Dental Hygeine/Flossing.

Started by Puckoon, July 20, 2010, 08:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Just back from the 6 month cleaning with the dentist - and I am getting sick to the back teeth (pardon the pun), of being made to feel like I've got gnashers from a third world country.

I've got a small mouth - wisdom teeth are in at the back with no pain but they are telling me I need to get the feckers out because it is leaving me no room in between teeth and leading to plaque build up.

They ask me do I floss - and the honest answer is no. I only floss if theres something stuck in between my teeth that I cant get out. I have started this past week or so, but to be honest I feel like an idiot trying to get the floss in there with big hands and a small gob. I'm never done brushing and rinsing with mouthwash but it's starting to get embarrassing every time I go for a 6 month clean as they ask me if I brush twice a day like I am some school kid eating sweets and chocolate til it rots every tooth in my head.

Do any of you floss your teeth? Do you have any product recommendations that do the same job as flossing but might work better for me?

pintsofguinness

How much did they charge you for cleaning the teeth?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Free with my dental insurance. But I think it is around 80$ for a cleaning with no insurance.

Mayo4Sam

I suffer from bleeding gums, flossing is the only job for clearing it, u notice it immediately. It's a pain in the hole though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Rois

Currently bleaching my teeth to prepare for a bit of a cosmetic dentistry overhaul, total vanity as I'm
getting veneers. The bleach is killing me, have to take a break every other night. Trying to floss is really sore at the minute as well.
Anyway, you can get tiny little brushes that act like a cross between a tooth pick and floss, except you don't have to force your big hand inside your mouth to use.

Puckoon

Good luck with the veneers Rois - that very proceedure was where my dental woes started.

Rois

Ah don't be saying that Puck!
It was a nasty filling followed by root canal treatment that's led me to need them! (well one at least, getting a few extra). What went wrong with yours?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on July 20, 2010, 08:18:02 PM
Free with my dental insurance. But I think it is around 80$ for a cleaning with no insurance.
see, money making scheme!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

I had two teeth (the ones either side of my two front teeth) that looked a little wonky and turned out towards the front of my mouth. The actualy reason for it was that my two front teeth were inclined to lean a little back so the net effect made it look like I had two wonky teeth either side of my two front teeth. Id just come off having braces on the bottom set and so my orthodontist at the time decided it would be a great idea to just stick on some veneers on the front teeth to bring them flush with the rest of the top set. The veneers worked well and looked great for a few years, but the dentist didnt have the foresight or the inclination to deal with the underlying problem of my mouth i.e. the smallness of it and the crowding of the teeth and subsequent shifting about of the teeth because of this. Now my teeth have moved so much since I got the veneers done 12 years ago that the front set look a bit like they did back then (if not as pronounced).

Bottom line was that the veneer wasnt the treatment that I needed, but the dentist saw the $ signs and convinced me that at 18 it was a much better option for me than getting a few extracted and some braces.

This year, I am getting a few extracted and some braces.

Rois

Jeez sounds like my story! One dentist tried talking me into braces but vanity again, just not in a braces place. This dentist said she'd try to persuade me out of it if my teeth weren't as weak as they are. I'm prepared for maintenance in a number of years. Getting crowns either side of the two front ones, and she's cutting my gum to make teeth look longer.

Was it painful getting the veneers? I may need knocked out. 

ONeill

I have never flossed and never will.

I brush my teeth about once a week if I have to go to a dance or something like that. Like your hair, I believe that your teeth will cleanse themselves if they realise no one else is going to do it for them. Also, I haven't a filling in my head at 35 yrs of age and my teeth are as white and as straight as the goalposts in Brocagh. I don't drink Coke or those types of things though and always eat a fish a day, mostly eel or trout.

Sometimes I'll rub my teeth with my sleeve.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 20, 2010, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 20, 2010, 08:18:02 PM
see, money making scheme!

Maybe, maybe not. But if you see the shtuff that comes off the teeth its frightening. It is a great feeling to feel your real teeth again for a month or two after a cleaning.

tyssam5

The wee Y shaped yoke that holds the floss is handier than using your hands. Also I invested in a Philips Sonicare toothbrush a couple of years ago, a bit sensitive a first but it is the business, you can see and feel the difference in your teeth. Especially if like me you are impatient and there is no way you would give them a full 2 minute scrub otherwise.

Armamike

I've allways been careful enough with my teeth but had a good few trips to the dentist over the past couple of years so can talk with a bit of experience on this one unfortunately. Whether it's genetics or whatever, some people just have more problems with their teeth/gums. The little wire brushes are the best option for helping to  clear up gums and stop bleeding. A couple of days using these will make a big difference. Wooden sticks aren't bad either, but flossing isn't that useful imo. I was advised to use the brushes morning and night, between each tooth. It's a bit of a pain but you get used to it. The alternative wasn't that attractive, i.e.  not having my own teeth in 5 years time. After a few weeks and months of this the gums improve big time. A trip to the dental hygienist every 4 months or so for a check over and a scale and polish is a good idea.
That's just, like your opinion man.

ballela-angel

What follows is a summary of the topic "floss" from the only medical book that I read and use "You: The Owner's Manual" by Dr Oz
1. Flossing breaks up more than 500 kinds of bacteria that live in plaque between your teeth

2. Flossing helps reduce the inflammation associated with gum disease

3. Flosssing and brushing every day, combined with seeing a dental professional every 6 months or so can add 6.4 years to your life

3. Because flossing decreases inflammation in your gums and subsequently in your arteries, flossing will keep your heart pumping and your sex life thriving!

4. Pressed for time? Then follow this rule: Floss only the teeth you want to keep

As regards the different types of floss, I was shocked recently to see the many choices available as I injured a finger and had trouble flossing using the "normal method" Most drug stores/chemist shops carry a wide range of choices
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!