Is blatant cheating condoned within Meath co board & management?

Started by StGallsGAA, July 13, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is cheating condoned in Meath GAA?

Yes
51 (56.7%)
No
39 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 90

StGallsGAA

According to reports the Meath players, having won the Leinster final by a blatant act of cheating, have "almost unanimously" voted against what is considered the fair thing to do in the eyes of the GAA family and voted not to affer a replay to Louth.   

It begs the question do Meath County board and management condone blatant cheating?   Has the Royal County resorted to a win at all costs, reputation or otherwise strategy?

Puckoon

This is a thread that isnt going to go anywhere good in a hurry.

That said, I'd have to argue against the decision made by the meath players. If I was a player, or a coach on a team at any level of the game, Id rather win it or at least attempt to win it fairly if I had been awared a win unfairly.

Peter Solan the Great

This is Meath for christs sake. What else can you expect from a pig but a crunt? The thing that disgusts me though is they wont admit they cheated.

Maguire01

Are some people trying to have every thread on the front page covering this saga?

Peter Solan the Great

Bensars

I think any chance of an olive branch by Meath dissapeared once members of their squad were assaulted by Louth fans after the game. Then factor in some of the abuse that has been levelled at them collectively and as individuals in the immediate aftermath up until they took a vote last night. It was never going to happen.
In regards of the claim of blatant cheating,  point me to a player that wouldnt do anything they could  to get the ball over the line in injury time of a provincal final considering they were two points down ?

Initially i had sympathy for louths plight , but the more i read and hear the more i can understand Meath players position on not yielding

fearglasmor

Every club and county team in the country cheats. Please stop all this sanctimonious crap.

Hound

Quote from: Puckoon on July 13, 2010, 08:33:26 PM
This is a thread that isnt going to go anywhere good in a hurry.

That said, I'd have to argue against the decision made by the meath players. If I was a player, or a coach on a team at any level of the game, Id rather win it or at least attempt to win it fairly if I had been awared a win unfairly.
Whille this is an idiotic thread, in that no reasonable person could believe that Meath cheated, its a very interesting question that puck raises - in what would you (honestly!) do.

Certainly the cup and medal have absolutely no value, unless they have a replay and then beat Louth. But does a Leinster medal have any value to a Meathman? I think it does, given how long it is since they won it.

The bigger picture is how will it impact the path to Sam. Will another game v Louth help them improve. Probably will - so long as they win (and I think they'd be fairly confident of winning). The loser though will be playing 6 days later against a team who has just come through 2 successful qualifier games, a team with momentum. Losers who have to play the following week have a very poor record in the qualifiers. Imaging losing to Louth on Sunday, then losing to Armagh or Dublin the following week - nightmare scenario as a season is turned upside down.

Obviously as a player you would be naturally upset with some of the abuse that's been flying around. But after taking a day or two to think about it calmly and rationally (realising that its the mouthy minority that get the most notice), I'm pretty sure I'd be of the view that I'd like the opportunity to play Louth again and beat them properly.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 08:46:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on July 13, 2010, 08:44:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 08:40:31 PM
They didn't cheat.

How can you deny that they didnt cheat? what else would you call it?
So, if I hit a wide and it is given as a point, I have cheated?
He swung his boot at it and missed.

He was on the line. He threw the ball into the net while afterwards making making a half arsed attempt to swing a boot at it. Afterwards knowing he didnt make any contact with the ball put pressure on the referee to not change the result. Afterwards on National TV made the outrageous claim that it was legitimate and he did make contact with the ball while saying if it wasnt he was due a penalty. Ifs thats not cheating i dont know what is.

Awful and all were the antics of a tiny minority of louth fans the Meath fellas have latched on to this like the cowards they are as a way of legitimizing there own cheating.

Orior

There is one person on the board who does not know the difference between condone and condemn, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ludermor

They didn't cheat.

it was a foul. No more no less. All this shite of 'cheating' is sickening my hole.Does people associate every foul as cheating or only game altering ones?

Galwaybhoy

They didn't cheat.

You are right, they didn't cheat, and they shouldn't be accused of doing such a thing.

However after everything that has happened do you not think it would be the honourable thing to offer the replay?  I am of the opinion that there should not be a replay and that Louth should refuse a replay and get on with it but I still feel that just for the sake of doing the honourable thing Meath should offer to replay the game.

Comparing it to the France incident as an Ireland fan I did not want the game to go to a replay as if Ireland won the replay and qualified it would feel tainted but I would have had more respect for the French team had they offered a replay.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ludermor on July 13, 2010, 09:23:32 PM
They didn't cheat.

it was a foul. No more no less. All this shite of 'cheating' is sickening my hole.Does people associate every foul as cheating or only game altering ones?

I think it was a bit more sinister than a foul. He threw the ball into the goals and hoped no one would notice. He chased the ref to convince him it was a goal (knowing full well it was not - imagine if Henry's handball had been spotted and Henry ran after the ref saying he did nothing!) He has not even admitted what he done and now him and his buddies have refused to offer a replay. I have not called him a cheat as of yet but I am getting close to it. I hope somehow sense will prevail in Meath but I am sceptical.