All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I think Dublin have a reasonable chance in this one. I haven't been impressed by Tyrone's form so far, though like Kerry, you'd be foolish to write them off on the basis of past performances. We know they are the real deal and they rarely disappoint when the games matter, still I have a feeling they are there for the taking. The question is whether Dublin are good enough to take advantage? Probably not, they certainly don't have the better footballers but they may have their day tomorrow all the same.

O'Gara looks to me to be the kind of player that could win ball against any defender but hasn't the ability to do too much damage with it. But if he could win it and the Brogans, Cullen etc. could be there to finish Dublin might get enough to win. I think 1-13 will win this game, maybe even 0-12, so if Dublin can get in around there they'll be in with a chance.

Without SON the Tyrone forward line is good but far from great, if SON can't play a big part tomorrow I think Tyrone will post a beatable score and if Dublin get a goal they might be able to beat it.

Tyrone are the proven big game performers so you'd have to go with them but I give Dublin a chance. Tyrone by 2-3.

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Mickeys beard on July 30, 2010, 05:50:03 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on July 30, 2010, 02:25:00 PM
Quote from: Mickeys beard on July 30, 2010, 12:57:53 AM
Just done a bet on Hughes to score first goal at 25/1 and another at
Hughes to get last score of game at 25/1. with paddypower.  unfortunately couldn't do a combo!

MB, if you canny get a combo with Paddy Power online, ring the hooers and they will give you combo odds over the phone
cheers

They were having none of it. Hoors.  Don't know what the big deal is-only a 625-1 combo!
Boil the Drawers!

ONeill

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 30, 2010, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 30, 2010, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
Is there any scribe out there tipping the Jacks?

Not a wan - and rightly so

Justin McNulty in Herald

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mcnulty-this-is-a-huge-opportunity-for-dublin-2279372.html

"I would actually call Dublin," he boldly declares.

INTENSITY

Even the early-summer selection flux, he surmises, has fostered competition as opposed to uncertainty. "When players are comfortable in their starting position, then they may not have the competitive edge as much as they maybe could," he points out. "Whereas when a player knows that he must perform in every match and every training session, that breeds a massive level of intensity and competitiveness within the panel for positions on the starting team, and then that obviously leads to competitiveness in terms of their performance.

So Dublin are going to provide a massive challenge for Tyrone, and it's one I think that Dublin will win." He concludes: "I do really believe this is going to be a massive opportunity for Dublin.

"And, you know, if they can overcome Tyrone, they've been transformed from no-hopers to real genuine contenders here."

Watch this space ..
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

north down

Quote from: heffo on July 30, 2010, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: north down on July 29, 2010, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 28, 2010, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: north down on July 28, 2010, 10:36:52 PM
I hate having to pay the 3.5 euro commission but what can you do especially given the short timeframe to get tickets.

Become a member of the GAA?

Heffo
I am and have been for more than 30 years but moved away from my home club area for work reasons - but am still a member of and have great loyalty to my club. The difficulty is with the short notice you have to weigh up travelling 50 or 60 miles for a ticket or pay the 3.5 euro to ticketmaster.

My apologies so ND - if you're in Dublin and you ever need a ticket let me know

Heffo
No problem - thanks for the offer and you never know I may take you up on it sometime. I'm usually OK for a ticket from my own club back home as long as I get a bit of notice.

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 08:52:42 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on July 30, 2010, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 30, 2010, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
Is there any scribe out there tipping the Jacks?

Not a wan - and rightly so

Justin McNulty in Herald

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mcnulty-this-is-a-huge-opportunity-for-dublin-2279372.html

"I would actually call Dublin," he boldly declares.

INTENSITY

Even the early-summer selection flux, he surmises, has fostered competition as opposed to uncertainty. "When players are comfortable in their starting position, then they may not have the competitive edge as much as they maybe could," he points out. "Whereas when a player knows that he must perform in every match and every training session, that breeds a massive level of intensity and competitiveness within the panel for positions on the starting team, and then that obviously leads to competitiveness in terms of their performance.

