All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApresMatch

Quote from: southdown on August 01, 2010, 02:51:58 PM
He was sitting half way up the section, in his early 20s wearing a number 13 Tyrone shirt.  He came in pissed out of the head with a pint in his hand a bottle of vodka in the back pocket.  Stewards mede him leave with his pint, then he got back in.

There were Dublin fans in front of him and behind him.  When Tyrone scored he would turn to the man behind him and roar in his face.  When Dublin scored he roard "c%nts" into the Dublin fans faces.  He roared at the man behind him "you Dublin c%nt, Ill f%%king bust you" and I thought he was going to hit him, then the man and a few men behind all stood up and he sat down.  He roared abuse all day at the family in front, which included young children, and they were genuinely afraid.  At one point he had his shirt off and was waving Tyrone shirt in the air.

Never witnessed such a thug at a match in my life, it was shocking, im sure quite a few people on here noticed him as he was getting a lot of attention.

I ssen a tyrone man with 13 on back, had ear-ring (shite lookin) fightin on street with sum fella,think there was a bitta slabberin then tyrone man man went for him but other fella didnt want to fight,but the sc**bag kept chasing him.Eventually few other tyronies dragged him away,though he kept shoutin abuse.This all happened just outside Quinns in full view of traffic which wasnt movin.Not pretty.

mournerambler

Quote from: ApresMatch on August 01, 2010, 08:33:06 PM
He was sitting half way up the section, in his early 20s wearing a number 13 Tyrone shirt.  He came in pissed out of the head with a pint in his hand a bottle of vodka in the back pocket.  Stewards mede him leave with his pint, then he got back in.

There were Dublin fans in front of him and behind him.  When Tyrone scored he would turn to the man behind him and roar in his face.  When Dublin scored he roard "c%nts" into the Dublin fans faces.  He roared at the man behind him "you Dublin c%nt, Ill f%%king bust you" and I thought he was going to hit him, then the man and a few men behind all stood up and he sat down.  He roared abuse all day at the family in front, which included young children, and they were genuinely afraid.  At one point he had his shirt off and was waving Tyrone shirt in the air.

Never witnessed such a thug at a match in my life, it was shocking, im sure quite a few people on here noticed him as he was getting a lot of attention.

I ssen a tyrone man with 13 on back, had ear-ring (shite lookin) fightin on street with sum fella,think there was a bitta slabberin then tyrone man man went for him but other fella didnt want to fight,but the sc**bag kept chasing him.Eventually few other tyronies dragged him away,though he kept shoutin abuse.This all happened just outside Quinns in full view of traffic which wasnt movin.Not pretty.

Would have expected more from Martin Penrose   ;)

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: mournerambler on August 01, 2010, 08:37:09 PM
Would have expected more from Martin Penrose   ;)

Ha Ha lovin it.  Very funny. 
Taking of fun, is Pat the Puke's prog on tonight and at what time?  I make a pont of aviding it but tonight's could be fun

45 metres

Down were well deserving winners yesterday and I'm not too shocked that they did, but if was a Down man I would not be getting carried away. Beating Kerry could have been their All Ireland final for them. In the last few years teams like Monaghan, Sligo and Longford have like Down had the chance to put away Kerry in championship games when the Kingdom have been vulnerable. Only Down have the lack of fear of the green and gold to fully put them away when other teams except maybe Tyrone and Cork can't.

Kerry looked ill disciplined yesterday and lacked leadership. Down commanded the pitch for around two thirds of the game and buried them in the last 15. The forward line is as strong as any in Ireland but midfield and defence are a bit suspect. McVeigh did well with two good stops to deny Kerry getting one foot back in the door in the second half. If Down really want to go all the way they will need to stay alert for the 70 minutes and chalk up a big half time lead against Kildare or the win against Kerry will be the only positive to take from this year. Everything clicked yesterday, the same might not happen against Kildare when you don't have an underdog tag.

Niall Quinn

Marty Clarke and Benny coulter were spotted in corrigan's pharmacy in malahide this morning. Marty picked up some Goldwell trendline shine spray, telling the attendant 'it's the only one that really adds glimmer right to the roots'. He offered a 100 AUD note, and after some frantic calculating by the shopkeeper, another 150 AUD was tendered.
Benny had a lively discussion with the hair consultant, before leaving with a red tweed bucket hat.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

imtommygunn

Quote from: fingerbob on August 01, 2010, 01:29:17 PM
Is it not a bit presumptious to assume kerry would have scored the disallowed "goal", considering the whole Down defence stopped and McVeigh stood with his hands in the air. The whistle was blown a good bit before he struck the ball.

Not only that but it should have been disallowed for the 7 or 8 steps your man took anyway. Definitely should have been disallowed but for the steps more than the handpass...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: John Martin on August 01, 2010, 03:54:38 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 01, 2010, 02:54:24 PM

Quote from: John Martin on August 01, 2010, 02:41:11 PM
I was in 329. What was this Tyrone lad up to?

And you missed all that? Idiot. No doubt you were as blocked as this Tyrone fella.

Idiot? That's a little bit harsh, we can't all be in Mensa you know.

Are you not in Dublin for the minor match today?

Some of us have jobs that don't involve heading home at 3 30 in the afternoon Monday to Friday and getting the entire Summer off.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

5 Sams

I really cant believe that a thread about Down's biggest achievement in nearly 20 years has turned into a discussion about some drunken tool from Tyrone :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Maguire01

Quote from: 45 metres on August 01, 2010, 09:10:33 PM
In the last few years teams like Monaghan, Sligo and Longford have like Down had the chance to put away Kerry in championship games when the Kingdom have been vulnerable. Only Down have the lack of fear of the green and gold to fully put them away when other teams except maybe Tyrone and Cork can't.
"Teams like Monaghan" weren't playing the team that Kerry had out yesterday.

