All Ireland Quarter Final Kerry V Down

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

QuoteSame game included a humiliation of Pat's Bro Tom, a soccer novice turned him over scoring 2goals. - Withnill & I (I once scored 3 goals in a club match against Tom Spillane but you dont see me boasting about it)

Would never pass much heed on who scores what in an U12 game!!!!

crossfire

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 27, 2010, 10:35:19 PM
1. Never beat Down in Croker when it mattered. - We will give you that one but its history get over it
2. Never got to lay hands on them during the 70s and 80s Hay Days (quote from O'Dwyer I think) - or the 20's 30's 40's etc... or the 00's cause ye were just shite
3. Only managed one point against Down in the whole of the 2nd half in 91 semi.  Only Pat the puke was capable of scoring a single pt - and Pat was nearly 40 with 8 All Ireland medals and 2 wonky knees at the time, some man.
4. Same game signalled the end of Pat the puke and TV viewers have suffered ever since. - he was playing top level football for 17 years, at least something good came out of his retirement  ;)
5. Same game included a humiliation of Pat's Bro Tom, a soccer novice turned him over scoring 2goals. - Withnill & I (I once scored 3 goals in a club match against Tom Spillane but you dont see me boasting about it)

You are now. :)

Puckoon

So what you're saying is that Pat was a better defender than Tom?

But surely Pat was a half forward?

umpire

Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 27, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
SDC , that's pretty clear but I'm still not 100% this report is entirely accurate.I was at the game and remember that Kerry were way better.However, I also (vaguely) remember our CHF Shorty Trainor getting sent off but being able to come back on in extra time ?I will explore old clippings etc although it would have been some collapse to lose by 11 in extra-time.

Defo went to extra time, i was at that game. I remember we had a great chance to win that game when Mickey Linden set up Shorty for goal but was disallowed for square ball and later shorty was sent off for saying something to ref..

goldenyears

A lot of Down folks on here making eejits of themselves!
We have no right to be bumming about tradition when we have won f**k all in 20 years!

Hopefully we perform well and keep things close.
If we do then it will have been a superb 1st season for James and co.

If we get stuffed it will take the shine off what has been major progress + s/thing to build on in div 1 next year.

But seriously lads cut out the bullshit bravado for I fear we are about to walk into green/gold storm

Dubh driocht

This is going to be good.
I don't think Down will get a tanking as Mc Iver and Jerome Johnstone are as cute as they come. Everygame this year we've been in with a shout up until the last 5. While Tyrone strangled us for 45 minutes we we still had goal chances to draw level at the end and missed silly frees in both halves.So the organisation is there.Next- Tally seems to have them fit at the right time- they peaked too early over the last few years - he also seems to have a fair amount of say during the games - not so sure about this. James is the most confident player I've ever seen and no doubt the old 'Jack O'Shea/what's it like to share with a legend' story will get a few more airings over the next few days. He has brought this to management with both Queens and Down- can't say much about his short periods with St Galls and Ballinderry but they are significant in terms of man management. He has great composure and is a winner at Croke Park- minor and senior - was the MOM in 91 and scored the winner in 94.So good on the line.
On the team-we have top men in Dan Gordon,Ambrose Rogers, Marty Clarke and Benny Coulter.
They would be well in contention for places on the Kerry team. In the next division we have Dee Raffery,Kalum King, Danny Hughes and John Clarke. Would all make the Kerry panel. The rest would have been on minor panels for the Kingdom possibly with the exception of Mc Comiskey, who on his day could join the first four. But what James has done is build a team. Marty Clarke's professional experience has been immense- the Kerrymen will know what Kinnelly brought to them last year.I really want to see the team tested against the best- if we get close, draw or win it will be up there with the best.
I enjoy the Kerry posters ,especially Kerry Mike, so the next few days will be fun but the real fun starts at 2pm on Saturday. The ref will be important- anybody but Kinneavy

Kerry Mike

here you go Dubh Driocht....

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2010
Quarter FinalKerry V Down
Time: 2 00 PM, Venue: Páirc an Chrócaigh
Referee: Joe Mc Quillan
Extratime playable

Looking forward to it , Down are a great unknown for us, having never played them in recent times either in the league or championship and have only seen bits of them on TV recently. On paper Kerry will win, but there was never a game yet won on paper thankfullly. Its all on the day but thats the joys of sport.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

It was 1993 National League Quarter Final at Croker - Kerry won in extra time
Down team: Eamonn Connolly, Miceal Magill, Brian Burns, Paul Higgins, John Kelly, Barry Breen, D J Kane, Eamon Burns, Conor Deegan, Ross Carr (capt), Greg Blaney, Gary Mason, Mickey Linden, Peter Withnell, Brendan Mason. Shorty Treanor came on as sub and was harshly sent off.

blanketattack

After the '68 final did one of the Down players say that Kerry football was at least 10 years behind?