So Dublin are going to provide a massive challenge for Tyrone, and it's one I think that Dublin will win." He concludes: "I do really believe this is going to be a massive opportunity for Dublin.

"And, you know, if they can overcome Tyrone, they've been transformed from no-hopers to real genuine contenders here."

Watch this space ..

Mc nulty is involved with Armagh coaching setup isn't he? Having watched them a few weeks ago his analysis has been rendered redundant in my view.

Puckoon

Indiana - I have to hand it to you. You are some craic. :)

Good luck, but not too much luck, on Saturday.

ONeill

Found another - Jayo thinks the Dubs will nick it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 09:38:48 PM
Mc nulty is involved with Armagh coaching setup isn't he? Having watched them a few weeks ago his analysis has been rendered redundant in my view.

Mc Nulty's at the cute hoorism big-time, just shows what a bit of pushing and shoving from a Dublin player (in the Armagh game) can induce  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Jayo:

Tyrone v Dublin

These teams met at the same stage two years ago but there is no question that there is a totally different opinion of where both teams are in their development this year. Back then, Tyrone had stumbled into a quarter final overcoming Mayo in a scrappy game whereas Dublin came in on the back of a resounding Leinster final victory over Wexford. It looked liked the only logical outcome was that Dublin were primed to dispose of an aging Tyrone team but on the day that certainly wasn't the case and Tyrone proved they had a lot more big performances in them.
This year there has almost been a role reversal. Tyrone arrive on the back of the most comprehensive performance of the championship so far versus Monaghan. Playing Dublin is just the challenge Mickey Harte's men will revel in as they are a big game team.
"When I think of Tyrone's strengths the first word that springs to mind is versatility, not only in their style of play but also in how they can finish a game out and do whatever is necessary. Most teams have a plan A and B but with Tyrone you would struggle to work out where their next attack will come from."
Dublin on the other hand arrive on the back of some confidence boosting wins in the qualifiers but without much proof that they can mix it with the big boys yet. Pat Gilroy has been keen to stress all year that this is a transition year for his Dublin team so it would be very hard to make a case for Dublin this Saturday. However, I believe that reducing the burden of expectation from Dublin will help them perform to their potential, something Dublin have come nowhere near to doing in their last two quarter final appearances.
Most logic will convince you that this is a bridge too far for this Dublin team and they are only a stepping stone for Tyrone to overcome on the way to bigger and better things.
"But I can't get the performance that Dublin produced to beat Tyrone in Omagh in the league out of my head, Dublin have proved to themselves that they can beat Tyrone in their back yard and they go into this game as massive underdogs, something that has not happened in a long time. I'm not sure if it's my heart overruling my head but I can see the Hill 16 faithful getting a performance to be proud of on Saturday evening."
Verdict - Dublin

Fear ón Srath Bán

INDIANA

jaysus only 6 dublin players are starting from that league game. Do these guys do any analysis when writing such?

Gaffer

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 10:00:39 PM
Jayo:

I'm not sure if it's my heart overruling my head but I can see the Hill 16 faithful getting a performance to be proud of on Saturday evening."

Why? Who are Man U playing on Saturday evening?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on July 30, 2010, 10:00:39 PM
Jayo:

Tyrone v Dublin

"... I’m not sure if it’s my heart overruling my head but I can see the Hill 16 faithful getting a performance to be proud of on Saturday evening."
Verdict - Dublin

A wee clue for you there Jayo, erm... I think that you might just be letting your (natural, totally understandable) bias show  ;)

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 10:03:50 PM
jaysus only 6 dublin players are starting from that league game. Do these guys do any analysis when writing such?

Ah in fairness to him, he's the first columnist since Bernie Flynn in the Hedild about seven years ago who writes his own stuff

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on July 30, 2010, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2010, 10:03:50 PM

Ah in fairness to him, he's the first columnist since Bernie Flynn in the Hedild about seven years ago who writes his own stuff

Surprised consideirng he wouldn't be known for his love of the management. I suppose the mystery recall might have had something to do with it.