The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2014, 01:06:36 AM
For me, Maradona was better. Messi dandered about today and only played if the ball came to him. Maradona demanded the ball.

Messi was blessed with the players around him at Barca. He's still the best on the planet right now but no way would Messi have landed that '86 World Cup or the Napoli titles.

And me. Well said Wildweasel74.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on July 10, 2014, 06:16:11 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2014, 01:06:36 AM
For me, Maradona was better. Messi dandered about today and only played if the ball came to him. Maradona demanded the ball.

Messi was blessed with the players around him at Barca. He's still the best on the planet right now but no way would Messi have landed that '86 World Cup or the Napoli titles.

And me. Well said Wildweasel74.

When Maradona was shackled like Messi was last night he usually lashed out and spent the rest of the game in the bath.  A different player in a different time and a different type of game. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

johnneycool

Dutch keeper should have saved two of those penos last night, no wonder Van Gaaaaaaaaaaaal changed him out the other night, nifty enough ballwork during the game, but poor at the penos.

As for Kuyt, he'd a shit load of ball but as usual did the sum total of SFA with it. Mascherano was the best player on the pitch with or without the ball.

Messi doesn't look fit IMO, he saunters about and every once in a while we get a little burst out of him, then he's back to his sauntering. In saying that he made a great chance for Maxi who messed up the volley!!

Germany too strong IMO and will win by 2.

imtommygunn

To be fair to Kuyt they were playing a guy who was once a striker as a left back in the end...

I thought Demichellis was one of the best on view.

Mascherano showed why Robben doesn't get as much kudos as the real top guys(Messi, Ronaldo etc). He's got bucketloads of pace but if you maych him at pace he's lacking in a few areas. Mascherano did a great tackle on him at the last minute but he should have pulled the trigger earlier - a guy who's supposed to be as good as that shouldn't be missing.

Have a feeling the Argies will win the final in a dour game.

deiseach

It seems Van Gaal had trouble finding a player to take the first penalty. I find it hard to believe that Dirk was one of the refuseniks, just knew he was going to rattle home his penalty.

Maradona v Messi? Messi may be a better player, but Diego was (and is) rock & roll. 40 million Argies can't be wrong.

rodney trotter

Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 09, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 09, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Any one else feel that Brazil kind of got what was coming to them?

All the emotional crap before the games, the constant praying and posturing. In my mind they had completely lost the run of themselves and couldnt hack the occasion. The final straw was bringing out Neymar's jersey pre game, yes they want to show solidarity with their team mate but its not like he had died or that he even had a career threatening injury, they seem to have got so carried away with all that stuff and actually forgot to prepare mentally for the game.

Still difficult to decipher if Germany were just different class or that Brazil were just simply woeful, maybe a little of both me suspects.

Brazil were found out.  A distinctly average team.  One thing they might learn is that waving a shirt and shouting and blubbing during the anthem will not a World Cup win.  Even with Silva and Neymar they still would have been hammered.
shows how important Silva was to that Brazilian defence and he and Neymar should make it onto the team of the tournament.

Cant see how either would make it onto the team of the tournament, if Messi makes the final, he will take the 10 shirt and if not with Rodriguez likely to be top scorer he would be second choice IMO.

Plus you take then that Hummels/ Koscienly/ kompany and even Chaill would be ahead of Silva. Just because he missed out on a thrashing doesnt make him a great player at this tournament.

Koncienly had a average tournament and was dropped for the Germany game, so he wouldn't be ahead of Silva.  Chaill as in Gary Cahill? noway was he ahead ofThiago Silva.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2014, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 09, 2014, 03:08:48 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 09, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 09, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Any one else feel that Brazil kind of got what was coming to them?

All the emotional crap before the games, the constant praying and posturing. In my mind they had completely lost the run of themselves and couldnt hack the occasion. The final straw was bringing out Neymar's jersey pre game, yes they want to show solidarity with their team mate but its not like he had died or that he even had a career threatening injury, they seem to have got so carried away with all that stuff and actually forgot to prepare mentally for the game.

Still difficult to decipher if Germany were just different class or that Brazil were just simply woeful, maybe a little of both me suspects.

Brazil were found out.  A distinctly average team.  One thing they might learn is that waving a shirt and shouting and blubbing during the anthem will not a World Cup win.  Even with Silva and Neymar they still would have been hammered.
shows how important Silva was to that Brazilian defence and he and Neymar should make it onto the team of the tournament.

Cant see how either would make it onto the team of the tournament, if Messi makes the final, he will take the 10 shirt and if not with Rodriguez likely to be top scorer he would be second choice IMO.

Plus you take then that Hummels/ Koscienly/ kompany and even Chaill would be ahead of Silva. Just because he missed out on a thrashing doesnt make him a great player at this tournament.

Koncienly had a average tournament and was dropped for the Germany game, so he wouldn't be ahead of Silva.  Chaill as in Gary Cahill? noway was he ahead ofThiago Silva.

Koscielny only started 2 games. The Ecuador game when France were already through then the Nigeria game when Sakho was injured. So I wouldnt describe it as being dropped as Sakho was Deschamps first choice along with Verane. I thought in the games he played Sakho was excellent!!

rodney trotter

Hardly enough to be considered for the team of the tournament, Varane was good

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2014, 10:01:43 AM

See I thought Varane was poor. The way he got bullied for Hummel's goal was criminal.

A quick guess my side (4-2-3-1) would be:

Neuer
Isla
Hummels
Silva
Blind
Mascherano
Kroos
Robben
Rodriguez
Messi
Muller

A few Colombians and Chileans can feel hard done by

Canalman

Last night was about as poor a game as I have ever watched. "highlight " was Mascherano's tackle and that was it.

Hope Argentina win it now  but would be happy to see Germany win it also (if that makes sense).

WC entertainmentwise has fallen off a cliff since the group stages imo. Can't think of  a memorable game in the knockout stages bar the Brazil semi which we will never forget for obvious reasons.

Bensars

Quote from: johnneycool on July 10, 2014, 09:11:08 AM
Dutch keeper should have saved two of those penos last night, no wonder Van Gaaaaaaaaaaaal changed him out the other night, nifty enough ballwork during the game, but poor at the penos.

Commentary last night said that he had never saved a penalty in his professional career . Its not a bit wonder LVG changed him !  Unreal statistic if true ?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 10, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

See I thought Varane was poor. The way he got bullied for Hummel's goal was criminal.

Neuer
Isla
Hummels
Silva
Blind
Mascherano
Kroos
Robben
Rodriguez
Messi
Muller

How many other mistakes did Varane make, he had a good tournament for a player of 21. Yepes, David Luiz despite his performance against Germany also had good tournaments, Ron Vlaar too.

EC Unique

Lift the Cup   

Germany  8/11   Argentina  11/10

Draw at 90 mins is 9/4

Hard to call but I think maybe Germany after extra time.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 10, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 10, 2014, 10:16:53 AM

Neuer
Isla
Hummels
Silva
Blind
Mascherano
Kroos
Robben
Rodriguez
Messi
Muller

How many other mistakes did Varane make, he had a good tournament for a player of 21. Yepes, David Luiz despite his performance against Germany also had good tournaments, Ron Vlaar too.

You could argue the French didnt meet much before the German game. Forgot about Vlaar. Probably should be in there ahead of Silva.

rodney trotter

Maybe so, saying that I couldn't believe Vlaar was the first player to take a penalty for Holland last night. Messi the first for Argentina and a centre for the other team.