New Killer Goalposts

Started by Bud Wiser, July 16, 2010, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Has anyone got a picture of the new goalposts designed by the Clare man down in Tulla.  They have to be the worst looking contraption that I have ever seen.  At worst they are in breach of Health & Safety standards and I doubt if they will be passed or CE approved.  Can anyone post a picture. In last nights Herald they were promoted as the answer to all our problems.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

mckieran

In football, generally the cause of a disputed ppoint is when the ball goes so so high that it is over the post and the ball comes in at an angle. I dont see how these goalposts can help with those situations????

omagh_gael

Quote from: mckieran on July 16, 2010, 10:31:00 AM
In football, generally the cause of a disputed ppoint is when the ball goes so so high that it is over the post and the ball comes in at an angle. I dont see how these goalposts can help with those situations????

According to the article these posts are going to be 16 metres high which, in their view, will be high enough to catch most shots. Apparently standard club posts are 11m high and county grounds 13m.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

omagh_gael

Could they not put one of these behind each goal and lift one umpire as high as she goes so he'll have a much better view of the high shots?

Uladh

If you're at an angle, which posts would you aim at?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2010, 11:03:29 AM
Could they not put one of these behind each goal and lift one umpire as high as she goes so he'll have a much better view of the high shots?

:D :D :D lmao
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Armaghgeddon

Why dont they just give Umpires an eye test.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AFS on July 16, 2010, 10:13:09 AM

Gonna be some job putting them nets up before every match...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

They should tie them into the nets behind and eliminate the need for a 2nd set of posts which look a bit ungainly and might be a bit confusing when you are taking a shot.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ulick

This should be the the WTF thread.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 16, 2010, 09:58:43 AM
Has anyone got a picture of the new goalposts designed by the Clare man down in Tulla.  They have to be the worst looking contraption that I have ever seen.  At worst they are in breach of Health & Safety standards and I doubt if they will be passed or CE approved.  Can anyone post a picture. In last nights Herald they were promoted as the answer to all our problems.

Jeez Bud, bit strong to be fair. Could be structurally sound enough? Cant judge a lot from a photo either way but as a concept it hardly sends the alarm bells ringing.

Whether it's a good idea or not is another matter. Would be some craic if a wide ball went in through a gap in the side netting
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Jinxy

In principle it's actually a really good idea.
I think it could be executed better though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.