that Mickey Harte opposed to this because it doesn't suit Tyrone's swarm tactics. Mickey Harte is against the Compromise Rules, thats his opinion but he was against the mark for self preservation which was disappointing to see.

Sos the pick up. Should there be a free every time the ball is picked up correctly?

Its bollocks - similar to the suggestion a while ago that a point from a sideline cut in hurling should be worth two because its a great skill - by that logic running the length of the pitch and scoring a goal should be worth 10? 20?  ::)

Couldnt agree more, the concept of a 'mark is a load of bull', I would agree with letting only the four midfielders (any four players) insdie the two 45s at kick out, mentioned by big Tohill at one stage, but still, wouldnt be a fan of the mark.

Hardy

That people are always saying football was better in the old days. I don't know anyone who thinks or says this. Any criticism of football standards or tactics or tendencies is automatically taken as a statement that it was better at some unspecified time in the far past.

DoireGael

Quote from: Hardy on August 05, 2010, 11:15:24 AM
That people are always saying football was better in the old days. I don't know anyone who thinks or says this. Any criticism of football standards or tactics or tendencies is automatically taken as a statement that it was better at some unspecified time in the far past.

I find it more interesting that the Down team of the 60's started the 'running off the ball' concept, is this true. It would be stage to see it otherwise  :D

The face

The pick up isn't a skill. Whenever the GAA are marketing Gaelic Football they show scores and high catches. Also, if the pick up was a skill then it would be included in Ladies Football.

AZOffaly

The pick up is a skill. Of course it is. Anyone who's seen Maurice Fitzgerald flick up a ball that was rolling away from him, on the run, will understand that. And i'm sure some of those pickups featured in ads before.

passedit

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 05, 2010, 03:32:37 PM
The pick up is a skill. Of course it is. Anyone who's seen Maurice Fitzgerald flick up a ball that was rolling away from him, on the run, will understand that. And i'm sure some of those pickups featured in ads before.

Wee Marty nearly soiled himself when Mc Comiskey set up coulter early on sat by doing this.
Don't Panic

AZOffaly

Quote from: passedit on August 05, 2010, 03:36:20 PM

Wee Marty nearly soiled himself when Mc Comiskey set up coulter early on sat by doing this.

Ah jaysus passedit. Nice imagery.  :-\

The face

Zapatista

Quote from: The face on August 05, 2010, 03:39:53 PM
Aka the flick up!

It's all 'the pick up' if it's legal. You can pick it up with your ear and it's still 'a pick p'.

Hardy

Quote from: The face on August 05, 2010, 03:28:27 PM
if the pick up was a skill then it would be included in Ladies Football.

It's because it's a skill that it's not included in "ladies'" football.

The face

The GAA has to play it's Quarter Finals in Crke Park because of a deal with Corporate Boxes/ Premium Seat holders. Absolute crap!!!!!
The GAA were very careful never to give specifics on any game. Also when these seats were being sold there was no such thng as a quarter final!

heffo

Quote from: The face on August 05, 2010, 03:43:32 PM
The GAA has to play it's Quarter Finals in Crke Park because of a deal with Corporate Boxes/ Premium Seat holders. Absolute crap!!!!!
The GAA were very careful never to give specifics on any game. Also when these seats were being sold there was no such thng as a quarter final!

I've never heard of that particular 'myth' and given that Qtr finals have been staged outside of Croke Park, it's not a very viable one..

Muzz

That Dublin does win "Token Gesture" All-Stars.

small white mayoman

mc danger did the same thing against offaly in the 1997 ai semi, flicked it up under the cusask stand pissing rain and threw it over the bar definatley a skill 
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

The face

Paul Early won his Bank of Ireland All Star in 1985 because he was a Bank of Ireland employee. Hang on, that's the truth!