The Cooking Thread

Started by ONeill, July 14, 2010, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Thanks for the ideas there - plenty to go with.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on July 14, 2010, 03:53:30 PM
I used to cook when I was a teenage. Made pizzas (from scratch, not heading up) bread, buns, cakes and all sorts of tasty treats. Haven't done anything in years.
You should have spent more time on your spelling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 14, 2010, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 14, 2010, 03:53:30 PM
I used to cook when I was a teenage. Made pizzas (from scratch, not heading up) bread, buns, cakes and all sorts of tasty treats. Haven't done anything in years.
You should have spent more time on your spelling.
A real cook would know that making buns and cakes is baking, not cooking. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerrykeegan

I have a Thai haddock in green curry that takes about 10 minutes to cook. It's top drawer if you like Thai and fish . Piece of piss to do. Pm if you want it
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

bamboo

No need for these great recipes to be confined to PM's lads, stick them up in this thread and let all of  us wannabe chefs have a bash at them.

Can i suggest we make this the official cooking/baking thread?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 14, 2010, 10:03:19 PM
I have a Thai haddock in green curry that takes about 10 minutes to cook. It's top drawer if you like Thai and fish . Piece of piss to do. Pm if you want it
thai haddock in GREEN curry?
jesus.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Never beat the deeler

Do you make the curry from scratch Gerry? pm me the recipe please
Hasta la victoria siempre

stephenite

Cooked a very nice joint of roast pork on Sunday - meat came up brilliantly but had a bit of a disaster with the crackling - had to cut it from the joint and chuck it in the bin, anyone any tips on how to get the meat cooked without overcooking the crackling?

Couldn't bake a spud about 5 years ago but quite enjoy cooking now. Enjoy cooking a good beef  stir fry on a weeknight, and can't bate sticking a stew into the slow cooker early on a Saturday and letting sit there for about 7-8 hours.

Thinking I'll need to expand my menu a bit so keep the recipies coming

gerrykeegan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 14, 2010, 10:18:37 PM
thai haddock in GREEN curry?
jesus.

Here it is Pints and another for you also.

Haddock Green Curry
Serves 2

500g of Haddock or Cod fillets skinned and pin boned

1 Tin Coconut Milk
3 Green Chillies Sliced finely (I take the seeds out)
8/10 mushrooms sliced
24 Baby corn halved lengthways
1 Red Pepper Sliced lengthways
4 Spring onions sliced finely
3 tablespoons of Green Curry Paste
Thai Fish sauce to taste
Lemon grass to taste
Small amount of root Ginger sliced

Add Coconut Milk and green curry paste, and fish sauce to paste until mixed.
Add everything else into pan except Haddock and spring onion.
Place haddock on top of mixture and cover it with a large plate to poach it for about 3-4 minutes.
Remove the haddock allow to cool before flaking it.
Lower the heat and add the Spring onion and cook for another 3/4 minutes
Add the fish back in and cook for another3/4 minutes.
Serve with rice( ordinary or jasmine)

Masman curry
Serves Four
In a little oil, fry garlic.(1/2 cloves)  Chillies (1/2) and ginger (half inch) All Chopped finely.
Add Masman curry paste (1 or 2 Tablespoons)
Add Tin of Pineapple chunks and juices, Add about 3 quarters of a pint of water, a teaspoon of cane sugar and the juice of a lime and a kafir leaf.
Peel and slice one large sweet potato.  Add to the Wok
Bring to boil reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes, add some mushrooms and a pepper, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Add two tins of Coconut milk and some peeled raw prawns bring to the boil takes about 4/5 minutes and thicken with some corn flour. Add a large amount of finely chopped coriander and serve with rice.

maddog

Had bacon and broad bean risotto the other night. Grew a load of broad beans in the garden this year and of course had no clue what to do with them. So google came to the rescue. Quick easy and really nice to eat
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6326/broad-bean-and-bacon-risotto

moysider

Came accross some wild mushrooms in the fields the last week. Haven't seen the likes since I was a kid. Putting it down to the high soil temperatures followed by recent rain. The flavour is unbelievable. I fry them up. They are lovely on their own but for a more substantial meal I added in a few things. I sliced up some courgette from the polytunnel as well as some left-over bacon and a little chorizo and after a bit of frying put the pan in a hot oven for 8 - 10 mins. Rough and ready but really tasty. Commercial mushrooms just not in the same league.

moysider

Oh, and I got a recipe for rhubarb crumble from the mother-in-law that is very good. And before anybody asks, her daughter isn't fond of the kitchen.

Billys Boots

Risotto is great, quick and easy to make and very wholesome - i usually make it with a spicy chorizo in winter, with peppers, onions and peas.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

gerrykeegan

Quote from: ONeill on July 14, 2010, 02:37:27 PM
Well what's the quickest and cheapest way of making a dinner that means I'll have an all day pass on Sunday? Thinking of £20 on ingredients and about 30 mins-1 hr cooking time.

How did it go? Out for the day or home by four?