British Open Golf Preview & Betting Advice

Started by GAA_Punter, July 14, 2010, 10:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

The Open Championship returns to St. Andrews for the 139th renewal of golf's flagship event and, as ever, all eyes are on World Number 1 Tiger Woods, whose last two appearances at this course resulted in runaway successes in 2005 and at the turn of the millennium.

In any other year then we'd be expecting 6/4 or shorter about Tiger continuing his love-affair with the home of golf but after some well-documented personal problems and some below-par displays, 6/1 is widely available about the 14-time Major Champion. Whenever Woods lines up the first decision to be made is whether to be with or against him and this year more than any that question has divided opinion. On the one hand, you've a player yet to win a tournament who missed the cut at Quail Hollow and withdrew when well-held at Sawgrass, whose previously exceptional putting skills have deserted him for all bar 9-holes at Pebble Beach and whose problems with the driver remain in tact. His supporters, though, will point to Tiger's performances at the highest level. Firstly, he returned to play his first tournament in months at Augusta and took fourth, before filling the same spot in the US Open. So, in two major tournaments this year Tiger Woods has placed twice and, for those liking a back-to-lay proposition, he's traded much shorter than his starting price.

I happen to be in the second bracket, in that I believe that while backing Tiger in relatively low-grade affairs has proven a quick way to the poor house this year if we honed in on the majors no money has been lost. Remember, when asked which four courses Tiger would like the majors to be staged at he replied "St. Andrews four times" and despite his excellent Pebble Beach demolition job in 2000 there can be little doubt the course on which Tiger has performed his best over the years is the Old Course at St. Andrews, so where better to kick-start part two of his career? Yes he missed the cut in this event last year but that was on his first try at Turnberry and he very nearly rallied to make it; had he done who is to say he wouldn't have gone on to contend?

My chief concern then isn't his driving as this course isn't long and he can keep that club in the bag. It isn't his course form which is exceptional, nor his season form which has been good when it's needed to be. It is his putting. Tiger missed a host of short putts in his most recent outing in the AT&T, although one could make the excuse that he was trying those greens for the first time......
Rest of article on
http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/13/british-open-golf-preview-betting-advice-thursday-15th-july/

tyroneboi

I was checking the betting for the tournament on Paddy Power yesterday and they had Rory McIlroy 2nd favourite at 16/1 which I thought was a bit strange considering he has never been in contention for a major. Might have a few pound on him missing the cut.

I might go for Els or Donald who I think is due a big tournament.

thebigfella

Quote from: tyroneboi on July 14, 2010, 10:55:23 AM
I was checking the betting for the tournament on Paddy Power yesterday and they had Rory McIlroy 2nd favourite at 16/1 which I thought was a bit strange considering he has never been in contention for a major. Might have a few pound on him missing the cut.

I might go for Els or Donald who I think is due a big tournament.

According to Golf Monthly's betting guide, McIlroy has never shot worse than 69 at St Andrews. I'd hold onto your money if that's correct.