Current football team of the season

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2010, 11:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eireogatron

sunday aside, Dick Clerkin has been lethal.

Puckoon

Scary from a Tyrone point of view that we are at the quarter final stage and there isnt a forward on there - nor one that really merits an individual mention so far.

mckieran

QuoteDo Connacht matches not count?

Usually they dont. :-(

paddypastit

Kerry would not have either drawn with or subsequently beaten Cork w/o P Galvin - plain and simple fact. All other assessments of Galvin are irrelevant. Can't actually say about Shine against Leitrim as only saw the highlights but based on the Connacht final which I attended, he wasn't quite as good as the media would have you believe.  He was good certainly but it was the work by his midfielders (Finneran and Mannion) half backs (Casey and Dineen) and half forwards (Cregg and Keenan) that set up the victory.  Yes he finished of that work but seven were place kicks and that doesn't designate a great all round player. Factor in also that he missed a further five place kicks and I'd say, great potential but a way to go. If there was a Roscommon player to be nominated I'd be picking Cathal Cregg who was many people's man of the match yesterday and was also very central to the Leitrim victory - certainly a better #12 this year so far than Joe Sheridan.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Minder

Surely Costello from Sligo deserves a shout?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross matt

Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2010, 09:15:34 PM
Definitely. Those scores were'nt a flash in the pan. He's been doing it all season. Refreshing to see a wing forward hit from distance like that. They shouldnt have bothered with that selection if they werent going to rate the overall championship. Sheridan doesnt even play wing forward for his own county and Galvin has played two half matches. Total insult to Alan Costelloe.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross matt on July 19, 2010, 09:31:36 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2010, 09:15:34 PM
Definitely. Those scores were'nt a flash in the pan. He's been doing it all season. Refreshing to see a wing forward hit from distance like that. They shouldnt have bothered with that selection if they werent going to rate the overall championship. Sheridan doesnt even play wing forward for his own county and Galvin has played two half matches. Total insult to Alan Costelloe.

He was great against Mayo too. It seems like the medja typical shite, anything West of the Shannon is shown no respect, a bit like the Governments attitude towards the West.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Shrewdness

Quote from: paddypastit on July 19, 2010, 06:02:38 PM
Kerry would not have either drawn with or subsequently beaten Cork w/o P Galvin - plain and simple fact. All other assessments of Galvin are irrelevant. Can't actually say about Shine against Leitrim as only saw the highlights but based on the Connacht final which I attended, he wasn't quite as good as the media would have you believe.  He was good certainly but it was the work by his midfielders (Finneran and Mannion) half backs (Casey and Dineen) and half forwards (Cregg and Keenan) that set up the victory.  Yes he finished of that work but seven were place kicks and that doesn't designate a great all round player. Factor in also that he missed a further five place kicks and I'd say, great potential but a way to go. If there was a Roscommon player to be nominated I'd be picking Cathal Cregg who was many people's man of the match yesterday and was also very central to the Leitrim victory - certainly a better #12 this year so far than Joe Sheridan.

Shine has scored 1-26 in 3 games, and yes whilst many of them were from placed balls, is that not a skill in itself. 9 of his points yesterday were off his right foot, so to score that point with his left foot in the second half was some achievement.

Shine is NOW delivering on his potential.

RedandGreenSniper

Alan Cos was excellent yesterday and very good against Mayo but poor against Galway (x2). I'd have him ahead of Joe Sheridan though. But behind Graham Reilly. Paul Galvin to me is a shoo-in. The two biggest and most crucial games of the year to date, Cork v Kerry x 2, were decided by him more than any other player.

All these things are subjective though but all good fun. This is the team I would go with.

G Claffey
M O Se Jus McMahon C Harrison
T O Se  Rory O'Carroll J Davey
P Keenan   J Galvin
P Galvin A Costello G Reilly
B Brogan P Joyce D Kelly
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

When the like's of Shane Curran & Frankie Dolan didn't get a all star in 2003 I'm not expecting us to get any this year
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

timmyot501

Quote from: eireogatron on July 19, 2010, 05:23:01 PM

I actually thought that in a very poor Monaghan performance Clerkin (though below his recent standards) was not the worst Monaghan performer. He scored another super point, and was involved in a few of the very few scores Monaghan got.

So I'd be more inclined to just say - Dick Clerkin has been leathal.

kerrylions

christ lads gooch is flying this year,look at what he done against cork alone, he made fools of the defenders,and against limerick he scored the goal, and the lead point after lim had drawn level.marc o se and declan o sullivan should be there aswell,these are only mickey mouse teams been picked now.

The Konica

Quote from: timmyot501 on July 20, 2010, 09:21:13 AM

I actually thought that in a very poor Monaghan performance Clerkin (though below his recent standards) was not the worst Monaghan performer. He scored another super point, and was involved in a few of the very few scores Monaghan got.

He wasn't anywhere last weekend, in fact completely overrated this season too - judged on performances against an Armagh team who have no recognised mid field and a terribly weak Fermanagh Team? You can't judge players on those games.

Overrated.

Schkite

Quote from: The Konica on July 20, 2010, 07:32:45 PM

He wasn't anywhere last weekend, in fact completely overrated this season too - judged on performances against an Armagh team who have no recognised mid field and a terribly weak Fermanagh Team? You can't judge players on those games.

Overrated.

He's well deserving of the plaudits he received after the first 2 championship games, and in fact is probably Monaghan's best player over the whole year so far. He had an excellent league aswell don't forget and has played the best football of his Monaghan career so far this year, so it's it's unfair to call him overrated after he didn't hit those heights against a great Tyrone side on Sunday. Overrated is definitely not a word to associate with Dick, for years he's been the fella doing the unseen donkey work around midfield so others can flourish, and now he's getting a bit of media attention himself he's overrated?

The Konica

Quote from: Schkite on July 20, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 20, 2010, 07:32:45 PM

Overrated.

He's well deserving of the plaudits he received after the first 2 championship games, and in fact is probably Monaghan's best player over the whole year so far. He had an excellent league aswell don't forget and has played the best football of his Monaghan career so far this year, so it's it's unfair to call him overrated after he didn't hit those heights against a great Tyrone side on Sunday. Overrated is definitely not a word to associate with Dick, for years he's been the fella doing the unseen donkey work around midfield so others can flourish, and now he's getting a bit of media attention himself he's overrated?
Schkite, he had a decent league, but you can't judge a player properly against Armagh and Fermanagh now can you? And people are saying great things based on those two games, then he's certainly overrated.
IMO the player far and away the best for Monaghan has been Darren Hughes - a far better League than Dick and far better footballer. Why he was chosen for goals I don't know, apart from his kickout I presume.