All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

I hung around for a good few minutes on Sturday - I think I was in shock ;) but then I overheard a chorus of Molly Malone -behind the lower cusack around section 310.
Went to investigate and lo and behold a posse of Dubs in a huddle arms around each other singing away to their hearts content. Chuckled to myself but then saw the poor old Tyrone lad in the middle of them singing away with gusto - Fair play

Man Marker

Quote from: rrhf on August 03, 2010, 03:36:50 PM
I think Jordan has been consistently excellent this year - I would hate to think he would be thinking that way.  Let the guys have their club football and then recruit again next year.  Im very disappointed looking back on this year that so few players have been blooded.  Coney, Mc Nabb, Mc Kenna, and others were apparently training aids looking back on it.  We felt last year that new blood was needed and we simply didnt bring them onto the field and we could be further on now had that happened.  Davey has been a great servant to Tyrone, Dooher one of if not the greatest servants, and I also think these guys were overused this year but I guess on hindsight neither should have really been playing full games.  Its hard to take a knife to the panel when so many have given so much and achieved so much but if that knife dosent come out we will be having this conversation, which we also had last year, in a years time again I fear.  As I said the biggest move I would love to see would be Harte taking the under 21s next year and supervising the progress of these young fellas - if not that Canavan and Chris Lawn, or indeed Munroe.    From memory Mc Guigan, Gourley, Mc Anallen, Gormley, Mc Gee etc were taken in early to the panel but were also given serious championship game time in the early 2000s.  They were by no means ready but it took those experiences al a Derry quarter final, Sligo, winning a national league etc to bring them on.  Im confident that Tyrone can get back up there sooner rather than later but Id have been much more confident if Kyle Coney had been there and nabbed a couple of points on Saturday even in defeat, of if Mc Kenna had came on instead of Mc Ginley,  I know these lads are raw but what age is Donie Shine and these guys. Darren Fay was 19 when he won an all ireland in 96.         

good post, Harte gave a number of players game time this year, but in truth none really made it difficult for him not to select them apart form peter harte. No doubt a number of plyers have to be introduced for next years championship ie 3 or 4 at most, and getting this achieved so that we can contest the latters stages will be Mickeys next job, if he ignores this the team will fall into disrepair and the ass will fall out of it. Mickey on the evidence should be smart enough to realsie that this evolution, and its success will mark him down as a truely exceptional manager who can walk with the Boylans of the world, after all Boylan built a couple of teams to win All Irelands

Croí na hÉireann

Entertaining day had in the Hogan on Sat. First time I had seen Tyrone in the flesh & I couldn't believe how haggered Dooher looked in the warm up. I was amazed Harte didn't take him off as he wasn't up to the pace at all. Still though Tyrone can count themselves very unlucky. The plan was to shoot over the massed Dublin defence from outside the hot zone and if they brought their scoring boots they'd be in the semi now. I couldn't believe Gilroy took off Brogan instead of O'Gara and then proceeded to bring him back on again, a decent manager would land Sam for the capital. MacAuley some player, if only he could kick...

Quote from: Hound on August 01, 2010, 08:51:24 AM
Absolutely delighted!!

I was feeling pretty negative in the first half. Got a good start to keep us in it, but even early on I thought Tyrone are too good for us.

But we kept with them in the 2nd half, and with Tyrone hitting plenty of wides, there was just the inkling of a chance we might nick it. When Al Brogan was taken off I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach! Unbelievable. Must admit that I cursed O'Gara out of it at times  :-[   but the boy got the big score.

It all worked out in the end. Fantastic win for us. I have no idea how good the Rossies are. Cork are the best team left, the other 4 are much of a muchness, so everyone has a chance.

You weren't the only one, when O'Gara hit his last effort of the day when the game was all but over, a Dublin man rose with a grin in front of me as if he was actually acclaiming the reliable freetaker on the team, "Every Time" he roars... Broke my bollox laughing...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

EC Unique

Quote from: rrhf on August 03, 2010, 03:36:50 PM
I think Jordan has been consistently excellent this year - I would hate to think he would be thinking that way.  Let the guys have their club football and then recruit again next year.  Im very disappointed looking back on this year that so few players have been blooded.  Coney, Mc Nabb, Mc Kenna, and others were apparently training aids looking back on it.  We felt last year that new blood was needed and we simply didnt bring them onto the field and we could be further on now had that happened.  Davey has been a great servant to Tyrone, Dooher one of if not the greatest servants, and I also think these guys were overused this year but I guess on hindsight neither should have really been playing full games.  Its hard to take a knife to the panel when so many have given so much and achieved so much but if that knife dosent come out we will be having this conversation, which we also had last year, in a years time again I fear.  As I said the biggest move I would love to see would be Harte taking the under 21s next year and supervising the progress of these young fellas - if not that Canavan and Chris Lawn, or indeed Munroe.    From memory Mc Guigan, Gourley, Mc Anallen, Gormley, Mc Gee etc were taken in early to the panel but were also given serious championship game time in the early 2000s.  They were by no means ready but it took those experiences al a Derry quarter final, Sligo, winning a national league etc to bring them on.  Im confident that Tyrone can get back up there sooner rather than later but Id have been much more confident if Kyle Coney had been there and nabbed a couple of points on Saturday even in defeat, of if Mc Kenna had came on instead of Mc Ginley,  I know these lads are raw but what age is Donie Shine and these guys. Darren Fay was 19 when he won an all ireland in 96.         

Good post RRHF. Agree with it and I believe you will see alot of this next year. Harte is bound to know he needs to evolve the team. By the way I think Cavanagh was 19 in 03?

tonto1888

may have been mentioned before but what does the future hold the likes of mcmenamin, holmes and dooher?

