All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeys beard

Think people are giving Cork far too much respect.  They will be lucky to survive the Gaelic Grounds tomorrow. I've said it before, last year's semi-final was a superhuman effort, coupled with illness in the Tyrone side and John Bannon.  Cork haven't played as well since.  If you take Daniel Goulding and the O'Neills out of the game, you've a good chance of beating them. 
I would be happy for Tyrone to meet Cork in the next round.  No motivation needed.
Boil the Drawers!

Puckoon

Fuzz - I am not saying it will happen - I am just thinking "if".

Anyway - I'll pull the horns back in.

armaghniac

QuoteIf Mickey happened to find a way to beat Cork (and here will come the Tyrone bashing) - he'd have to go down as one of the very best in the game. He's found a way to beat most systems - except the one he used most successfully. Found a way to beat the intensity and strength of Armagh - and make sure Tyrone won the last 10 minutes, which no team had done against that 2002-2003 armagh side. Found a way to nullify the kerry threat and outscore them in a couple of fantastic games. I'd be pretty nervous facing Cork - but it'd be a hell of a way to win a fourth AIF.

True enough, Puck, it is a pity he didn't wait another year or two. If Tyrone do draw Cork and beat them and then beat Kerry then they will have set a marker for the new decade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Stevie O'Neill - I know he's a majestic player, but do you ever think that other players up their game in his absence? In 2008 the likes of Tommy and Colm came to the fore. Last year, when Stevie was tied up v Cork Tyrone suffered. This year, after he exited the scene v Down the game changed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Mickeys beard on July 23, 2010, 10:24:27 PM
Think people are giving Cork far too much respect.  They will be lucky to survive the Gaelic Grounds tomorrow. I've said it before, last year's semi-final was a superhuman effort, coupled with illness in the Tyrone side and John Bannon.  Cork haven't played as well since.  If you take Daniel Goulding and the O'Neills out of the game, you've a good chance of beating them. 
I would be happy for Tyrone to meet Cork in the next round.  No motivation needed.

I suppose there's merit in this in that Tyrone beat them in Omagh this year despite playing shite for 50 mins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2010, 10:32:35 PM
Stevie O'Neill - I know he's a majestic player, but do you ever think that other players up their game in his absence? In 2008 the likes of Tommy and Colm came to the fore. Last year, when Stevie was tied up v Cork Tyrone suffered. This year, after he exited the scene v Down the game changed.

I thought it was more of a case last year that Tyrone couldn't get enough ball into Stevie in the Semi - every time he got his hands on the ball he had the beating of that Cork defence.

tyrone86

Think people are giving Cork far too much respect. They will be lucky to survive the Gaelic Grounds tomorrow. I've said it before, last year's semi-final was a superhuman effort, coupled with illness in the Tyrone side and John Bannon. Cork haven't played as well since.  If you take Daniel Goulding and the O'Neills out of the game, you've a good chance of beating them. 

Nail on head.

Puckoon

Hard to know - it swings both ways. I think you have the likes of Mulligan - who in my mind really hits top form when those around him are. Then you've other players who do step up when SON is out of the game.

Mickeys beard

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 23, 2010, 10:40:42 PM

I thought it was more of a case last year that Tyrone couldn't get enough ball into Stevie in the Semi - every time he got his hands on the ball he had the beating of that Cork defence.

I suppose the game has to change when he goes off. He's a proper forward. He's the only one who, when the ball is passed to him, is expected to score.  Perhaps, a midfielder's first thought is to get the ball to Stevie and if it isn't on, then the rest of the team have to engineer a score.  If Stevie isn't on, then the team just have to engineer a score and it is more of a collective effort.  Hard to know if the team works better with or without him.  The other forwards seem to play more of a 'win possession in a safe area and lay it off' game, whereas Stevie can get himself into isolated areas sometimes, although he has the knack of scoring from these areas.  I'd say a Tyrone team with Stevie just shades it for me-can't beat class
Boil the Drawers!

Zulu

Quote from: tyrone86 on July 23, 2010, 10:43:41 PM
Think people are giving Cork far too much respect. They will be lucky to survive the Gaelic Grounds tomorrow. I've said it before, last year's semi-final was a superhuman effort, coupled with illness in the Tyrone side and John Bannon. Cork haven't played as well since.  If you take Daniel Goulding and the O'Neills out of the game, you've a good chance of beating them. 

Nail on head.

Maybe some are giving Cork a bit too much respect (they haven't won an AI yet) but you lads are not giving them enough respect if you really think last year was a superhuman effort on their part and if memory serves me the ref sent off Alan O'Connor unfairly. If that hadn't happened it could be argued that Tyrone would have been beaten far more comfortably. I know I rate Cork higher than most here but last years performance against Tyrone wasn't even close to the best they can produce and I'd be surprised if anyone involved with the Tyrone team were foolish enough to think otherwise.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2010, 10:22:15 PM
Easy now Puckoon. Easy. Dont be setting us up there.

I think Cork have their own demons to settle before we come a knocking but I'd imagine Mr Harte would love to crack that nut again or even settle the aul Meath chestnut.

Sligo would be an interesting 1/4 final with Meath in the semi & Cork in the ...
I'll go to bed.

I can guarentee now Tyrone won't play Meath in the semi's! (draw rules it out) I think Mickey Harte will be looking another go at Cork this year. This team has beat all other big challengers in the past and will want to avenge last years defeat. Having said that I think he'd rather play them in a semi or final and not in the quarters.

Puckoon

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2010, 11:03:24 PM

Nail on head.

Maybe some are giving Cork a bit too much respect (they haven't won an AI yet) but you lads are not giving them enough respect if you really think last year was a superhuman effort on their part and if memory serves me the ref sent off Alan O'Connor unfairly. If that hadn't happened it could be argued that Tyrone would have been beaten far more comfortably. I know I rate Cork higher than most here but last years performance against Tyrone wasn't even close to the best they can produce and I'd be surprised if anyone involved with the Tyrone team were foolish enough to think otherwise.

We are probably slowly arriving somewhere near the truth.

That said - they appeared to play with superhuman effort against Tyrone - and then capitulated in the final - suggesting their exertions in the semi were strenuous enough to affect their following game.

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2010, 11:03:24 PM

Nail on head.

...and seemed to right the wrongs of the first half by refusing to take any further action against Cork.  (Miskella on McGuigan?  Hughes getting pole-axed off ball?)

Cork are a good, tough side, I just don't think that they are great and would be wary of the constant psychological damage inflicted on them by Kerry.   
Boil the Drawers!

Zulu

I wouldn't agree Puck. I was at the semi and I didn't think Cork produced anything we hadn't seen before and they only lost the final by 3 or 4 pointswhen there was no score in the last ten minutes. In other words they were in a decent position with ten minutes to go and Kerry got bodies back which cork didn't have the guile to break down. It should be remembered that Cork will probably have a new FF, new FB and one new midfielder, a different center back and a different half forward line this year. They are a team in progression and are getting better every year, I wouldn't say that is true of either Tyrone or Kerry.

Tatler Jack

Cork have a large panel of good strong players. Yet they lack something and that something was the reason they were unable to convert possession in the second half of last years AI into a winning score and the reason why they failed to beat Kerry in 2 attempts this year despite looking the better team. Tomorrow's game is a test for them becasue they alaways have trouble with Limerick and if Limerick keep it close into the second half then it will test Cork's confidence. I was at both Kerry games and I saw no improvements this year and when pressure comes on Cork resort to old failed habits; I am going to the game tomorrow and after that I might have some idea if they are genuine AI challengers this year.