Dublin Hurling.

Started by Bud Wiser, July 13, 2010, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Well come on lads, give the Dubs some bit of credit for their game against Clare and being in the U21 Leinster Final tomorrow.  Everyone seems to think they were the whipping boys against Kilkenny but apart from the goals I thought their skill levels were great and next time, even in three months time they would not be such a walkover against the Cats. Three games in Croke Park in the one years championship, along withn the fact that some of their lads are still involved in U21 Final sounds good to me for the future of Dublin hurling but they need more support than they are getting.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

seafoid

Well said bud. i thought that was a great win over Clare. Onwards and upwards.

imtommygunn

It was a very good win. I'm from antrim and it worries me.

We will need to seriously up our game from the Carlow game to get even close however the spirut we showed was heartening. Hoping for a ref who will do us a few more favours (as in give us more than 1 free in 35 minutes of hurling) in this one too which should help.

In saying that Dublin were good Clare came back well and had the goalie not misjudged a ball and the momentum then not been taken further out of them by one of the players getting a serious injury the game could have been a lot closer. Credit to dublin for riding that storm though.

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 13, 2010, 05:40:36 PM
It was a very good win. I'm from antrim and it worries me.

We will need to seriously up our game from the Carlow game to get even close however the spirut we showed was heartening. Hoping for a ref who will do us a few more favours (as in give us more than 1 free in 35 minutes of hurling) in this one too which should help.

In saying that Dublin were good Clare came back well and had the goalie not misjudged a ball and the momentum then not been taken further out of them by one of the players getting a serious injury the game could have been a lot closer. Credit to dublin for riding that storm though.

21 game will take a lot of 4 of our players tomorrow

antrim and dublin games are always tight. Petrified about this one personally

imtommygunn

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2010, 06:38:06 PM
antrim and dublin games are always tight. Petrified about this one personally

Me too. Last year was far from tight but I would expect a big improvement from us.

Farrandeelin

I've a cousin on the starting 15 for Dublin. So am watching their every move with great interest. I hope they overcome Antrim. It will be tight, hopefully Dublin's day out in Croker before will give them an edge.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Galwaybhoy

Great win for Dublin.  After watching them be annihilated against the Cats a few weeks ago I thought they wouldn't be a match for Clare but they proved me wrong.  Could be a very good game between ourselves and Dublin should they beat Antrim and be drawn against us in the  Q/F.  Don't think there would be much between the two teams.  Would love to see that match happen.

INDIANA

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 13, 2010, 08:08:11 PM
Great win for Dublin.  After watching them be annihilated against the Cats a few weeks ago I thought they wouldn't be a match for Clare but they proved me wrong.  Could be a very good game between ourselves and Dublin should they beat Antrim and be drawn against us in the  Q/F.  Don't think there would be much between the two teams.  Would love to see that match happen.

Yep I thought we were shite against Kilkenny. Having watched galway play kilkenny maybe I was too hasty. I think kilkenny will tank everyone.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2010, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on July 13, 2010, 08:08:11 PM

Yep I thought we were shite against Kilkenny. Having watched galway play kilkenny maybe I was too hasty. I think kilkenny will tank everyone.
I would agree with that, although are Galway all they're cracked up to be? Thinking of their games against Offaly and how Antrim did against Offaly.

Nope but who ever thought we were?  Certainly not Galway people.  I don't think we are as bad as our performcane against Kilkenny made us out to be either though.  On our day we could give Kilkenny a great game but for the most part we are just not good enough.  Kilkenny are ahead of everyone with Tipp being the closest to catching them.  After that there is very little between ourselves, Cork and Waterford.

spuds

Board move to clear O'Carroll for hurlers
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0714/1224274657249.html

QuoteTHE DUBLIN County Board have intervened in the tug of war involving dual footballer and hurler Rory O'Carroll, clearing the way for his involvement in this evening's Leinster under-21 hurling final against Wexford at Parnell Park.

O'Carroll had been told by Dublin football manager Pat Gilroy not to play any part with the under-21 hurlers, and to save himself instead for Saturday's All-Ireland senior football qualifier against Armagh.

That prompted Dublin hurling manager Anthony Daly – who also acts as an under-21 selector – to refer to that decision as "a joke", that O'Carroll wouldn't do himself any harm whatsoever playing with the hurlers; especially considering four other under-21s are also due to play with the Dublin senior hurlers on Saturday in their qualifier against Antrim which takes place before the senior footballers.