Pangurban

Do any off you lads defending the sale and abuse of alcohol in Croker or any other stadium, ever engage your Brains, before you start tapping on your Key-Boards. Some off the responses here defy reason. Ignoring Wobblers abusive jibe about being narrow minded, if he thinks his view represents the majority of GAA supporters, he is self deluded. As for Stewards being responsible for maintaining order, with a drunken element that is a recipe for a riot, not even an immature child would suggest such a remedy. The simple fact is that alcohol has no place in GAA grounds, before or during Games. If a persons need for Alcohol is so great that he cannot abstain for a couple of Hours, then he should go to a Pub and watch the game on TV, not inflict himself on the real GAA majority who attend for the Football

Puckoon

Quote from: Pangurban on August 02, 2010, 12:58:48 AM
Do any off you lads defending the sale and abuse of alcohol in Croker or any other stadium, ever engage your Brains, before you start tapping on your Key-Boards. Some off the responses here defy reason. Ignoring Wobblers abusive jibe about being narrow minded, if he thinks his view represents the majority of GAA supporters, he is self deluded. As for Stewards being responsible for maintaining order, with a drunken element that is a recipe for a riot, not even an immature child would suggest such a remedy. The simple fact is that alcohol has no place in GAA grounds, before or during Games. If a persons need for Alcohol is so great that he cannot abstain for a couple of Hours, then he should go to a Pub and watch the game on TV, not inflict himself on the real GAA majority who attend for the Football

And thereby deny normal living patrons who enjoy a jar or two in a social setting. My right to have a pint at Croker is as lawful and morally sound as your right to not partake of a drink. It is the implementation of decent stewardship combined with the louts who go overboard that causes the problem. The idiots who disrupt the atmosphere for the rest of us - believe me they arent shelling out for over priced drink in Croke park and subsequently causing trouble, rather I'd wager (if wagering is ok with you) that they are getting pretty drunk before they come near the stadium.

Pangurban

Then they should be refused admission. I am not anti-alcohol,  but i do believe there is a time and place for it, and a sports stadium is not the place, particularly one frequented by families and young children.  We have a serious problem with alcohol in society generally and all sports bodies should doing what little they can to eradicate it. You claim to have a right too have a Pint in Croker, i would contest that. Do i have a right too have a Smoke in Croker, of course not, nor should i.

Puckoon

The effects caused by second hand smoke are much more pronounced and documented, not to mention they exist from the first smoke. I could have a pint right beside you and it wouldnt in any way affect your enjoyment of the day/game/situation. You'd only have cause for complaint if my behaviour changed in any way. It'd be like if I was eating myself to death with hang sandwiches in the seat next to you. Should'nt bother you in the slightest. You couldnt say the same if I was smoking in the seat next to you.

That is not even close to being a direct comparison.

BerfArmagh

Jack O Connor must be the most ungracious manager in defeat in the whole country

bcarrier

Quote from: bcarrier on July 26, 2010, 10:24:56 AM

Feck it Ive changed my mind ...Down ( and Dubs) to win on end of an era Saturday. That is a significantly weaker Kerry team than last year. Kealy , OMahony, Quirke, Walsh, Darran and Sheehan are well behind Murphy,Tomas, Darragh, Kennelly, Galvin and Tommy Walsh in my estimation.

B McVeigh       B Kealy                                          Adv Down                   
D McCartan      B Sheehan (capt)                           No Adv
D Gordon        K Donaghy                                     No Adv ( on Stars 2010 form)   
D Rafferty       C Cooper                                       Adv Kerry   
D Rooney        D Walsh                                        No Adv 
C Garvey         Declan O'Sullivan                            Adv Kerry   
K McKernan     Darran O'Sullivan                             Adv  Kerry
A Rodgers       S Scanlon                                      Adv Down
K King             M Quirke                                       No Adv
D Hughes        K Young                                       No Adv
M Poland         M McCarthy                                   Adv Kerry
P McComiskey  A O'Mahony                                   Adv Down ( boy wonder finds form)
B Coulter        T O'Sullivan                                    Adv Down 
J Clarke          T Griffin                                         Adv Kerry
M Clarke          M Ó Sé                                         Adv Down

Feck it I'm some pundit   :P

For me the big over achievers for Down on the day were McKernan and Poland . Garvey also did a great job on O'sullivan albeit that Declan may have been carrying an ankle injury .

I dont agree with the Quirke bashing on here either ...he got turned over for a few balls early on but Kerry won ten kickouts in a row between 15 and 25 minutes and it was only after he fell heavily on his shoulder that he was taken off and Down got a grip in midfield again.  Down should be worried about that phase of the game - Kildare have a big hungry middle eight and it will be a right scrap for the ball.

McKernan had an unbelievable match. All three half backs looked happy to play anywhere along and up the line and all have pace and good engines. Poland played like a young Brian McGuigan  and  McComiskey  delivered on the underage promise. Coulter and Hughes can play better than this so there is some scope for a few of our stars on Saturday having less productive days.

Down won the battle on the line .... Kerry looked like a team that made no specific preparations for exploiting Down weaknesses. Jack O' Connor has in the past been a master at this . The high balls in Gooch in the Mayo AIF, and last years move of D'OS to edge of square against Dubs come to mind. Down got the match ups around the field they wanted . McGeeney will come up with a plan to give our defenders more to think about.   

Hopefully Down can build on this...for now we have finally won a championship match in the rain and at the new Croke Park . As always Kerry gracious in defeat . I Hope Humphries is right ....

With the grace and class that has been their hallmark Kerry shook hands with the conquerors and vanished from the stage. They won't be gone for long. If Down are still centre stage when they return it will be a splendid rivalry to behold.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0802/1224276043074.html