All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: crossfire on July 27, 2010, 02:24:08 PM
Did Tyrone ever play Sligo in the championship since Mickey Harte became manager.?

No. One and only championship meeting was in 2002 signaling the end of the McRory and Mc Kenna rein. Harte took up the ropes the next year.

rrhf

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278038/
thats about all Im capable of doing with it unfortunately.  O Neill should be able to help you better here.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Arguably the best draw we could have secured (feck, that 1984 humiliation still rankles  ;)), and no doubt the lads will rise to the occasion.

Hard to know how far the Dubs have really progressed; after that fluke result against Meath (had they played them again the next day, they may not even have lost, such were the wild odds on that particular permutation of a game panning out), they've motored fairly nicely, but still a few fundamental issues there I feel that the weak opposition in the last few games have not fully exposed, nor even exposed at all. Undeniably, the fact that most of that team carry no baggage of heavy defeat into the contest at this stage of the Championship is a plus, but the flip-side is that they don't carry much experience either of the challenge such as they'll face in Croke's cauldron on Saturday.

As for ourselves, 'twas like being transported back to 2003 in Clones at times, such was the martial precision of movement and almost telepathic organisation. And the application from some of the more seasoned heads harked back to the days of not so yore, none more so than the performance of Conor Gormley, the demise of whom as a County player after the NFL game against Dublin in Omagh one Dublin poster hereon hailed with ill-conceived glee (you know who you are  ;)).

Anyways, bring it on!

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Declan

One side of me says that we are so bad that we could get another trimming but then again I don't really know how good Tyrone are as they've beaten no one of note yet. Knowing Mickey Harte though and those boys I reckon anything less than 8/9 points defeat would indicate progress for de cheeky Dubs.

PS - A real small part of me says we can get on a run and stuff them but that's heart rather then head.

offtheground

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 27, 2010, 02:27:59 PM
Did Tyrone ever play Sligo in the championship since Mickey Harte became manager.?

No. One and only championship meeting was in 2002 signaling the end of the McRory and Mc Kenna rein. Harte took up the ropes the next year.

Here ye go, reports on that match..

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2002/07/26/story72.asp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/2142637.stm

nrico2006

Quote from: Declan on July 27, 2010, 03:32:06 PM
One side of me says that we are so bad that we could get another trimming but then again I don't really know how good Tyrone are as they've beaten no one of note yet. Knowing Mickey Harte though and those boys I reckon anything less than 8/9 points defeat would indicate progress for de cheeky Dubs.

PS - A real small part of me says we can get on a run and stuff them but that's heart rather then head.

Tyrone have beat Monaghan who handed out a hammering to a team that Dublin scraped by and also beat another team that is now also in the Quarters, so hardly anything of note.  I would actually say its Dublin who have played nobody of note apart from Meath who thrashed them.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zapatista

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 27, 2010, 04:13:38 PM
Quote from: Declan on July 27, 2010, 03:32:06 PM

Tyrone have beat Monaghan who handed out a hammering to a team that Dublin scraped by and also beat another team that is now also in the Quarters, so hardly anything of note.  I would actually say its Dublin who have played nobody of note apart from Meath who thrashed them.

Who should have lost to Louth who were hammered by Dublin. I think past results will count for very little.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: offtheground on July 27, 2010, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 27, 2010, 02:27:59 PM

Here ye go, reports on that match..

http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2002/07/26/story72.asp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/2142637.stm