"At this point in time all I would say is discussions have taken place," said Gerry Harrington, the Dublin county board chairman. "Although I wouldn't like to comment any further than that."

Given O'Carroll's hugely influential role at centre back in helping Dublin beat Kilkenny in the Leinster under-21 hurling semi-final last month, it now appears inevitable he will again play some part this evening – either in the starting 15 or as a substitute.

He was a late addition to the team the last day and hasn't actually been training regularly with the under-21 hurlers this season, but he's potentially one of Dublin's best defenders on the day.

Also, given the Leinster title is at stake this evening – and Dublin are looking to claim it for the second time in four years – there was always going to be pressure on the Dublin County Board to intervene in some way.

"It is a special occasion," said Harrington, "in the sense we have already won the Leinster title in under-21 football, and indeed went on to win the All-Ireland.

"This under-21 hurling team played a fantastic game of hurling against Kilkenny, down in Nowlan Park, two weeks ago. So I suppose the big picture is opening up for them now and, in that regard, it would be great to see as many Dublin hurling supporters as possible in Parnell Park for this final. It will make a great occasion.

"But Wexford certainly won't be easy opposition. No Wexford team is ever caught for style or passion or determination and I've no doubt this under-21 team will be no different."

Fellow Kilmacud Crokes player Robert O'Loughlin had, in the meantime, been drafted in for O'Carroll into the reshuffled Dublin half-back line, although that may now change again.

But Daly's strong criticism of Gilroy's decision to refuse O'Carroll permission to line out with the under-21s appeared to create some potential tension between the two senior managers.

Harrington played down this potential tension, although the situation again illustrates the inevitable conflict of interests whenever dual players try to play both codes at senior level.

"There has been good co-operation on both sides," added Harrington, "and I don't think this will sour that in any way, no. As I said there have been discussions."

Daly acts as a selector with Dublin Under-21 hurler manager Richard Stakelum, and didn't hold back in his comments on Monday when word first emerged of Gilroy's decision to keep O'Carroll for himself – as the former Clare All-Ireland winning captain compared the situation with soccer and rugby: "Look at how fellas last in the World Cup with matches every three or four days – how do they last on the Lions tour when they go and play twice a week? It's rubbish."

Whether O'Carroll starts with the hurlers in Parnell Park this evening, he will almost certainly be starting at full back with the senior footballers on Saturday as they take on Armagh in the third round of the All-Ireland football qualifiers – a far more daunting task for the beaten Leinster semi-finalists than last Saturday's second round against Tipperary.

On that note, Harrington has called for a greater show of Dublin support than the 22,048 that showed up in Croke Park for last Saturday's double-bill which also featured the Dublin senior hurlers beating Clare. "We would hope for a bigger show of support this Saturday, absolutely. But I suppose the day that was in it last Saturday, and the very wet conditions, probably turned quite a few people off. And probably the football supporters were always expecting us to beat Tipperary.

"But this weekend should be different in that Armagh are coming to town. I think it will make a great afternoon's entertainment in Croke Park and I would like to ask all our supporters to turn out on Saturday for the footballers and the hurlers. And to be in Croke Park in plenty of time."

Meanwhile, the Ulster Council have announced all seated tickets for Sunday's football final between Tyrone and Monaghan in Clones are sold. There are a number of terrace tickets available from county boards and Ticketmaster.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Declan

Great win by the U21s last night as well. Well done to all concerned

Galwaybhoy

Great win and great strides being made in Dublin hurling.  Hopfully improvements will continue to be made but its also important not to get too carried away.  There is still alot of hard work to be done which was evident watching the minors take on Kilkenny a couple of weeks ago.  But still major improvements compared to the state of Dublin hurling back 6 or 7 years ago.

bottlethrower7

Dublin were pretty awful in this game. Wexford should really have gotten more from the game. They died a bit when Dublin got their first goal, and had only really stayed in the game to that point via frees.

Still, it says a lot that they can perform so poorly yet still win. And a win is a win is a win.

fearglasmor

From what I saw on tv I thought Wexford looked the better hurlers but Dublins athleticism pulled them through.

Anyone think kicked goals should be banned ?

Canalman

In hurling Athleticism has NEVER beaten a better hurling team. Falling into a lazy stereotype there imo fearglasmór.
Watched the game on tv last night and never thought Dublin would be beaten...... even when 4 down. They looked more menacing throughout.

Dublin's bogey team( in hurling terms )awaits in Galway.