Started by The Konica, July 22, 2010, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Any word on his backroom team?

boojangles

Quote from: JMohan on August 13, 2010, 03:05:34 PM

Cavan 'a bit slow'?? Understatement!!!

[/quote]

It probably is a bit slow but it is not a decision that can be rushed either. I know most of the available managers with a good pedigree may be gone by then but there seems to be a believe within the county that we should go with a Cavan man so if that is the thinking then it is not essential to have a new man so quick. There was talk that they were organising scouts to attend all the championship games.
Its obviously not ideal but things never are in Cavan.

cogito

McNulty seems set to take over Laois..that is interesting.

Has he any managerial record or are they just hoping he has the same effect as McGeeney has had over the border.

McGrath I think will fancy getting back into IC management. Cavan might not be a bad bet for him as it gives him the chance to compete in his preferred province, where expectations will be minimal.

It will also be interesting to see what Peter the Great does.

boojangles

Quote from: cogito on August 16, 2010, 05:23:41 PM
McNulty seems set to take over Laois..that is interesting.

Has he any managerial record or are they just hoping he has the same effect as McGeeney has had over the border.

McGrath I think will fancy getting back into IC management. Cavan might not be a bad bet for him as it gives him the chance to compete in his preferred province, where expectations will be minimal.

It will also be interesting to see what Peter the Great does.

He won a Senior Championship with Mullahoran in Cavan in 2006 beating a Cavan Gaels team that on paper was alot more talented. They also did it that day with 14 men for 40 minutes.Their so-called 'star man' Eddie Reilly was sent off. Mc Geeney helped out for 2 or 3 weeks leading up to that final and played a key role.
Mc Nulty also was over St Brigids last year when they got to the Dublin SFC final.

JMohan

Surprised Cavan didn't nab him

cogito

Got it from a reliable source today that O'Rourke has been approached for the Derry job and Canavan was asked about the Cavan job and would he be interested.

haranguerer

O'Rourke would be a good man for Derry I reckon. He hit it massively unlucky with Fermanagh, in that about 75%  of the team he took to an Ulster final replay became unavailable for one reason or another in the following years. Their subsequent poor performances shouldnt reflect badly on him.

Croí na hÉireann

The new Westmeath manager will be either Dolan or Flanagan...

Straight shootout between Flanagan and Dolan for Lake job
19 August 2010

The next Westmeath football manager will be either Pat Flanagan or Dessie Dolan Snr.

The deadline for nominations closed last Saturday and they were the only two names received by the county board executive from clubs. Offaly man Pat Flanagan was appointed as interim manager for the duration of Westmeath's championship involvement last April and, according to football board chairman Des Maguire is "very interested" in taking on the job on a full-time basis.

Flanagan guided the Lake County to a Leinster SFC quarter-final victory over Wicklow just six weeks after replacing the ousted Brendan Hackett, but disappointing performances against Louth in the Leinster semi-final and Derry in the All-Ireland qualifiers could scupper his chances of continuing in the role.

Like Flanagan, Dolan - who is currently in charge of Roscommon outfit Clann na nGael - was also in for the job this time last year, but wasn't even afforded an interview. This led to his son, Dessie Jnr, refusing to play under Hackett, but he returned to the fold following Flanagan's appointment.

"We will be following the Croke Park guidelines as far as the interview and appointment process is concerned and hope to have the new man in place before the county championship semi-finals in mid-September," Westmeath chairman Tom Farrell told hoganstand.com

Has to be Dolan for a number of reasons:

• Flanagan got an opportunity this year and didn't grasp it, made some silly selections and didn't spot obvious switches in time
  • Flanagan was also involved in the other disastrous year of 2009
  • It's time we had a manager from Westmeath who's actually grown up in the county and knows the scene inside out
  • Dolan deserves a chance after all he's done for the GAA in the county
  • Dolan was highly thought of by the Leitrim players and is better than Flanagan (imo)
  • Flanagan is a Biffo  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0819/galway.html

From RTE Sport - Thursday, 19 August 2010 10:06

"Former Laois and Limerick manager Liam Kearns has expressed his interest in taking over the vacant hotseat at Galway.

The Tribesmen are on the hunt for a new manager after Joe Kernan resigned on the back of the county board refusing to sanction the reappointment of his backroom staff.

Former All Star Kevin Walsh has been strongly tipped to replace Kernan, however, Kearns has now thrown his hat into the ring.

'Of course I would have to consider it if I was approached about a position such as the Galway job but I have not been approached and I'm not aware that I'm being considered,' said the Kearns said.

The Galway board have invited clubs to nominate candidates for the vacant role, but no deadline has been set."
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

GAA_Punter

McEnaney won't be Monaghan manager in 2011

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/08/25/mcenaney-wont-be-monaghan-manager-in-2011/

Who do people think will take over the position

AZOffaly

Good news I think. On all known form we're just two points worse than the All Ireland finalists :D

Cribben is not pulling up any trees, but I've been relatively impressed with the attitude and calm approach. He stabilised us in Division 3 when we were really worried about relegation last year. Gave a non-embarassing display against Meath, scraped by Clare and then improved against Waterford and should have beaten Down. Very important to see Offaly *finally* 'getting' the qualifiers. They are not some sort of penal sentence for losing in Leinster.

Next year will be a challenge for him, I'd love to see us promoted from Division 3, and having an extended run in Leinster or the Qualifiers. We need progress, but we also need consistency and stablility, so I'm glad he's staying on.

Offaly to keep faith in Cribben

01 September 2010

Tom Cribben is set to continue as Offaly football boss for another year at least.

Cribben met with a seven-man committee of the county board to review the season gone past and outline his aims, having stated his desire to continue with the Faithful County immediately after their All-Ireland SFC qualifier defeat to Down back in July.

The committee are now set to recommend the Clane man to delegates for reappointment in 2011 at Tuesday night's scheduled county board meeting.

Meanwhile, county hurling boss Joe Dooley has yet to sit down with the board having completed his three-year term at the helm

DuffleKing

AZOffaly

I knew Dessie Dolan was never going to get that job. Be interested to read what the Westmeath lads reckon. I think Dessie's burnt his bridges with Westmeath.

Croí na hÉireann

On holidays at the moment so only hearing about this now, no surprise but absolutely raging with that. Another stroke pulled by the football board, expect another year of underachievement & Glennon being pandered to  >:( >:( >:(
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...