The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: HiMucker on June 24, 2014, 08:55:50 AM
In fairness is Freds goal scoring record for Brazil not 19 in 37 games after last night?  Not too shabby

It's not hard to pad the goal scoring stats playing international football, especially friendlies against crap teams.

HiMucker

That's a fair enough point, but off memory and I stand to be corrected, he scored two against Italy, two against Spain and one against Uruguay in last years confederation cup.  No doubt he has scored a few against dung opposition also.  His he not just a bit like Klose in the sense that he doesn't seem that great but still tucks them away on a regular basis?

Walter Cronc

Klose has done it regularly on the biggest stage (granted not much at club level).

Fred has a longgggg way to go to reach Klose's level.

J70

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2014, 08:56:38 AM
Bernerd too looks a great wee player. The goalkeeping for Neymars 2nd was awful.

Hilk looks like a fat lad playing 5 a side.

Itandje doesn't look like he knows even the basics of goalkeeping in this World Cup. Hard to believe he was no. 2 behind Reina at Liverpool five or six years ago.

WT4E

RTE are overly critical of Brazil IMO.

The analysis recently:

Germany v Ghana (2-2) - Germany seem to be taking it easy - they don't want to peak too early in the competition cause it has cost them in the past

Brazil v Cameroon (4-1) - Brazil are CRAP - thy won't win another match!!!

Mind Boogling!

AZOffaly

I'm not overly impressed with Brazil either this year, I think they have several ordinary players (Fred, Paulinho, David Luiz, Sammy Davis Junior, Hulk), but I think RTE were over the top last night. I thought Neymar was inspirational and at times Brazil played some lovely stuff, very clever stuff that would easily show up on a highlights reel from the 1982 team. The problem is, with RTE, everything has to be critical to show what good analysts they are, especially when judging a team against a glorious team of the past. They said that a couple of time 'This is Brazil!'. Well yes, it is, but it's not Brazil 1970, or 1982. And it's not Brazil 1994 either, so maybe just judge them as a team right now.

I think they have weaknesses, I think Chile may well beat them, but some of the play and the flicks and tricks last night were great, and fun, to watch.

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2014, 11:19:33 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2014, 08:56:38 AM
Bernerd too looks a great wee player. The goalkeeping for Neymars 2nd was awful.

Hilk looks like a fat lad playing 5 a side.

Itandje doesn't look like he knows even the basics of goalkeeping in this World Cup. Hard to believe he was no. 2 behind Reina at Liverpool five or six years ago.

I knew I had heard the name somewhere before!
Is this the same guy who was laughing during a Hillsborough memorial?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

That's him. First thing I thought of when I saw he was on the squad.

WT4E

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 11:34:13 AM
I'm not overly impressed with Brazil either this year, I think they have several ordinary players (Fred, Paulinho, David Luiz, Sammy Davis Junior, Hulk), but I think RTE were over the top last night. I thought Neymar was inspirational and at times Brazil played some lovely stuff, very clever stuff that would easily show up on a highlights reel from the 1982 team. The problem is, with RTE, everything has to be critical to show what good analysts they are, especially when judging a team against a glorious team of the past. They said that a couple of time 'This is Brazil!'. Well yes, it is, but it's not Brazil 1970, or 1982. And it's not Brazil 1994 either, so maybe just judge them as a team right now.

I think they have weaknesses, I think Chile may well beat them, but some of the play and the flicks and tricks last night were great, and fun, to watch.

I agree with the most of that. I fully expect Brazil to beat Chile. If it was being played in any other country I would discount Brazil as winners but I still have a feeling if they pick the right team they could go far. Their defence is very good - with exception of Luiz who isn't that bad! Fred, Hulk & Paulinho have to go. Ferandhino is a must I thought they played streets better when he was on the field. They don't have much depth but if they can get the 11 right and playing well in the knock outs who knows what will happen!

Love to see a Brazil Argentina final!

Billys Boots

I think their defence is poor, other than Thiago Silva - I reckon Sammy Davis Junior is playing as a sweeper, essentially, because of the paucity of the full-backs.  In terms of 'shape' they are extraordinarily bad when they're trying to create through possession from the back because there's no one in midfield - Cameroon were able to exploit that very well last night; there's a massive 'gap' between their defence and the attacking four (Neymar, Oscar, Fred and Hulk).  Given that Hulk and Fred contribute very little, anywhere, I think they're going to struggle from now on.  They may beat Chile, but they will eventually run into a team that can contain Neymar and will break down that back-five. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

I feel a sense of dread at the prospect of the reaction of RTÉ's panel should Brazil winning the World Cup. Rather than saying that Brazil did very well to win such an open tournament and being at home was clearly an advantage for such an unexciting squad, we'll hear plaintive wails about the Death Of Football. It'd be nice if Biiiilllll took the opportunity of his retirement to accuse them of being spoofers who were impervious to the facts, but that's too much to hope for.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 11:43:45 AM
That's him. First thing I thought of when I saw he was on the squad.

some journo was on twitter last week when he recognised him saying something to the tune of "easily the most arrogant footballer I ever interviewed"...some feat if close to the truth!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: WT4E on June 24, 2014, 11:22:04 AM

The analysis recently:

Germany v Ghana (2-2) - Germany seem to be taking it easy - they don't want to peak too early in the competition cause it has cost them in the past

Mind Boogling!

It was pretty evident from the German performance against Ghana that they werent going flat out. The 2 full backs never crossed that half way line for the first 60 odd minutes.

This is a very overhyped Brazilian side. Would Paulinho, Gustavo, Hulk or Fred make the German side!!

WT4E

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 24, 2014, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: WT4E on June 24, 2014, 11:22:04 AM

The analysis recently:

Mind Boogling!

It was pretty evident from the German performance against Ghana that they werent going flat out. The 2 full backs never crossed that half way line for the first 60 odd minutes.

This is a very overhyped Brazilian side. Would Paulinho, Gustavo, Hulk or Fred make the German side!!

To answer your question no - but my point is if they played a certain 11 players and with home town advantage I wouldn't be surprised if they won it. For the record the 11 I'm thinking of:
1 Ceasar
2. Dani Alves
3. Marcelo
4. Silva
5. Luiz/Dante
6. Fernandhino
7. Oscar
8. Gustavo
9. Neymar
10. Bernard
11. Willian

Walter Cronc

Oh I certainly agree they can definitely win it!!

It's between them, the Argies and Germany for me.

Holland have been great but like France inexperience could cost them!

If Robben has an off day they could struggle.