Sligo V Down Rd 4 Qualifier

Started by 5 Sams, July 18, 2010, 06:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on July 21, 2010, 04:30:25 PM
I wonder what the Sligo Fan's make of having to play in Cavan at 7pm it must be like a 2 hour drive for some?

Not from Cliffoney, its not too far for us tbh, but west/south Sligo is a different story. Itd be great to see a big support, we'll see what the supporters are made of on sat.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on July 20, 2010, 07:08:57 PM
Quote from: Mano on July 20, 2010, 12:17:17 PM
We lost by 1 point because Roscommon are a poor team relying on Shines frees. If we weren't so ill disciplined we would have won the game as Ross didn't have enough good forwards to score. Our tactics were non-existant while O'Donnell had Ross playing the a well thought out plan.

back in 1991 we played meath in a ALL Ireland Semi final losing by one point in a game we should have won that day we scored 1-11 Derek Duggan Scored 1-8 (8 free's )

That was some goal he scored. what happened to him afterwards?

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on July 21, 2010, 04:37:21 PM
We lost by 1 point because Roscommon are a poor team relying on Shines frees. If we weren't so ill disciplined we would have won the game as Ross didn't have enough good forwards to score. Our tactics were non-existant while O'Donnell had Ross playing the a well thought out plan.

back in 1991 we played meath in a ALL Ireland Semi final losing by one point in a game we should have won that day we scored 1-11 Derek Duggan Scored 1-8 (8 free's )

Back then he was only 19 he played a few more years after that but injuries & lack of form were the reasons why he never reached those peaks again

I was standing beside last sunday on the field for the celebrations i bet Shine's performance reminded him of his own back in 1991 Castlebar
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Going back to thread topic..

Last time Sligo had the heartbreak of losing a Connacht final they recovered to beat Tyrone, yes i know this time they only have 6 to recover but wasn't that the same situation with the draw in Salthill? that game must have felt like a defeat... the Sligo boys regrouped 6 days later & won

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

snoopdog

91 wouldnt have mattered, no one would have beaten Down that day.
as wee pete said that night
we are the team that beat the team that couldnt be beaten

ross4life

Quote from: snoopdog on July 21, 2010, 09:46:36 PM

91 wouldnt have mattered, no one would have beaten Down that day.
as wee pete said that night
we are the team that beat the team that couldnt be beaten

You remind me of my dad, i remember he turned around to a celebrating meath fan & said "Down will beat ye" (he's a donegal man BTW) & TBH Down were lucky Colm O'Rourke was only half fit for the All Ireland final

Seandoc

Really annoyed this match is in Brefni.

Not quite half way between Sligo and Down.

Looking at another six hour round trip this wkd.

And why oh why has it been fixed for 7pm which means anyone from Down will be struggling to get home before midnight.

As for the match itself a great chance for Down to get to first all-ireland qf however if they play like they did last saturday they will not be in the draw come Sunday.

Couldn't understand some of the subs last Saturday Murtagh and Sexton have had their chance in the past and haven't proved themselves. Also the selcetion of John Clarke suprises he has never had a good game against strong opposition McCartan should be pushing the younger players like Fitzpatrick, Maginn, Hanna and Howard (who has recovered from injury) and give them a chance to show if they have what it takes.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Seandoc on July 21, 2010, 11:09:39 PM

And why oh why has it been fixed for 7pm which means anyone from Down will be struggling to get home before midnight.

As for the match itself a great chance for Down to get to first all-ireland qf however if they play like they did last saturday they will not be in the draw come Sunday.

Couldn't understand some of the subs last Saturday Murtagh and Sexton have had their chance in the past and haven't proved themselves. Also the selcetion of John Clarke suprises he has never had a good game against strong opposition McCartan should be pushing the younger players like Fitzpatrick, Maginn, Hanna and Howard (who has recovered from injury) and give them a chance to show if they have what it takes.

John Clarke is worthy of his starting place. Fitzpatrick is a midfielder , would you drop Ambrose or King?? Maginn has featured regularly and has done well
The Boys in Red and Black are back

paddypastit

Before commenting ahead,  I did notice McNamara and McGovern in the programme on Sunday and was surprised - thought they were gone. Thought no more of it though tbh.

Sligonian - I got the impression that you were going to put a stay on any critique of the team, individual players and management until the qualifiers were out of the way!!  I must have got it wrong.

