Shamrock Bowl 27 - Tallaght Stadium - Saturday 20th July

Started by thejuice, July 21, 2010, 05:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

QuoteShamrock Bowl XXIV will take place at Tallaght Stadium in South Dublin on Saturday 7th August, kick-off 2pm. General admission tickets cost €6. Family and childrens tickets are also available. The Shamrock Bowl is run as a family event aimed at showcasing the sport in Ireland to members of the public.

Thought I'd give this its own thread. The final of the Irish American Football league is coming up. This weekend are the semi-finals, on Sunday its Carrickfergus Knights @ UL Vikings and West Dublin Rhinos @ Dublin Rebels. I would expect both the Vikings and Rebels to come through once again. They have been the top teams for the last few years though Cork won it last year.

UL Vikings have also have now been officially ranked in the 2010 top twenty teams in Europe by the European Federation of American Football.  Their number 19 ranking was largely achieved by winning the Atlantic Cup, which is the European Amateur Club Championships last month when they defeated Dutch team, Lelystad Commanders 19-18 in a thrilling final.

The Vikings qualified for the Atlantic Cup as the reigning Irish Champions. The Vikings are the first Irish team to achieve a top 20 ranking since the Dublin Celts in 1990. This is a remarkable achievement for a team from Ireland considering that EFAF currently has 30 member countries and several hundred clubs.

The Dublin Rebels are probably Irelands most successful team and are currently undefeated this year but as a former Dublin Dragon I'm hoping they have a somewhat 'Patriotic' finish to their undefeated season.  ;D

There have been some classic bowls recently with the winning score coming in the 4th quarter and some decided by the last play. Should be good even if my prediction for the semis doesnt come to be.

http://www.americanfootball.ie/

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Luckily I have to watch some paint drying that day so won't be attending.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Did you really feel the need to contribute that?

Anyhow, these lads put in a big effort, and are improving all the time as the league matures. Best of luck to all 4 teams.

thejuice

Up to yourself Rossfan.

Its been rapidly growing in terms of followers and participation. There was only 8 teams when I played it 5 years ago.

Have you seen there's a team now in Tullamore AZ.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I think I did see something about that on the Offaly Independent a while ago. I'm based in Newport, Tipp now though.

Minder

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2010, 08:13:15 PM

Not to mention a couple of farmyard animals to pleasure.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

Quote from: Minder on July 21, 2010, 08:35:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2010, 08:13:15 PM

Not to mention a couple of farmyard animals to pleasure.

Farmyard animals ??? Have ye no fields up your way
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: thejuice on July 21, 2010, 08:29:46 PM
Up to yourself Rossfan.

Its been rapidly growing in terms of followers and participation. There was only 8 teams when I played it 5 years ago.

Have you seen there's a team now in Tullamore AZ.

I thought there was a team starting up in Galway juice?  The Galway Seadevils or something like that.  I checked the website there lately but no sign of them.  I was hoping to go and watch the Shamrock Bowl but I don't think the weekend its on suits me.  I saw tickets on Ticketmaster for around €6.00.  You cant go wrong there.

thejuice

Yeah the Seadevils, poor name for a team it has to be said, never got going. it happens though, teams start up here and there, some disappear, some keep it going. There was a team in Dunboyne for a short while.

thejuice

http://www.americanfootball.ie/rebels-and-vikings-to-play-in-shamrock-bowl-xxiv/

Well as predicted its a Rebels Vs Vikings final. One sided games where they held their opposition scoreless and the Rebels ran in 65 points. However they should be well matched against each other.

Here's some promotional work done during the week. Models Louise Kavanagh and Karena Graham were present along with players and Deputy Mayor Cathal King.

http://www.americanfootball.ie/shamrock-bowl-media-day-tallaght-stadium/

Recent Shamrock Bowl Results:
2009 - XXIII (Belfast)      UL Vikings 9-6 Dublin Rebels (sudden death overtime).
2008 - XXII (Cork)      UL Vikings 14-12 Dublin Rebels
2007 - XXI (Limerick)      UL Vikings 22-14 Cork Admirals
2006 - XX (Dublin)      Dublin Rebels 44-12 UL Vikings
2005 - XIX (Belfast)      Dublin Rebels 26-19 Belfast Bulls
2004 - XXVIII (Greystones)    Dublin Rebels 24-22 Carrickfergus Knights

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2010, 08:30:47 PM
I think I did see something about that on the Offaly Independent a while ago. I'm based in Newport, Tipp now though.

Is Newport in Tipp anything like Newport in Wales? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNfbX6uvA6s

Saw that last week. Think it's awful funny.

Bod Mor

A neighbour of mine put together the Erris Rams which is an underage team. Not sure how they're getting on though, didn't hear anything about them the last time I was home.

http://errisrams.yolasite.com/
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

deiseach

thejuice

lynchbhoy

american football in the 'dole bowl' !!
are the rovers going to pay some of their money back now ?