Mike Sheehy

That was Joe Lennon I believe. We then won 2 in a row whereas Down disappeared for almost quarter of a century  ::)
It was typical nordie arrogance, jumping the gun and writing us off while blowing their own trumpet. A fair bit of it going on here as well.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: magickingdom on July 27, 2010, 09:57:25 PM
a heading from the New York Times in sept 1960 or 61 at the end of the Cuban missile crisis was in our house for years along with a picture of the kerry team. it was 'Khrushchev backs Down' when Nikita Khrushchev soviet premier agreed not to put the missiles in Cuba at the 11th hour thus ending the crisis. My da a longtime new york gael thought it was very funny and loved showing it.

Good one MK

magickingdom

Quote from: redandblack4ever on July 27, 2010, 10:34:08 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on July 27, 2010, 10:17:00 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on July 27, 2010, 09:57:25 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 27, 2010, 09:09:51 PM
Kerry V Down on Saturday!  Down need to beware those Ky lads owe Down big time.  Just look at the records;

1. Never beat Down in Croker when it mattered.
2. Never got to lay hands on them during the 70s and 80s Hay Days (quote from O'Dwyer I think)
3. Only managed one point against Down in the whole of the 2nd half in 91 semi.  Only Pat the puke was capable of scoring a single pt
4. Same game signalled the end of Pat the puke and TV viewers have suffered ever since.
5. Same game included a humiliation of Pat's Bro Tom, a soccer novice turned him over scoring 2goals.

Watch Ky put all that crap to bed on Sat.  Guess all the pressure will be on Down ;) ;D

fancy kerry to fix that on sunday despite no thomas or galvin. we'll need to be wide awake to survive tho and down wont want to lose their record against kerry. on that note a heading from the New York Times in sept 1960 or 61 at the end of the Cuban missile crisis was in our house for years along with a picture of the kerry team. it was 'Khrushchev backs Down' when Nikita Khrushchev soviet premier agreed not to put the missiles in Cuba at the 11th hour thus ending the crisis. My da a longtime new york gael thought it was very funny and loved showing it.

Excellent!

Anyone who thinks that results from 50 years ago will put the current Kerry team under pressure needs to get a reality check.

Just a historical correction here. The Cuban Missile Crisis took place in October of 1962, not September of 1960 or 1961. So if you had a copy of the NY Times, it was a fake. I remember practicing "duck and cover" under our desks in my 3rd grade classroom. Scary time that was for us..Mrs redandblack4ever.

it was a 1962 headline so i wasnt around at the time redandblack - born a few years later than that! it was a framed ny times heading with the kerry and down teams from then. it got many a laugh from visitors to our house

Onlooker

I am sure that a lot of Kerry people are delighted to be playing Down as the fact that Down have a 100% record against them is obviously something they are not happy about.  It shows the greatness of those Down teams that they have such a good record against the Kingdom.  I was at 2 of those games and although I live a lot nearer to Kerry than to Down, i will be cheering for Down on Saturday.  Hopefully they will do well, but I fear that after the match, the record in Championship meetings between the two counties will read Down 4; Kerry 1.

A Quinn Martin Production

I hope Down do well but I honestly can't see them getting within 5 of Kerry :-\
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Kerry Mike

Quotethat Down have a 100% record against them is obviously something they are not happy about

Its something that does not cause me or I assume any Kerry people to lose much sleep about to be honest, Down have not come into our thoughts for a long long time, you know the media will drag up the history and comparisons all week that's their job to make things sound interesting.

Down have a great record and that will never be taken away from them they are up there with Cavan as the Ulster Kingpins, their team in the 60's were legends in their time and in an era when Kerry also won a few and Galway won their 3 in a row it was a good time for football. Unfortunatley their wins did not kick start football in Ulster until their second coming in the 90's, which did rouse Derry and Donegal however briefly as well and it took Armagh's success in the early 00's which has somehow created a Tyrone monster that is best not spoken about to create the curent high profile for Ulster teams, so maybe this may be the start of the 3rd Reich for Down, time will tell.

I'm only delighted to be back in Croke Park again at the business end of the season and to try and keep our 100% record in quarter finals intact, if Kerry win it will be another step along the way to hopefully keeping control of Mr Maguire for another year, and thats all we care about.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football