I don't agree with the comments about management or about players and media. On the latter point, a week ago people were complaining that there was no media coverage and that this was an insult to Connacht. Now the players are losing the run of themselves.  I work with media all the time. Each medium would have a quota of space to fill and they would have made the running - not the players.  It is normal and sensible that the captain and the senior players handle those demands and that is how it was in this case so let's not start looking for problems that don't exist. In terms of management, I think they have got a lot more right than wrong, are very genuine and honest in their approach and seem to be even handed in their treatment of all.  Let them be judged by what they achieve, which isn't just about winning matches but is about developing the team and football in Sligo generally.  The senior team is the shop window and I would suggest that it is in better shape than at any time in recent memory - perfection may take a little longer.

Looking to Sunday coming, I wouldn't make that many changes. While there is a temptation to make big changes, unless there was an obvious 'punt' in the original selection, that didn't work, then extensive change is counter productive. A week ago, there was general expectation that the Sligo team selected would beat Roscommon and could compete with most opponents. That was based on three or four good performances and character shown in high profile games. Management will look at everything they know and see (and they see the players three more times a week than any of us do) and not just judge it on the 73 minutes we saw last weekend.

I agree with Sligonian's concern that Down's greatest potential strengths are uncomfortably close to the weaknesses that some of us feared Sligo have and that were exposed last Sunday.  However I don't subscribe to the view that our FB is finished and we could change. Trust me as one that played a lot in the FB line up to and including IC level that if the team is getting hammered at MF or in the HB line then there is bugger all that a FB can do... and in this specific case Sligo were losing in both lines. If we look back we had the same problem in the early part of the Mayo game - until O'Hara was moved back - and in the early part of the Div 3 final.

This FB line has been together for four seasons and works well as a unit. Given the amount of ball that was been conceded in front of them the real problem lies elsewhere. I would look at possibly one change in the HB line - basically a more defensive mindset.  We have to start with two fit midfielders - to state the obvious - and I'd leave it at that.
I say that because a key message to to the team itself this week is that this is a good team that can win. Extensive change won't communicate that.

I would have a different view looking to the longer term but you can't make big changes overnight and maintain stability and confidence.  I believe that for better or worse we have to believe in and support the team that we believed in and supported last week and the week before.  We have to trust a management team that has done a lot more right than wrong this year so far and we have to believe that it is possible.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

snatter

Seandoc,

you've every right to be annoyed about location.

This match should have been played in Clones - it's easily more of a half way mark between the two counties. It should also have been earlier to allow down fans (especially kids) to get home at a reasonable hour.

Google maps highlights this:

http://www.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=strangford&daddr=54.268432,-5.949097+to:clones+to:Inishcrone,+County+Sligo&hl=en&geocode=FbyjPQMdMjir_ymZfjGwa2lhSDGAKK45tT8PCg%3B%3BFX7EOgMdTp-R_yk7V6wiUBheSDFwdjGXqccACg%3BFQpCOwMd4FB1_yktyUtjZTFZSDGdDkJ-MA9ejQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=54.287675,-6.251221&sspn=2.097126,3.543091&ie=UTF8&ll=54.287675,-7.300415&spn=2.097126,5.635986&z=8

Halfquarter

The stats do not look too too good for Sligo on Saturday:
From today's Indo:
Dublin (2001) are the only beaten provincial finalists to have won a fourth-round qualifier tie on the following weekend since the back door was opened nine years ago. Nine others tried and failed.

Makes sense really as the physical and psychological effort expended in playing and losing in a provincial final needs more than a few days recovery time.

Walshe not very happy either -:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/walsh-frustrated-as-provincial-rota-bias-shackles-runnersup-2267905.html

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Seandoc on July 21, 2010, 11:09:39 PM

Not that close to Enniscrone or Curry either.

What are the Down complaing at, it is as close to the Down and Sligo borders as the crow flies or distance by road. Remember the road links between Connacht and Ulster are the worst in the Country bar some roads along the very most Western Seaboard Coast. The Sligos will be in ques along windy country roads or mountain valleys. You Ulster lads would want to cop yerselves on.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on July 22, 2010, 09:29:42 AM
Before commenting ahead,  I did notice McNamara and McGovern in the programme on Sunday and was surprised - thought they were gone. Thought no more of it though tbh.

Sligonian - I got the impression that you were going to put a stay on any critique of the team, individual players and management until the qualifiers were out of the way!!  I must have got it wrong.

I don't agree with the comments about management or about players and media. On the latter point, a week ago people were complaining that there was no media coverage and that this was an insult to Connacht. Now the players are losing the run of themselves.  I work with media all the time. Each medium would have a quota of space to fill and they would have made the running - not the players.  It is normal and sensible that the captain and the senior players handle those demands and that is how it was in this case so let's not start looking for problems that don't exist. In terms of management, I think they have got a lot more right than wrong, are very genuine and honest in their approach and seem to be even handed in their treatment of all.  Let them be judged by what they achieve, which isn't just about winning matches but is about developing the team and football in Sligo generally.  The senior team is the shop window and I would suggest that it is in better shape than at any time in recent memory - perfection may take a little longer.

