Condemed to Death - Provincial Losers seriously disadvantaged

Started by In the Onion Bag, July 24, 2010, 11:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

Does losing at Provincial final stage comdem you to failure?  Today's stats, and previous years' suggest so.

6 days is not enough to get over the suffer of a Final defeat.  Its nothing to do with fitness, etc.  Its just player/squad psychology.  Gutted 6 days earlier and expected to lift yourself to beat teams that have grown used to winning is proving too much. 

This rule needs looking at.

Hound

A load of cobblers. If you can'tget your head right, you've nobody to blame but yourself.

But certainly its gotten to be a right good exuse. Most teams are using it well before the game, never mind after it. The defintion of "self-perpetuation"

Blue06

An idea mentioned before.

Have the 'back door- open draw' before the provincials.

Shorten the league, May is qualifier month with the 4 qualifiers making at least the QFs in August.

Play your provincials and if a qualifier happens to win their province they automatically go into the SF.

Benefits

Everyone gets 2 chances -  no more moaning from provincial winners losing at QF stage.

Provincials become last chance saloon again.

Against

Potential loss of income as there may not be 4 QFs

upmonaghansayswe

Not so sure.. I think the manner of losing a Provincial Final plays a part..

In 07 when Monaghan lost ulster, the second half performance (being 4 down at the break) in the final proved to the players and the supporters that Monaghan could mix it with the top brass (no need for smart arse comments now :)!).. At the time of the final they were a fresher team, knew that another appearance in an Ulster Final was likely so the glass was half full.. Went out and bate Donegal the next Saturday..

Compare that til this year.. The team knew that Ulster was the only realistic goal.. Went out and lost the final with not one positive coming from it.. Glass was very much half empty and it showed today..

Im not taking the absence of Corey or JP into account for today, just the psychological aspect of it..

Hound

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 24, 2010, 11:48:43 PM

In 07 when Monaghan lost ulster, the second half performance (being 4 down at the break) in the final proved to the players and the supporters that Monaghan could mix it with the top brass (no need for smart arse comments now :)!).. At the time of the final they were a fresher team, knew that another appearance in an Ulster Final was likely so the glass was half full.. Went out and bate Donegal the next Saturday..

Compare that til this year.. The team knew that Ulster was the only realistic goal.. Went out and lost the final with not one positive coming from it.. Glass was very much half empty and it showed today..

Im not taking the absence of Corey or JP into account for today, just the psychological aspect of it..
Or maybe Monaghan lost to Kildare because Kildare are a superior team.

Schkite

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2010, 12:26:58 AM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on July 24, 2010, 11:48:43 PM

Or maybe Monaghan lost to Kildare because Kildare are a superior team.

You don't think the mental damage from the defeat 6 days ago or injuries to key players affected the game? Kildare were far superior today an they look in fine shape for a team that's played 5 games in as many weeks, but there was no heart in that Monaghan team today, that's not something you'd hear too often.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hound on July 24, 2010, 11:37:07 PM
A load of cobblers. If you can'tget your head right, you've nobody to blame but yourself.
You should really volunteer with the Samaritans.

Hound

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 25, 2010, 12:38:00 AM
Wow, comparing mental illness to football. That's nice. Maybe you should volunteer if you're so glib.

Quote from: Schkite on July 25, 2010, 12:35:56 AM
You don't think the mental damage from the defeat 6 days ago or injuries to key players affected the game? Kildare were far superior today an they look in fine shape for a team that's played 5 games in as many weeks, but there was no heart in that Monaghan team today, that's not something you'd hear too often.
Injuries of course is a valid excuse and could have happend to either team given both played last week.

But losing one week is absolutely no excuse for playing with no heart the following week.

SLIGONIAN

Our heads werent right today, we threw in the towel after 20mins after a bit of resistance, but we definitly didnt recover. But infairness whether was 6 days or 2 weeks i dont think we had the heart for the qualifiers after beating mayo and galway, we would had our minds set on beating ros and a qtr final. With the mental scars today we showed no heart, guts or passion today and it meant our workrate was well below 100% besides Eamonn o hara. Our defence and midfield was like butter today. No tackles nothing.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Maguire01

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 25, 2010, 12:38:00 AM
Wow, comparing mental illness to football. That's nice. Maybe you should volunteer if you're so glib.
Not at all. Just baffled by your lack of understanding of the psychological aspect of sport. This 'pull yourself together' mentality is far removed from reality.

nrico2006

THE Provincial winners are more disadvantaged than the losers at the end of the day, better to have two lives instead of one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maguire01

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 25, 2010, 11:12:31 AM
THE Provincial winners are more disadvantaged than the losers at the end of the day, better to have two lives instead of one.
Is that you Mickey?

They're not more disadvantaged - they're straight through to the quarter-finals with a decent break. The losers have to play an extra game (on the back of a defeat, obviously) with little or no break against teams that have built up some momentum.

INDIANA

But certainly its gotten to be a right good exuse. Most teams are using it well before the game, never mind after it. The defintion of "self-perpetuation"

Its blatantly unfair to expect a team to play 2 games in 6 days at thsi level especially when some of them get 2 weeks rest. I don't think Louth or Limerick could complain but Monaghan and Sligo could in my view. It takes at least 3 days to recover from a game at this level. At least 3 days.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: Hound on July 25, 2010, 12:41:10 AM

Injuries of course is a valid excuse and could have happend to either team given both played last week.

But losing one week is absolutely no excuse for playing with no heart the following week.

Your really over simplifying the situation.. You clearly dont understand what last Sunday was for Monaghan football.. 6 years of building and a hammering against a super Tyrone to show for it.. Really hoped we could produce something yesterday but on reflection I just feel sorry for the lads how it all went so pear shaped in 7 days..

What do you think the players first thought of when the Kildare goal went in? id say a deja vu of last Sunday..

Dont get me wrong, Kildare were by far the better team yesterday and i wish them all the best..

dublinese

Quote from: INDIANA on July 25, 2010, 12:25:50 PM
Its blatantly unfair to expect a team to play 2 games in 6 days at thsi level especially when some of them get 2 weeks rest. I don't think Louth or Limerick could complain but Monaghan and Sligo could in my view. It takes at least 3 days to recover from a game at this level. At least 3 days.

The teams they played against played 2 games in 7 days and have been doing so for a number of weeks. It is not the physical exertion that they require a longer rest period from but they do need a longer break to get over losing a final