Canalman

Traditionally alot of "Allstars" are lost as a result of bad 1/4 final losses.

Agree that I cannot see any Tyrone,Kerry, Meath, Roscommon winners.

Cooper surely deserves one though imo.

Fuzzman

Harte has a lot of pluses but I think his biggest weakness is his stubbornness and over loyalty to some players
Sometimes it has paid off and other times it definitely haven't

Mugsy is a prime example where lots of more ruthless managers would have dropped him years ago but instead Mickey comes up with the story that you have to respect some people's individuality. Most of us would have dropped him before that wonder goal in 2005 but look how he played after that & won an all Star.

I for one thought he could pack it in this year or be dropped but again he worked hard and lost some weight and for me had a good championship so well done Mickey
However, we all have our thoughts on poor Davey and a few others but players like Sean O'Neill, Carlin look like good replacements but struggle to get the same slack as some others do.

One last thing I forgot to mention.
Did anyone think it was crazy to put SoN in at half time but not to kick the ball into him.
I can only remember him getting the ball 2 or 3 times with one bad wide kicked.
I think Tyrone have given up on kicking the ball into the FF line with a lot players preferring to fist it up the pitch all the time in case the sweeper intercepts it. This is OK sometimes but a bit like with the kickouts, you can't become to predictable and do the same thing all the time. I'd like to have seen the Dublin players struggle to know was it gonna be kicked in high or in low and fast.

I know we're not allowed to slag off Mickey but I for one have become a bit demoralised with the way we play recently and we've lost our swashbuckling care free attacking style where we cut teams to threads sometimes.
Its all about percentages and so it becomes very very predictable.
I think most neutrals will be delighted

Gaffer

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2010, 05:22:23 PM
may have been mentioned before but what does the future hold the likes of mcmenamin, holmes and dooher?

Ricey and Dooher may decide to retire from county duty

Holmes may decide to continue his retirement from county duty
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Sandino

Fair play to the Dubs, just because they had a bit of luck does not deminish their victory. This result has cost Pascal his All Star I fear.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

trileacman

Alot of "woe is me" and the "the end is nigh" remarks on this thread.

Firstly, and I know how this is going to sound, but can be we stop blaming lack of success at U-21 for defeat to Dublin. The roll of honour includes Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Galway who are hardly glowing successes at AI level yet. Winning U-21's is important but hardly vital. Also the statistics show how difficult it is to follow minor success with U-21. In fact its almost take one or the other. If you are going to criticise the management then it should be on the basis of the U-21's preformances and not the seniors.

Secondly, does anyone really believe we had a technically inferior starting 15 to the dubs?? The key to our defeat was not in resources but in tactics, desire and most importantly the championship format. Harte is smart enough to know this, that is why it is such a bug bear to him. Dublin got all the breaks going into the match, underdog tag, momentum, a defeat which exposed their flaws and allowed management to fix their system and line-up and also the crucial few run outs in croke park which allow you to adapt to a environment completely different to all the others in Ireland.

Tyrone lost this AI when we let ourselves beat Down in the Ulster Championship. Had we had the self control to pace ourselves for the long run, fly under the radar and demolish some softer teams whilst honing our formation and tactics then we would be in the AI semi's. End-off.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Puckoon

Or simlarly we could have lost to Down and faced Cork in the next round - neither scenario leaves you in good shape.

clarshack

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 03, 2010, 05:42:24 PM

Did anyone think it was crazy to put SoN in at half time but not to kick the ball into him.

I know we're not allowed to slag off Mickey

yes, i mentioned it in a previous post about SON. was very like the cork game last year.

nobody should be immune from constructive criticism.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

Firstly, and I know how this is going to sound, but can be we stop blaming lack of success at U-21 for defeat to Dublin. The roll of honour includes Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Galway who are hardly glowing successes at AI level yet. Winning U-21's is important but hardly vital. Also the statistics show how difficult it is to follow minor success with U-21. In fact its almost take one or the other. If you are going to criticise the management then it should be on the basis of the U-21's preformances and not the seniors.

Secondly, does anyone really believe we had a technically inferior starting 15 to the dubs?? The key to our defeat was not in resources but in tactics, desire and most importantly the championship format. Harte is smart enough to know this, that is why it is such a bug bear to him. Dublin got all the breaks going into the match, underdog tag, momentum, a defeat which exposed their flaws and allowed management to fix their system and line-up and also the crucial few run outs in croke park which allow you to adapt to a environment completely different to all the others in Ireland.

Tyrone lost this AI when we let ourselves beat Down in the Ulster Championship. Had we had the self control to pace ourselves for the long run, fly under the radar and demolish some softer teams whilst honing our formation and tactics then we would be in the AI semi's. End-off.

What a load of rubbish....If you are good enough you will win, if you aren't you won't....that's like Dublin saying that thye lost in previous years due to the format of the championship rather than not being good enough...

nrico2006

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 04, 2010, 12:57:44 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 03, 2010, 11:24:55 PM

What a load of rubbish....If you are good enough you will win, if you aren't you won't....that's like Dublin saying that thye lost in previous years due to the format of the championship rather than not being good enough...

No harm DFS, but what you are after saying is the biggest load of rubbish I have read in a while.  If our view was correct, then there would be no point in sport being played competitively.  The best team/individual or team with better players don't always win, if that was the case why should the like of Wolves or Burnley even travel to Chelsea or Man Utd in football, or why should any other golfer other than Toger Woods even sign up to compete in a tournament he is playing in.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Because being good enough is more than just natural talent. It's talent, plus preparation, plus mental attitude, plus gameplan, plus a biteen of luck.

Sometimes the best team on paper may not be good enough on the day. Hence the phrase, 'on any given day'.