Galway vs Tipp

Started by seafoid, July 19, 2010, 09:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

So. Interesting match. Are Tipp back in full working order ? Which team is likely to go further now that it's sudden death ? 

bottlethrower7

When I saw that draw I was reminded of the game between the 2 about 6/7 years ago (the year John Carroll was wing-back). Still  ranks as one of the most god-awful games I've ever seen - I think there was a period of the game that lasted about 40 minutes where neither team scored. Tipp ended up winning.

I expect this game to be the same.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2010, 09:12:51 AM
So. Interesting match. Are Tipp back in full working order ? Which team is likely to go further now that it's sudden death ?
Any ideas where this will be played?  Will it be fixed as a double header with Cork/Antrim in Croke Park or a stand alone fixture in possibly the Gaelic Grounds? 

johnneycool

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 19, 2010, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2010, 09:12:51 AM
Any ideas where this will be played?  Will it be fixed as a double header with Cork/Antrim in Croke Park or a stand alone fixture in possibly the Gaelic Grounds?

Do you not think Tipp might like to get a run out in Croke park at this stage of the year in a hope of getting into a pattern for later on in the summer??

seafoid

The crowds seem to be very low this year- would it be worth opening Porky Croky?
I can't see legions of Galway people going.

A match along the lines of the 1987
semifinal would be great.

AZOffaly

Is it in Croker? I'd think they'd get a big crowd in the 50k venue on the Ennis Road in Limerick to be honest. But if Antrim and Cork is in Croker, that'l hardly be standalone?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on July 19, 2010, 09:22:49 AM
When I saw that draw I was reminded of the game between the 2 about 6/7 years ago (the year John Carroll was wing-back). Still  ranks as one of the most god-awful games I've ever seen - I think there was a period of the game that lasted about 40 minutes where neither team scored. Tipp ended up winning.

Was then when they played down in Salthill in 2003?

Plain of the Herbs

B7 may be thinking of the 2000 quarter-final, the Galway beat Tip'rary after Offaly had a great win over Derry  ;D
JC was wing back that day.  There was a second half lull to beat all second half lulls in that Galway v Tipperary match.  T'was Galway ran out winners though.
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 21, 2010, 07:09:51 PM

Clarin Pearl

The lull in Salthill was only on Galways part. They did score 1-2 or 1-3 in the last 5 mins. they better not do that this weekend or i won't stay awake.

Bord na Mona man

I remember a 2nd half lull that day.
The lull was occasionally punctuated by some codger near me who'd periodically howl out "Hawn Tepp".
I think Joe Rabbitte got man of the match for what one sage rightly described as 'spending the day catching the ball, falling over then and handpassing it over the sideline'.

No mention of John Denton yet...

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on July 21, 2010, 10:34:16 PM
B7 may be thinking of the 2000 quarter-final, the Galway beat Tip'rary after Offaly had a great win over Derry  ;D
JC was wing back that day.  There was a second half lull to beat all second half lulls in that Galway v Tipperary match.  T'was Galway ran out winners though.
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 21, 2010, 07:09:51 PM

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on July 21, 2010, 10:34:16 PM

Thats the one. I think I was asleep by the end to have noticed who won!

JC got his allstar that year based on that game though I reckon.

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/wexford-to-probe-attack-on-referee-206815.html

John Denton never got an all-Ireland final after that match. It would be interesting to interview him about it now.

Premier Emperor

Tipp will win this one handy.
Galway struggled against a poor Offaly team that we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear to beat.
Joe Canning is off form and Galway don't have much else going for them.

Premier Emperor

Eanna Ryan!
Any relation to Eanna Ryan?