Sligo V Down Rd 4 Qualifier

Started by 5 Sams, July 18, 2010, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Maigh Eo Dia linn, I think you should leave this thread before you embarrass yourself further with your ignorance.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: western exile on July 23, 2010, 01:18:41 AM
Maigh Eo Dia linn, I think you should leave this thread before you embarrass yourself further with your ignorance.

::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Pangurban

mayogodhelpus if you had brains you would be dangerous,as it is you give the rest of us a laugh

Mano

Same team announced with exception of Mullen for Taylor.

Have no lessons been learned from the game last Sunday.

Banana Man

Quotemayogodhelpus if you had brains you would be dangerous,as it is you give the rest of us a laugh

what he said

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on July 23, 2010, 09:52:27 AM

Ive had enough sleepless nights this week, when the shock of last sunday wore off into utter dread. But now im angry. Do we ever learn from mistakes, coulter and Clarke will destroy philips and mcguire. Lets pray its a bogey team. Nothing worse going to a game thinking you will lose, and lose becuase of the management.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

western exile

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 23, 2010, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: Mano on July 23, 2010, 09:52:27 AM

Ive had enough sleepless nights this week, when the shock of last sunday wore off into utter dread. But now im angry. Do we ever learn from mistakes, coulter and Clarke will destroy philips and mcguire. Lets pray its a bogey team. Nothing worse going to a game thinking you will lose, and lose becuase of the management.
More often than not a team will lose if they go into a game thinking they will lose. I hope your negativity has filtered into the Sligo team

SLIGONIAN

Just thinking logically the management wont have a clue what the team will be until tomorrow, they probably had to give a team in for the programme, and will wait until tomorrow to see whos recovered mentally from last week.

magpie seanie

A lot of the problem with the depth in the squad goes back in my opinion to the U-21's. We need to nurture a new full back and one of the better prospects for this position was played at midfield in U-21 and got only one FBD game at FB so no cover there. CHB has been a problem for a long time and Quinn was doing fine until his injury. Phillips did fine against Mayo but the graph has been on a sharp downward spiral since. A pity that his only run of games at 6 has come when he is past his best as a footballer. Always thought he could have been a good CHB if given a chance earlier in his Sligo career but there were probably reasons why it never happened.

On the team - I'm going to disagree with Mano and Sligonian slightly. So many players played badly you could make a case for 8-10 changes. That would be nuts. So long as we don't start any injured players this time I'll go with it with swift action for anyone not doing the business. Mullen should not have been dropped for the last day in any event. Sweeney is good enough but never performs when he starts so you can't start him.

T O Hare

Whats the best way to go to Cavan from Newry??
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SLIGONIAN

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2010, 12:49:18 PM
A lot of the problem with the depth in the squad goes back in my opinion to the U-21's. We need to nurture a new full back and one of the better prospects for this position was played at midfield in U-21 and got only one FBD game at FB so no cover there. CHB has been a problem for a long time and Quinn was doing fine until his injury. Phillips did fine against Mayo but the graph has been on a sharp downward spiral since. A pity that his only run of games at 6 has come when he is past his best as a footballer. Always thought he could have been a good CHB if given a chance earlier in his Sligo career but there were probably reasons why it never happened.

On the team - I'm going to disagree with Mano and Sligonian slightly. So many players played badly you could make a case for 8-10 changes. That would be nuts. So long as we don't start any injured players this time I'll go with it with swift action for anyone not doing the business. Mullen should not have been dropped for the last day in any event. Sweeney is good enough but never performs when he starts so you can't start him.
I take your point, but CHB has to be changed at least especially when Quinns fit. We'll see, hopefully the management will be wise to who has recovered mentally and who has not from last week, you learn alot from body language, and sharpness in training/warm up on that front.

Are any of ye going?

Banana Man

QuoteWhats the best way to go to Cavan from Newry??

T i think it's best to head through armagh, monaghan, clones, cavan..... last time i was in Breffini was when coulter scored the goal and his celebration was to the crowd of him rubbing his fingers as he had bet on himself for first goal  :D

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 23, 2010, 02:04:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2010, 12:49:18 PM

I take your point, but CHB has to be changed at least especially when Quinns fit. We'll see, hopefully the management will be wise to who has recovered mentally and who has not from last week, you learn alot from body language, and sharpness in training/warm up on that front.

Are any of ye going?

Defo going. Many people who I talked to and would ordinarily consider fair weather fans are going. I would expect a decent crowd to go. Its only right that these players get our full support on Saturday.
As Paddy has alluded to a few times already the weight of expectation within the county last Sunday was something that the players will have never experienced before. Its something I have never experienced before following the County team since the days we played div 4 league games in ballymote. Ocean Fm have a lot to answer for with regards to the sh*te that was being talked before last Sunday.
Hopefully with the monkey off our back we can play without fear and at a higher tempo, something that was lacking last Sunday bar a 10 minute spell in the second half. There will be no time for hesitation tommorrow evening. If the pass is on let it off quick and never mind the repercussions if it fails.
I like others have had serious doubts about our FB since the Mayo game, but what credible alternative to we have without upsetting the rest of the defence? Our midfield came in for serious criticsm on sunday but I lay most of the blame for lack of possesion with our half back and half forward line. Cregg won almost every break going without anyone near him. Nothwithstanding the fact that Costelloe was very good, David Casey won serious ball in the first half and set up scores and scored one himself.  Mark Breheny has been brilliant at hoovering up breaking ball from chf all year and I cant recall him winning one on Sunday. For us to have any chance against Down our midfielders are going to have to break ball and Davey, Cawley, O'Hara, Costelloe and Breheny are going to have to win the same amount of ball as the Mayo and Galway games.
I found it strange Coen was given only a few minutes last Sunday considering his record against Ormsby at u-21 level. Hopefully he is sprung earlier this week.
I hope the lads dont go out feeling sorry for themselves but from what I heard during the week they are chomping at the bit to get on with it and try and get to Croker. Lets hope that not more cheap talk. Best of luck to the lads and hope we do it.