Liam Hayes does it again !

Started by Kerry Mike, July 13, 2010, 07:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 10, 2010, 12:31:47 AM
....another installment of Liam Hayes obsession with getting a dig in at Kerry and/or JOC

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/2010/aug/08/football-analyst-liam-hayes-jack-not-up-to-job-thi/

Can someone from Meath cast some light on what exactly is his problem with us ? Its not as if we had much dealings with him throughout the years ?

Hayes' article is a disgrace. He says in it that it gave him no pleasure to write it. I have trouble believing that. As other posters have noted, Hayes has been having a go at this Kerry team for years, going back to when Seamus Moynihan - whom Hayes didn't rate - was playing for them.

But why he does it is a mystery to me. I take AZ's point about selling papers but other times Hayes could happily bore for Ireland. It's not like he goes off regularly, like Dunphy. He just has a serious bee in his bonnet about this Kerry generation, and I have no idea why.

Best to ignore him. He'll never change.

Zapatista

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 10, 2010, 12:31:47 AM
....another installment of Liam Hayes obsession with getting a dig in at Kerry and/or JOC

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/2010/aug/08/football-analyst-liam-hayes-jack-not-up-to-job-thi/

Can someone from Meath cast some light on what exactly is his problem with us ? Its not as if we had much dealings with him throughout the years ?

Nearly 2500 copies of that shyte printed. How intheunderf**k does that make sense? I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Were do the Tribune do their research on what their readers want in GAA coverege?

rrhf

Theres some thinly veiled dislike of OConnor there.  In fairness to JOC he would have used the poison pen himself in relation to Northern teams, and I hated to read that as much as I hated to read this.  Perhaps managers who put themselves up there ie in the media/books etc. could become a magnet for this crap.  I quite like O Connor and I hope he stays on he has brought a hardy edge to Kerry football, he has not dragged it through the gutter at all, and I foresee a great rivalry between Harte and him continuing to a different phase as they attempt to rebuild their teams.  I think some of his comments about the players are very poor though, and uncalled for.  We want the guys to battle hard and we crave controversy and then we damnify them when they go over the top.  Feck it its all good for the game especially when crowds are falling.         

whiskeysteve

LEAVE LIAM ALONE!!

The mans an entertainer. Heres one of his crackers from earlier in the year...

"We know, of course, that as six forwards go in any county in Ireland – by measurement of scoring ability or workrate – Meath are right up there with Kerry and Tyrone."

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

SuperDooperCooper

The whole I hate Kerry thing may go back to the late 80's early 90's when Hayes was a GAA correspondent with the Irish Press.
After a bad defeat to Cork I think in 1990 (15 points) Hayes had a go at Jacko saying he was finished and should have quit in 1986.
Jacko didn't particularly like it but he adopted a slightly different approach when responding he didn't review Hayes in doing a player profile of all players on the morning of the 1990 All-Ireland final.
Hayes had another pop at Jacko saying he was overrated; the (great) Kerry team was overrated; team won soft all-Irelands; no great players etc in fact the same shite he is spouting today.
His comments about Moynihan and Cooper in particular are right up there with 'Carlow will win Leinster in two years' statement.
As bad as he is to read he in in fact worse on TV3's coverage.
I like the Tribune as a paper; the only reason they have Hayes is that he must sell papers; controversy sells obviously but there should be no place for the personaliused stuff Hayes revels in.
PS Jack did make a tool of himself with his comments before and after the Down game; we lost heavily and in fairness the Down defenders stopped well before Killian Young got to them. However he was right that the CCCC singled out Kerry for special attention as similar incidents to the two Kerry incidents went unpunished but it was ungracious to bring it up in the post match press conference.

JMohan

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 10, 2010, 03:03:44 PM
The whole I hate Kerry thing may go back to the late 80's early 90's when Hayes was a GAA correspondent with the Irish Press.
After a bad defeat to Cork I think in 1990 (15 points) Hayes had a go at Jacko saying he was finished and should have quit in 1986.
Jacko didn't particularly like it but he adopted a slightly different approach when responding he didn't review Hayes in doing a player profile of all players on the morning of the 1990 All-Ireland final.
Hayes had another pop at Jacko saying he was overrated; the (great) Kerry team was overrated; team won soft all-Irelands; no great players etc in fact the same shite he is spouting today.
His comments about Moynihan and Cooper in particular are right up there with 'Carlow will win Leinster in two years' statement.
I like the Tribune as a paper; the only reason they have Hayes is that he must sell papers; controversy sells obviously but there should be no place for the personaliused stuff Hayes revels in.
PS Jack did make a tool of himself with his comments before and after the Down game; we lost heavily and in fairness the Down defenders stopped well before Killian Young got to them. However he was right that the CCCC singled out Kerry for special attention as similar incidents to the two Kerry incidents went unpunished but it was ungracious to bring it up in the post match press conference.

Fair post.
I too like the Tribune, but I always ignore Hayes articles. It's just a waste of my valuable life reading his shite.
Shannon and McKenna on the other hand are good hard working Journo's.

And as for Jack - it was so unKerry-like of him to have anything other than praise for Down.
I'd imagine he let a few of his own people down with those comments. Kerry have never been anything but gracious losers and that surprised me.

ross matt

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 10, 2010, 03:03:44 PM
Never heard that re him and Jacko Superdoopercooper. Jacko over rated? Greatest footballer I've ever seen.

sawel

It's all Big McGilligan's fault.
Hayes has never recoverd from the time Brian put him into the dugout in '87

IolarCoisCuain

Here's Hayes this week: http://www.tribune.ie/sport/gaelic-football/article/2010/aug/22/football-analyst-liam-hayes-cork-must-stand-up-and/

This is the bit that bothered me:

Most people closely watching this championship now want Dublin to win the All Ireland. It's Dublin first, and Kildare second, and after that nobody really cares if it ends up with Cork or Down.

Most people? What gives him the right to say that? It's nonsense. It has no basis in fact. None. Liam Hayes is a very annoying man.

bcarrier

He seems to hate Down and kerry in about equal measure.

orangeman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 22, 2010, 09:11:52 PM
Here's Hayes this week: http://www.tribune.ie/sport/gaelic-football/article/2010/aug/22/football-analyst-liam-hayes-cork-must-stand-up-and/

Most people closely watching this championship now want Dublin to win the All Ireland. It's Dublin first, and Kildare second, and after that nobody really cares if it ends up with Cork or Down.

Most people? What gives him the right to say that? It's nonsense. It has no basis in fact. None. Liam Hayes is a very annoying man.

Nothing. Poor journalism again.

paddypastit

Guys - take a chill pill.  It's not journalism - it's opinion for which one needs no qualifications other than sufficient active nuerons between the ears to form and then express the thought. 

You don't even need to be able to write as most celebrity columnists make their contributions by taking a phone call from a hack who then transcribes what they say into an article, althoiugh I imagine Hayes produces his own copy. A lot of opinion pieces are completely off piste - for example the same Tribune has a failed and NAMA dependant property developer writing opinion pieces that go against any currently accepted wisdom.

We should all read Hayes for reassurance of our sanity because the day he pens something we agree with is the day to start getting worried
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 22, 2010, 09:11:52 PM

It has a solid basis in readership figures.
MWWSI 2017