Mayo V Clare

Started by RedandGreenSniper, February 15, 2007, 11:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

See that Mayo are playing Clare in a challenge on Saturday night. It's under the new lights in Ballinrobe, at 6.30. Wonder what sort of team Johnno plays? Badly need to try to unearth a few forwards after the Donegal game.

Ballaghaderreen's Barry Regan hasn't been given a run yet and he's given Aidan Kilcoyne very little game time since the FBD either. Is there anyone else who hasn't been given a right run yet?
There's very few who can be pencilled in for the forward positions yet. Dillon is a banker, Trevor Mort looks good and you'd have to think McD is to when he comes back from injury. That apart you cannot say that guys like Conor Mort, O'Neill, Ger Brady etc will be definitely on the starting XV for championship.

Think we're looking slightly better in defence, Liam O'Malley is the real deal, BJP looks settled, Gardiner and Keith Higgins are definite starters. That's four from six, Heaney should regain his form and then you have guys like A Higgins, G Mullins, J Kilcullen all in the shake up.

Full-back still far from solved however. If its horses for courses then you could see Kilcullen on the bigger men but if sharper and faster men are at full-forward Liam O'Malley could be the man.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

westmayo

This game should be a chance for John to give a few of the panelists  a run out the likes of Campbell, Regan, Mullins, Cafferkey and Kenneth O'Malley. It should also give C. Mort a chance to pick up his game he has been very sluggish so far this season and with DCU gettng knocked out yesterday he looks like he needs a few games to get the pace up.
Think you could be right about the O'Malley, Kilcullen full back thinking  Sniper. O'Malley looked comfortable on the more skillfull Devenney than Kilcullen did last Sunday.

The best of luck to Ballinore with there new floodlights, I was at the NUIG game there and the look very impressive and alot of credit must go to the club for the big investment.

mannix

yes a perfect chance to try a couple of the other lads out.
t mort should be tried on the half back line,he has the engine and physique to stick with the best of them and strikes me as a better back than forward, this game is a good opportunity.
Mayo will win the game i feel but its only training so would jom be wise to see who could be the new ff by trying an old face in a new position?
It will be interesting no doubt, the league games are different because we have to win them and cannot afford to be experimenting too much.

Redgreenery

Yeah alot of experimenting should go on at this game. Johonno would probably play a very different panel in this game than in the league. Is there any word on the teams or do you just have to be there to find out?
Mayo should take them fairly easy even while experimenting. Some experimenting should be done with D Heaney as he isnt playing his best in corner back, of course he could be just off form too.

Farrandeelin

Kilcoyne should definitely be played in this game. I think he should be on instead of McNicholas the last day but that's another days work as I wasn't there so I can't comment.

PS that's a few south Mayo clubs with lights now, Aughamore etc. Come on North Mayo clubs, get your act together on this! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muscles magoo

Quote from: westmayo on February 15, 2007, 12:45:22 PM

The best of luck to Ballinore with there new floodlights, I was at the NUIG game there and the look very impressive and alot of credit must go to the club for the big investment.

Ballinrobe made no such big investment The costs were funded by the National Lottery. That said they do deserve credit for putting the package together, securing the funding and getting the work done -  a lot of work involved.

muscles magoo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 15, 2007, 08:28:37 PM
Kilcoyne should definitely be played in this game. I think he should be on instead of McNicholas the last day but that's another days work as I wasn't there so I can't comment.

PS that's a few south Mayo clubs with lights now, Aughamore etc. Come on North Mayo clubs, get your act together on this! ;)

They must have moved Aughamore, the last time I looked they were situated in East Mayo.... :P

Farrandeelin

Whatever, whatever muscles. It's all south Mayo to me once I go past Castlebar!  :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Terry Tate

Is Barry Moran injured or what. i have'nt heard a word about him this season.

Redgreenery

No I dont think Barry's injured I think he just didn't make the league team, but he should be played in the Clare game tomorrow.

Redgreenery

Anyone hear the result of the Mayo v Clare game?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Redgreenery on February 17, 2007, 08:29:07 PM
Anyone hear the result of the Mayo v Clare game?

And does anyone have a match report?

IolarCoisCuain

From this morning's Irish Independent:

Mayo get light relief

Monday February 19th 2007

Mayo 1-14

Clare 1-8

SF Challenge

TEENAGE centre half-forward Aidan Campbell and Ballina Stephenites' wing-back Enda Devenney gave new Mayo manager John O'Mahony food for thought with sparkling performances in a challenge match to mark the official turning on of new floodlights at Ballinrobe on Saturday night.

A Mark Ronaldson goal after 27 minutes put Mayo in control, and he had a chance to add a second but his second-half penalty was saved by Clare 'keeper Joe Hayes.

SCORERS - Mayo: M Ronaldson 1-0, A Campbell 0-3 (2f), A Kilcoyne 0-2 (1f), B Regan 0-2, E Devenney 0-2, E Barrett 0-2, M McNicholas 0-1, G Brady 0-1, G Mullins 0-1. Clare: D Molohan 0-6 (5f), R Donnelly 1-2

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

Redgreenery

Glad to see that the 'changed around' Mayo team played well. I'd say there is a lot of potential for the future from the young players in that team.

Marooned

Anyone have full team list from Saturday night?