McDowell calls for national holiday on 12 July

Started by comethekingdom, July 21, 2010, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comethekingdom

McDowell calls for national holiday on 12 July
Wednesday, 21 July 2010 17:58
Former Minister for Justice and Progressive Democrats leader Michael McDowell has said that 12 July should be made a national holiday in the south as well as in Northern Ireland.

Mr McDowell said that if we were genuine republicans and if the orange panel in the flag meant anything, then we had to consider building an inclusive society.

He was speaking at the MacGill Summer School in Co Donegal.

The former Justice Minister said that the stakes are high.

He asked if the Good Friday Agreement was a sticking plaster over an open and infected wound or a stage on the path of genuine reconciliation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like we could be getting another day off and have 2 official days for parades in Ireland!!!

AZOffaly

What's he still doing public speaking? And why is anyone reporting it?

A nonentity.

Orior

Thats still very separatist.

Why not combine St Paddy and St Billy into one celebration day?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

comethekingdom

AZOffaly

Orior

Lets have on Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II's birthday, emmm the official one, not the provisional one.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2010, 09:55:03 PM
What's he still doing public speaking? And why is anyone reporting it?

A nonentity.

Indeed, the MacGill summer school must be hard pushed for speakers.

The Real Laoislad

I thought for a second Graeme had wanted a annual day to celebrate his US Open win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

DuffleKing

comethekingdom

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 21, 2010, 10:44:22 PM

Who gives a fcuk what he thinks?

I couldnt give a flying fcuk about what he thinks but if we got another day off work I wouldnt argue. Anyway should we not embrace our fellow countrymen in the 6 counties and include 'their' national holiday as part of bringing them with us for eventual unity of the the 2 states in Ireland?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

He should have been celebrating July 18'th, doesn't he have a house in Roscommon  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

I think the 4th May should be a Bank Holiday in order to celebrate, each year, the date in 2007 when that disgusting, horrible streak of misery lost his seat.

And to think Alasdair McDonnell invited that d**k to canvass with him in South Belfast.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

whiskeysteve

I see Hitler has slipped in a beer despite the champagne on offer
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w