Monaghan v Kildare

Started by Schkite, July 18, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2010, 11:40:51 PM
Senan Connell who tips Kildare brought out a stat on the Last Word tonight that no team since 2001 has won after losing a provincial final and having only 6 days to turn it around, that team by the way was Dublin.
Have we the details of how many matches were lost, who lost all of these matches and who they were playing?

On its own, that 'stat' means nothing.

The Konica

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2010, 10:05:32 AM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 24, 2010, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 23, 2010, 08:45:52 PM
From Hoganstand:

Monaghan delay selection
23 July 2010

Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney won't be naming his team to face Kildare in tomorrow's All-Ireland football qualifier until just before throw-in.

The Farney County have injury concerns over goalkeeper Shane Duffy, full back JP Mone and the versatile Vinny Corey, who missed last Sunday's Ulster final defeat to Tyrone, and have decided to delay announcing their side until the last minute.

What do they do for the match programme in those situations? Do they just throw them out a dud?

Will somebody tell McEneaney, McElkennon and now Grimley that it doesn't suit Monaghan to do "cute hoorism". Nothing is ever straightforward with Monaghan. Rumours abound in the run up and the morning of the game, they have an outfield player wearing number one, they don't wear the proper kit etc etc etc. To be honest I think all this sh1te interrupts the teams preparations. I fancied Monaghan for this fixture but if they continue this "cute hoorism" then the pendulum is swinging towards Kildare.
How exactly?

- I think Banty would have injury concerns and after 6 days isn't 100% if someone like Corey is fit
- It does Monaghan every advantage to delay selection and keep Kildare guessing
- Monaghan players won't be bothered in the slightest, they know their team already I'd say

Might not suit the observer, but all's fair in love and war.

Maguire01

Quote from: The Konica on July 24, 2010, 10:13:57 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2010, 10:05:32 AM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on July 24, 2010, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 23, 2010, 08:45:52 PM
From Hoganstand:

Monaghan delay selection
23 July 2010

Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney won't be naming his team to face Kildare in tomorrow's All-Ireland football qualifier until just before throw-in.

The Farney County have injury concerns over goalkeeper Shane Duffy, full back JP Mone and the versatile Vinny Corey, who missed last Sunday's Ulster final defeat to Tyrone, and have decided to delay announcing their side until the last minute.

What do they do for the match programme in those situations? Do they just throw them out a dud?

Will somebody tell McEneaney, McElkennon and now Grimley that it doesn't suit Monaghan to do "cute hoorism". Nothing is ever straightforward with Monaghan. Rumours abound in the run up and the morning of the game, they have an outfield player wearing number one, they don't wear the proper kit etc etc etc. To be honest I think all this sh1te interrupts the teams preparations. I fancied Monaghan for this fixture but if they continue this "cute hoorism" then the pendulum is swinging towards Kildare.
How exactly?

- I think Banty would have injury concerns and after 6 days isn't 100% if someone like Corey is fit
- It does Monaghan every advantage to delay selection and keep Kildare guessing
- Monaghan players won't be bothered in the slightest, they know their team already I'd say

Might not suit the observer, but all's fair in love and war.
Exactly. No impact on preparations whatsoever.

lynchbhoy

Looking forward to this game. I expect Monaghan to win but this confident Kildare will give a good account and you never know !

The Konica

I would love to write a long post about what I think will happen Monaghan if they lose today but I'll just leave it for now ...

I think that will be a wonderful drama when it happens!

Maguire01

Hitting the road now. Best of luck to Monaghan today!

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Monaghan off to a flyer. But Hanratty's point looked wide. The far umpire who had the better view didn't even seem to be looking up at it in the replay. But sure it's only Croke Park, umpire standards are low.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

hairyhog

i think hanratty switched the ball between hands as well so dubious enough point maybe

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2010, 03:04:37 PM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on July 24, 2010, 03:03:16 PM
Monaghan off to a flyer. But Hanratty's point looked wide. The far umpire who had the better view didn't even seem to be looking up at it in the replay. But sure it's only Croke Park, umpire standards are low.
I don't know how you could tell from the camera angles they showed.

Well I could tell the umpire wasn't looking up when the ball was going past the posts. The camera angle was behind ball as it went 'over'. Not saying 100% wide, but looked suspect.
H. L. Mencken

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: hardstation on July 24, 2010, 03:16:04 PM
Jesus Christ, Johnny Doyle is missing some chances.

Poor now, Kildare's pass selection up forward not good either. So much for the free flowing scores I'd anticipated. The afternoon of many wides more like.

H. L. Mencken

Hardy

Why is that annoying ould wan McStay obsessed with the free taker missing "on his own side" being worse than missing on the other side? What kind of bullshit is that? I fail to see the difference. One is exactly equal to the other by any logic I understand.

GAA_Punter

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifiers – round 4
Monaghan 0-05 0-02 Kildare, Croke park 3pm
29min played

24min (M) K Hughes Point
22min (K) J Doyle hits his 5th wide
21min (K) D Flynn Point
20min (M) E Lennon Point
17min (M) C McManus Point
15min (K) J Doyle hits his 4th wide
12min (K) J Kavanagh Point
2min (M) C Hanratty Point
1min (M) T Freeman Point

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/24/live-gaa-scores-saturday-24th-july/

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Doyle either needs to be taken off or start passing it off. Big decision for McGeeney.
H. L. Mencken

ross4life

Kildare must have some type of record for wides in this years championship?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

JMohan

Quote from: Hardy on July 24, 2010, 03:20:56 PM
Why is that annoying ould wan McStay obsessed with the free taker missing "on his own side" being worse than missing on the other side? What kind of bullshit is that? I fail to see the difference. One is exactly equal to the other by any logic I understand.
He is useless at the best of times.
Making stuff up to pretend he knows anything about the game.