Beaten Provisional Finalists - Should they play each other first?

Started by Denn Forever, July 24, 2010, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Again beaten provisional finalists don't do well. Should they the beaten finalists maybe play each other so they don't go cold in to the qualifiers.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Sombody ask Mickey Harte. I'm not sure what he thinks about this one.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Dinny Breen

Something needs to be done, surely guaranteeing them at least a 2 week break would be a start...
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

Nothing has to be done, and elongating the rest period is pointless.

Beaten finalists are emotionally drained, and that is just not something that can be repaaired by administrators.

bcarrier

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2010, 10:42:01 PM

Beaten finalists are emotionally drained, and that is just not something that can be repaaired by administrators.
+1

Dinny Breen

I don't know about that Wobbler, Kildare were beaten last year but had a two week break, that extra week was the difference between us beating Wicklow and them beating us which if it was 6 days they would have as they came pretty close as it was.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Give them a home draw for a start.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dublinese

All depends on the mentality of the players. If Kerry lose a Munster Final they know there's still business to be done between now and September and while no-one likes losing that's life.

Contrast to players from Louth who aren't used to playing in a provincial final never mind losing them. Add to that the manner in which they lost and the attention that has been shone on it by people outside the county. They haven't been let move on.

The rest period definitely has a bearing on it. The team that faired the best today had 3 weeks to recover from their final defeat.

In general the calendar needs to be streamlined somehow. It's full of imbalances in terms of differing length of rest breaks. Maybe the Ulster Championship should start earlier in order for their losing finalist to have a longer rest break. The provincial winners would then have the same rest break going into the quarter finals as each other.

ross4life

I think this might work

the four provisional finalist play each other then the two winners plus the two back door teams enter the quarter finals

For example today you could have

Qualifiers‎
Dublin v Down
Kildare v Cork

Finalist
Sligo v Louth
Limerick v Monaghan
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ross4life on July 25, 2010, 02:48:01 AM
I think this might work

the four provisional finalist play each other then the two winners plus the two back door teams enter the quarter finals

For example today you could have

Qualifiers‎
Dublin v Down
Kildare v Cork

Finalist
Sligo v Louth
Limerick v Monaghan

That's actually a very good idea, no major format changes and the problem solved in one go.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Maguire01

Quote from: dublinese on July 25, 2010, 01:53:22 AM
In general the calendar needs to be streamlined somehow. It's full of imbalances in terms of differing length of rest breaks. Maybe the Ulster Championship should start earlier in order for their losing finalist to have a longer rest break. The provincial winners would then have the same rest break going into the quarter finals as each other.
It doesn't even need to start earlier, just finish earlier. There's no reason why there can't be more than one game played during a weekend. For example, the two provincial semi-finals should be played on the same weekend so that both teams have the same rest going into the provincial final.

Rav67

Quote from: Jinxy on July 24, 2010, 10:51:51 PM

Give them a home draw for a start.

I think this is the best suggestion, together with a 2 week break.

David McKeown

The problem with a 2 week break for losing finalists is that it leaves at least a three week break for provincial winners which can often be as bad as the short break as they lose momentum etc.

I always liked Mickey Hartes suggestion that the provincial winners play each other in the quarters. The two losers then enter the qualifiers, the two winners then play each other in the semi finals. The loser of that semi final then gets another shot a semi against the winner of the qualifiers. In essence the only game you can lose and not have a qualifier game is the all Ireland final. Your reward for going unbeaten is a much shorter route.

Alternatively with falling crowds and increased prices I wouldn't be opposed to ending the qualifiers altogether. Probably in the minority though
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

From the Bunker

Quote from: David McKeown on July 25, 2010, 12:13:45 PM

Alternatively with falling crowds and increased prices I wouldn't be opposed to ending the qualifiers altogether. Probably in the minority though

Yeah, did the back door do Limerick, Monaghan, Sligo or Louth any good this year? Having to traipse out a week or two after missing out on the main goal of the year (a provincial title). I think not!

Carlow, Antrim, Clare, Wicklow, London, Leitrim, Waterford, Fermanagh got little or no value outta the back door also this year.

Should we have an intermediate and Junior Championship. like the club systems in most counties. All teams would enter the championship and teams who did not get to the last eight of the Championship would go into their various grades. If a high grade team like Kerry lost in the earlier pre last 8 then they would be out. If London lost pre last 8 they go into Junior championship and if say Laois lost pre last 8 they go into intermediate championship.

Maguire01

Quote from: David McKeown on July 25, 2010, 12:13:45 PM
or just reduce the prices?