Improving Gaelic Football

Started by magickingdom, July 25, 2010, 02:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Ban the fcukin hand pass abomination and bring the FOOT back into football .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Your right I have always held the opinion that there isnt enough foot in American football.

The Konica

People are always looking to do something to the game.

Leave it alone.

The CCCCC or whoever try and screw around with the hand pass at the begining of the year and almost single handedly ruin the sport. They seem as though they have nothing to do, but feel they must invent something.

Leave the game alone and referee it properly.

The rules are there, just apply them properly

It reminds me of the drink driving issue. People want to decrease the blood level so you can't have even one drink. What bloody good is that going to do unless you test more people???? You can't catch people if you don't increase the number of tests.

Same with Gaelic Football - you'll not improve the game by introducing more rules - but you can by enforcing the bloody ones we have. Give yellow cards when they are warranted. make sure Linesmen and Umpires do their damn job the way it's supposed to be done.
Just leave the game along and referee and administer it properly and fairly.

Like ask yourself, McEneaney use the same rule book as Kineavy - but they can referee in two completely different ways!!! One is doing it right and one wrong. But neither are adding or changing the damn rules!!!!!

Leave the game alone - just run it properly.

People are also talking about the foot pass and all that nonsense. The game will be ok, everything goes in cycles and it'll be fine. A team will appear, they'll win an AI with long kick passes and next thing you know everyone is copying them and then we have kick passing back. Don't worry.

That's all.

Jinxy

Get the ref to swallow his whistle like they do in hurling.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Bring in an independent time-keeper, like the feckin women have!

Have only qualified referees as Umpires for championship games.

Have a points system for Yellow and Red Cards - If u get over so many points you miss a game.

Have this points system carry over to following season if your team is knocked out!

Have a Game not Time system for punishent for suspensions.

Reduce teams from 15 to 13.

Have a look at sin bin for professional fouls.

Only offer a half point for a Punched point from the Hand (not volleyed).

DuffleKing

What can be done to improve gaelic football?

Simple - leave the rules alone.

Actually - one change - take referee training and appraisal away from referees

The Konica

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 25, 2010, 06:19:09 PM

Actually - one change - take referee training and appraisal away from referees
Firing Squad?

Zulu

QuoteFootball should not be played on the same day as hurling as it looks poor enough on its own but even poorer after watching hurling.

What bullshit! I'm so sick of hearing this kind of crap. If you prefer hurling that's fair enough but to suggest that the rest of us should do so is nonsense.

Jinxy

Every year we have to listen to this sh*te when there are a couple of poor games on the same day.  ::)
I can't wait for Martin Brehenys typical "the end is nigh" article tomorrow.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dublinese

ONeill

Cheer leaders. Big hairy girls from Longford or Donegal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

just need some kind of consistent refereeing and imo the introduction of instant video replays for key incidents by fourth officials in all senior championship matches (3 requests per game per manager or to be initiated by a ref) , CCTV footage from fixed cameras available to CCCC or whatever body suspends players - to review any dirty fouls or off the ball incidents etc , maybe this could also extend to obvious dives (as I reckon I witnessed a few on saturday) - and retrospective suspensions being handed out - would clean up  the dirt and dives after a short while.
Otherwise football is grand imo.

AZOffaly

I think this year has actually been better for foot passing, especially teams like Meath, Roscommon, Sligo, Louth and even our own lads in Offaly were much more direct.

Limerick exemplified the problems that an over dependence on handpassing can lead to, especially if you are going across the field. But in terms of direct play, Kerry feed Gooch and Donaghy, Meath like to get O'Rourke, Ward and Bray involved quickly, Roscommon use Shine as a target man, Sligo wanted to get David Kelly involved etc etc.

Corner forwards wither and die on the vine if they are not given good early ball, so I think any team that has a full forward line getting on a lot of ball is usually doing alright on the kicking stakes.

I have no problem working a ball out of tight corners using a handpass, a long balloon up to nobody in particular is not a kick pass either.

DuffleKing

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 26, 2010, 09:18:40 AM
just need some kind of consistent refereeing and imo the introduction of instant video replays for key incidents by fourth officials in all senior championship matches (3 requests per game per manager or to be initiated by a ref) , CCTV footage from fixed cameras available to CCCC or whatever body suspends players - to review any dirty fouls or off the ball incidents etc , maybe this could also extend to obvious dives (as I reckon I witnessed a few on saturday) - and retrospective suspensions being handed out - would clean up  the dirt and dives after a short while.
Otherwise football is grand imo.

How are we ever going to improve refereeing with the current set up?

We need explayers and managers to take over the referee assessment and programming.

Fairly standard scenario at the minute...

clueless Referee ruins game
Constant blowing of incidental physical contact
more ambiguity in the tackle than in most front rows
the only consistentecy in refereeing performances is in their capacity to astound with basic decision making
both supporters up in arms at him
Assessor (recently retired clueless referee) delivers 80 - 90% performance rating.
clueless referee gets a provincial final

ONeill

Actually was thinking v Monaghan that Tyrone were using the footpass much more now and fairly accurate at that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.