GAA: Croker thriller as Sligo topple Tyrone

Sligo 1-14, Tyrone 0-12

TRUE superstars? Yeah, Sligo are getting closer. Much closer. In the maelstrom of what is an even bigger Croke Park, where expectations have increased in size, Sligo secured an All-Ireland quarter-final berth by virtue of an often splendid five-points (1-14 to 0-12) defeat of Tyrone: Peter Canavan's Tyrone.
Last Sunday's display was, at times, magnificent; Peter Ford's side exuded a level of resilience not witnessed since Sligo's last great episode at GAA headquarters, the 2001 All-Ireland SFC 'Qualifier' defeat of Kildare.
The game's only goal, when Dessie Sloyan venomously lashed the rebound from Gerry McGowan's point attempt in the 26th minute of the second period, lifted Sligo into the lead (1-12 to 0-12) for the first time in the second-half, a merited advantage which they never relinquished, but later enhanced thanks to late points from Sloyan, the goalscorer, and midfielder Paul Durcan, the team's oldest player.
This goal, Sligo's first-ever in the country's best-known and now finest Gaelic Games venue, re-directed the lead in Sligo's favour after 63 minutes of mostly trailing their opponents; Sligo, in fact, opened the scoring through Sloyan's floated point after 19 seconds.
What has almost become their recent trademark, Sligo, beaten Connacht finalists, initially allowed their opponents to strut; Tyrone, all subtle movement and clever passes, were six points ahead after 19 frantic minutes (0-8 to 0-2) with Peter Canavan, inevitably, waving a magician's wand.
The spell didn't last, though.
Sligo eventually stirred from their slumber as the first-half unfolded; last year's National League semi-finalists grew more menacing in defence, a change prompted by the 25th minute introduction of Neil Carew and due, also, to the presence in the starting 15 of Nigel Clancy, Noel McGuire and David Durkin.
This trio performed like they can, McGuire and Durkin confidently re-asserting themselves at this level.
At crucial moments of the first period when Tyrone's control of the game was almost overwhelming, Sligo midfielder Eamon O'Hara, assisted by Paul Durcan's solid toil, reached for the gods and tacked two much-needed points onto the scoreboard.
Sligo's attack improved, too.
Gerry McGowan, who failed to exploit a glorious second minute goal chance, began to drift into the wide expanses of Croker's luscious sward.
His team-mates began to find him with neater passes; McGowan, suitably supplied, began to frustrate Tyrone's corner-back, Conor Gormley, who was later substituted.
While the initiative of Kieran Quinn and Mark Breheny was noticeable, and Dessie Sloyan, although not at his maximum, struck the game's only goal (he was the team's top scorer with 1-3), it would be a travesty not to mention the work-rate of John McPartland and Dara McGarty.
The former Connacht Minor finalists were both superb; McPartland for his sheer industry: he foraged everywhere, particularly in defence.
McGarty was not only the energetic player as suggested by his encouraging appearances as a substitute, against Leitrim and Galway, he was much more.
McGarty was a creator of scores and a taker of opportunities, including four well-kicked points (the last of these, significantly, was the equalising point in the 20th minute of the second-half).
However, the Ulster side's interval advantage was two points (0-9 to 0-7); the best of their first-half scores were weaved by Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill.
Sligo's defence was sometimes too brittle in the opening quarter; Mark Cosgrove and Patrick Naughton among those who felt the pressure.
That this sector later showed composure owed much to the work of other players whose interceptions and harrying, further afield, alleviated and blunted Tyrone's force.
Sligo could have billowed Tyrone's net on at least four first-half occasions; McGowan, Quinn, Breheny and Sloyan either failed or were unlucky to prosper from encouraging scenarios.
Kieran Quinn's 35th minute effort sparked gasps as he pumped a shot just over Peter Ward's crossbar following a smoothly transferred pass from Mark Breheny.
At the other end, an important sixth minute interception from goalkeeper James Curran was enough to foil the goal thoughts of Brian McGuigan.
The second-half began ferociously; Peter Canavan's point, within seconds of the re-start, was almost immediately followed by a similar crisp score from Dara McGarty.
What made McGarty's effort hugely different, though, was that the shot, if struck lower, would have zoomed past Tyrone's net-minder Peter Ward.
It raised the hopes of the vast Sligo contingent; cheers exceeded the normal level when Paul Taylor, once defined as the county's talisman but in the last months stifled by injury, was brought on in the 11th minute of the second-half.
Three minutes before Taylor appeared Gerry McGowan had, perhaps, the game's clearest goal chance.
Sent through by John McPartland's deft pass, McGowan slipped past his marker before sliding the ball, via a low shot, past Peter Ward. The ball also skippped past the post.
McGowan needn't have worried; he was later to play a big role in Sloyan's goal as it was his point attempt, from Taylor's guided ball, which set up the chance.
Fate smiled, the ball smacked off the upright and Sloyan, faced with a chance that he rarely misses, did the rest.
The second-half, a period of 39 minutes which yielded only three Tyrone points, showed Sligo either playing exceptionally, or close to it.
The losers, in a rather shocking contrast to their first-half style, didn't score for the last 28 minutes.
Dara McGarty, Noel McGuire, John McPartland and David Durkin added to their reputations; Johnny Davey made his Championship debut and Seán Davey was introduced for the last 11 minutes.
Of the second-half points scored, Dara McGarty and Eamon O'Hara each lofted fine scores; Dessie Sloyan converted frees in a manner which echoed his contribution in last year's memorable humbling of Kildare. True superstars? Getting closer. Next stop: the All-Ireland SFC Championship quarter-final.

Sligo James Curran, Mark Cosgrove, Nigel Clancy, Brendan Phillips, Noel McGuire, David Durkin, Patrick Naughton, Paul Durcan (0-1), Eamon O'Hara (0-3), Dara McGarty (0-4), Mark Breheny (0-1), Kieran Quinn (0-1), Dessie Sloyan (1-3, 2f), John McPartland, Gerry McGowan (0-1, 1f)
Subs used Neil Carew, Paul Taylor, Seán Davey, Johnny Davey
Tyrone Peter Ward, Conor Gormley, Chris Lawn, Brian Robinson, Ryan McMenamin, Conor McGinley, Philip Jordan, Conor McAnallen (0-1), Colin Holmes, Brian Dooher, Pascal Canavan (0-1), Declan McCrossan, Brian McGuigan (0-1), Stephen O'Neill (0-2), Peter Canavan (0-7, 3f)
Subs used Ciaran Gourley, Kevin Hughes, Gerard Cavlan, Eoin Mulligan
Referee: John Bannon (Longfort) 

Brilliant report! Hardly a mention of a Tyrone player  :D. "Peter Canavan's Tyrone"...how things have changed. And that man Bannon! Conor for Cormac?

Fuzzman

Thanks for the HUGE flag Fear
I have it above my desk at work now with a lot of unhappy Dubs walking about with matches.

Archie Mitchell

Tyrones own

Quote from: cadhlancian on July 27, 2010, 05:02:20 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on July 27, 2010, 12:08:06 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 26, 2010, 11:50:24 PM
I suppose there's no point in guessing Mickey's corner backs. I'd imagine it'll be the same line out with O'Neill used late on if needed.
Don't know if I care to see Tommy start this one, McCullagh needs a good run out.
dont think you will have to worry about that Mac, hes out I believe for the forseeable future
Jaysus, have you an inside line or what...bate the BBC to it!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 27, 2010, 04:34:27 PM
Thanks for the HUGE flag Fear
I have it above my desk at work now with a lot of unhappy Dubs walking about with matches.

You're welcome Fman, just don't give them my address  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kerry Mike

So who is supporting us in the first game or are ye all staying in the pubs.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 27, 2010, 07:12:37 PM
So who is supporting us in the first game or are ye all staying in the pubs.

I suppose Ye'll need the extra support as it's not the final. ;D
Boil the Drawers!

Kerry Mike

too true the early game on a saturday of the busiest bank holiday weekend of the year and the Golf on in Killarney too, there will be very few travelling I'd say. I'll be there though
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football