Looking to Sunday coming, I wouldn't make that many changes. While there is a temptation to make big changes, unless there was an obvious 'punt' in the original selection, that didn't work, then extensive change is counter productive. A week ago, there was general expectation that the Sligo team selected would beat Roscommon and could compete with most opponents. That was based on three or four good performances and character shown in high profile games. Management will look at everything they know and see (and they see the players three more times a week than any of us do) and not just judge it on the 73 minutes we saw last weekend.

I agree with Sligonian's concern that Down's greatest potential strengths are uncomfortably close to the weaknesses that some of us feared Sligo have and that were exposed last Sunday.  However I don't subscribe to the view that our FB is finished and we could change. Trust me as one that played a lot in the FB line up to and including IC level that if the team is getting hammered at MF or in the HB line then there is bugger all that a FB can do... and in this specific case Sligo were losing in both lines. If we look back we had the same problem in the early part of the Mayo game - until O'Hara was moved back - and in the early part of the Div 3 final.

This FB line has been together for four seasons and works well as a unit. Given the amount of ball that was been conceded in front of them the real problem lies elsewhere. I would look at possibly one change in the HB line - basically a more defensive mindset.  We have to start with two fit midfielders - to state the obvious - and I'd leave it at that.
I say that because a key message to to the team itself this week is that this is a good team that can win. Extensive change won't communicate that.

I would have a different view looking to the longer term but you can't make big changes overnight and maintain stability and confidence.  I believe that for better or worse we have to believe in and support the team that we believed in and supported last week and the week before.  We have to trust a management team that has done a lot more right than wrong this year so far and we have to believe that it is possible.
Trust me thats a lenient as i get, in terms of getting the most out of the Down game i wrote that. Honestly what will Martin Clarke do to Phillips and what will coulter do to McGuire? Paddy when i called the u21 final before the game and said what i said about dunne and judge, i had a conversation with a player on that panel that told me those 2 were picked based on challenge games, and they were scoring well. In the Galway game in Tuam where it mattered they got a 1pt each and linaty of wides and poor play and look at the final. My point is i dont buy the point on the management see the players 3 times a week. Training is not the place to perform only, the place to perform is in the big games and should take precedence.

Ya i agree with out the field we had major problems, but your making excuses for McGuire, in all honesty there is no excuse for him giving Shine the space he gave him, it was like McGuire didnt think he'd score from them positions. Down are fast side and move the ball at speed, they will run at us, i am worried about our hb aswell i might add. Anyway we'll see as i picked the team i hope will play against Down.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Banana Man

QuoteReally annoyed this match is in Brefni.

Not that close to Enniscrone or Curry either.

What are the Down complaing at, it is as close to the Down and Sligo borders as the crow flies or distance by road. Remember the road links between Connacht and Ulster are the worst in the Country bar some roads along the very most Western Seaboard Coast. The Sligos will be in ques along windy country roads or mountain valleys. You Ulster lads would want to cop yerselves on.

Typical FG attitude from the west, you's already sold us out once before and here again we have the anti ulster sentiments from you. So your an expert on the roads from Down to Cavan are you  ::) I'd love to know when you last made a journey from Down to Breffini. Your the one who would want to catch yourself on.

Tell you what though you will have no worries about the roads going to watch mayo play

Lazer

Quote from: snatter on July 22, 2010, 10:02:36 AM
Seandoc,

you've every right to be annoyed about location.

This match should have been played in Clones - it's easily more of a half way mark between the two counties. It should also have been earlier to allow down fans (especially kids) to get home at a reasonable hour.

Google maps highlights this:

http://www.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=strangford&daddr=54.268432,-5.949097+to:clones+to:Inishcrone,+County+Sligo&hl=en&geocode=FbyjPQMdMjir_ymZfjGwa2lhSDGAKK45tT8PCg%3B%3BFX7EOgMdTp-R_yk7V6wiUBheSDFwdjGXqccACg%3BFQpCOwMd4FB1_yktyUtjZTFZSDGdDkJ-MA9ejQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1&sll=54.287675,-6.251221&sspn=2.097126,3.543091&ie=UTF8&ll=54.287675,-7.300415&spn=2.097126,5.635986&z=8

Thats because of the poisnts you have chosen. Breffini park is probably about as close to half way as you can get

Measuring from the 2 home grouds

Sligo Town - Cavan - 69.9mile

Newry - Cavan - 65.4mile

Clones is much closer to Down than Sligo (Although Closer to both than Cavan is)

Newry to Clones - 48mile, Sligo to Clones - 65mile
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)