All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2010, 06:47:00 AM
dublin were due a few breaks. Having had none for 5 years. Watched it again we deserved it . Hunted in packs and tackled manfully. Tyrones tactics were a disaster. You cant win a match on short kickouts. Played right into  our hands. Surprised at harte. We also have bernard brogan. Tyrone no longer have a marquee forward
You also have the best keeper in the country, I know his All Stars have been the subject of ridicule on here but he is outstanding.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Maguire01

Quote from: tyroneman on August 01, 2010, 06:58:08 AM
I don't think this is the end for Tyrone however it could well be 3-4 years before we challenge the top teams again. We need to unearth two scoring forwards and a playmaker. Coney could yet fit the bill.
Rubbish. Tyrone should still be well able to challenge next year. You can hardly just conclude that Dublin and Down have taken Tyrone and Kerry's places in the top 3 - it's not quite that simple.

Maguire01

Quote from: mackers on August 01, 2010, 09:56:27 AM
dublin were due a few breaks. Having had none for 5 years. Watched it again we deserved it . Hunted in packs and tackled manfully. Tyrones tactics were a disaster. You cant win a match on short kickouts. Played right into  our hands. Surprised at harte. We also have bernard brogan. Tyrone no longer have a marquee forward
You also have the best keeper in the country, I know his All Stars have been the subject of ridicule on here but he is outstanding.
He was great yesterday. As was McVeigh for Down. Hard to see the two of these not nominated this year.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2010, 07:29:29 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 30, 2010, 11:13:10 PM
The juxtaposition of the bravado of the Dublin lads on this board in the Dublin vs Tyrone quarter-final '08 against the corresponding fixture of 2010 is nothing short of breathtaking; how could those so full of hubris be reduced to the crumbling wrecks of circumspection and fragility that they now find their footballing egos to be inextricably lodged in?
I wish, as a Tyrone-exiled and Dublin-domiciled, I could empathise and identify fully with the predicament of being brought sharply back to footballing reality, where the ultimate win in 1995 through the twin mechanisms of both a player overstaying his legal time on the pitch and a perfectly valid equalising point being denied by the honest incompetency of an honest referee, was seen by the vast majority of Jacks as nothing more than the rightful restitution of a dubious footballing hierarchy and restoration of an even more dubious natural order!
Alas, those same Dubliners, the fantastic colour and beautiful and unrivalled cacophony notwithstanding, have no idea of the torture that some Tyronies have had to endure over the years. Like the humiliation in 1984, when as a young lad with a full head of (now seemingly magically) coloured hair, how I watched as those 'brutes' of Dublin men made a bee-line for the Hill 16 end to warm up, despite the fact that our 'brave' ;) Tyrone lads were already there; OK, they weren't much good in the game itself afterwards (minor detail), the psychology these days doesn't bear comparison, but to hear some of the Dubs now complain about the 'Trash-Talk' and the rest... yeah, right. Oh, the arrogance, bastids!
Well Dublin, what went around has come around (eventually), and ye know ye feckers, the result is almost an irrelevance tomorrow – it's been some fun hearing the silence in the Capital this week. That's a sound I am most unaccustomed to, despite having spent 13 Julys here at various times. And it's also why I'll have no sympathy whatsofcukinever if we turn you over in Croke once again. Your lads shouldn't have been the insufferable bullies they were in 1984, not to mention the cheats of '95 ;)!
;D
stick that up your arse you sanctimonius git. And the next time you want to question the heritage of dublin football check the roll of honour.↲Well done to down. Take it all back. A sound bunch of lads. A great day. Well done to all. On a bender.

Where did you say you were for that jar?  :D

Up da Dubs  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

heffo

Really delighted with the result - though Harte had a very poor game on the sideline - he didn't react to how things were panning out and the short kickouts were a disaster. Gilroy got his tactics spot on.

I wouldn't be writing Tyrone's obituary just yet - a bit of freshening up in a couple of areas should see them back.

Thought the Tyrone fans yesterday were top drawer - never met so many fans from a team that has lost a big match be so gracious and congratulatory.

goal and a point

watched the match this morning - agree that tyrones kick outs played into dublin hands especially in the 2nd half - look back at the cork game last year - just gave them chance to get men behind the ball - maybe tyrone never learned from last year.

why did penrose come off he was tyrones best tackler, great work rate etc - he seemed confused coming off.

if you were a tyrone sub especially forwards you would be wondering 10 mins to go maybe mcguigan or dooher could have been replaced. they semed dead on their feet and werent going  to get scores.

Beat by a hungrier and more clinical team on the day

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2010, 09:57:14 AM
I don't think this is the end for Tyrone however it could well be 3-4 years before we challenge the top teams again. We need to unearth two scoring forwards and a playmaker. Coney could yet fit the bill.
Rubbish. Tyrone should still be well able to challenge next year. You can hardly just conclude that Dublin and Down have taken Tyrone and Kerry's places in the top 3 - it's not quite that simple.

I'd agree with that. Every team has good years and bad years. Tyrone still won Ulster. Siognificant of how far they've come that is considered a bad year.
But Tyrone have to find midfielders who can field. Just suppose they had won yesterday and Cork won today. Cork would have beaten them up the M1 with tactics like that. Harte needs to rememeber that you can't play Gaelic Football like an American Football playbook. This crack of the slow build up as the only tactic being used was incredibly naieve. It is so easy to defend against if you are well organised in defence.

Where are all the tyrone minors going? They've had some great minor teams in the last few years but they seem to get lost at u21 level. Something going wrong there.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2010, 10:57:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on August 01, 2010, 09:57:14 AM

But Tyrone have to find midfielders who can field.

That really struck me yesterday - there was no plan B from Harte - playing the short kickout EVERY time rather than mixing it up, allowed Dublin to get everyone behind the ball and force possesion turnovers or force Tyrone to kick it long or shoot from 45ish yards out.

rrhf

Fair play to the Dubs - great craic from their passionate supporters and now a team capable of winning Sam.  Also fair play to Down on a stunning performance and keeping the Ulster flag flying, and the wee minors will keep us going for a while yet. 

The Tyrone management set up need to seriously evaluate what they were trying to do yesterday...I think its time for fresh ideas. 

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on August 01, 2010, 11:16:36 AM
The Tyrone management set up need to seriously evaluate what they were trying to do yesterday...I think its time for fresh ideas.

Thats what has me baffled - Harte (or that funny looking fella with the tache) are the master tacticians - why didn't the change things around?

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ONeill

Jacko on the Times todays says he was more disappointed with Tyrone than his own county. Thinks their negative tactics of using old legs to build from the back for 70 mins deserved to be a losing one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on August 01, 2010, 11:51:08 AM
Jacko on the Times todays says he was more disappointed with Tyrone than his own county. Thinks their negative tactics of using old legs to build from the back for 70 mins deserved to a losing one.

You must have a midfielder in tyrone though? I mean I'm absolutely staggered that a tactical genius like Harte could get it so wrong on the kickouts.

ONeill

But it was very close to working. On 40 minutes, Tyrone had turned a 6-2 deficit into a 10-8 lead and looking strong, using that exact tactic - build from the back and run through them - Dublin could only foul. You cannot legislate for 18 wides. Perhaps McConnell could've mixed it a bit when things started to tire on 55-60 mins.

The short kick out sort of neutralised what Dooher and McGuigan does best, foraging for breaking ball.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RealSpiritof98

Just a sidenote, did anyone clean Ger Cannings chair after his obvious orgasm at Cluxton catching a simple ball into the box, he did the same when Moynahan was about.