The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: CiKe on June 19, 2014, 08:03:58 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 18, 2014, 11:00:33 PM
Delighted Spain have been sent packing. The only goal they got in 180 minutes was a penalty that was not a penalty. Their cheating is the worst of any in the world (I was delighted Busquets was one that missed a sitter to get them back into the game) so I am glad no-one will be copying their "style" after this. As was said earlier - I'm sure they can comfort themselves with the possession stats. Boring, boring, boring.

Well done to Chile. Played with great speed, courage and no little skill despite what Del Bosque tried to imply in his post match comments (Chile were good physically - give me a break).

Can't stand Busquets and some of the others play acting at times is just as bad, but are they really any worse on the diving and hamming it up front than Germany (see Pepe vs Thomas Muller), England (Stevie G not shy about diving in the penalty area), Croatia or Brazil? Now that I think about you had a Chilean go off on a stretcher with about 10minutes to go and he was back on 30 seconds later.
I used to think they along with Barcelona, were great to watch, but somewhere along the line it seems they forgot how to shoot with a bit of venom and merely wanted to pass it in from 5 yards. Regarding the physical side of things, Chile were very very fit and were much more on their toes while Spain seemed to be playing with lead in their boots. What the average running stats were I don't know but I noticed that Vidal ran 11km in 88 minutes vs Pedro running 8km in 76 minutes (and he ran more than the average Spanish player in that time). This is not meant to take anything away from Chile by the way - it is a compliment.

Also not sure about the conspiracy theorists "had to have a madrileƱo" playing. I certainly wouldn't have picked him and think he was partly or wholly responsible for 5 of 7 goals, as well as Atletico's goal in the Champions League final but pretty sure 99% of Spaniards would have been fine with De Gea or Reina starting and Spain winning as opposed to Casillas fluffing his lines again and Spain sent packing. Casillas actually talked after the match about playing on at international level - he should learn from ex Rey Juan Carlos and bow out.

Do you mean the guy that hobbled back on and was substituted a few minutes later? I was watching that on BBC and to be fair to him Danny Murphy called it perfectly.

Ever team has divers but I don't think anyone is remotely at the level of the Spanish. I cannot watch La Liga due to this even though the technical level is superb. The referee yesterday didn't fall for it though so Spain were in trouble.

You touched on it earlier. This version of soccer where it is "keep the ball at all costs" - even when a decent shooting opportunity is created - is hateful. If you're not trying to score then what's the point?

Syferus

Quote from: WT4E on June 19, 2014, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2014, 09:13:06 AM
Quote from: southdown on June 19, 2014, 09:00:27 AM
The South American sides look to be on a level above the rest.  The likes of Chile, Mexico and Columbia have impressed.  Brazil have been poor whilst the Argies probably will be the strongest of the bunch.

For me it's between Argentina and Germany.  I would love to see Holland win it but I just don't think they have it in them.

Can't agree with that.  Chile have done well, Colombia have a big game today, I wasn't overly impressed v Greece. Brazil have been poor, Uruguay were awful against Costa Rica and have a huge game tonight, and Argentina were very average against Bosnia. Ecuador look average enough too. Of course it may change, but I don't see how you can say that the South American sides look to be a level above, right now.  (Mexicans won't thank you for calling them South Americans by the way :) ).

To me, thus far, the most impressive teams have been Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy and Chile in that order.

I honestly don't think Brazil have been as bad as people are saying. They were nervy against a good Croatia team but got the job done and then they would have beaten a well set up Mexican side had it not been for a goalie having the game and luck of his life. They'll finish winners of the group and I wouldn't be surprised if they still go the whole way.

With a competent keeper and ref Croatia would have walked through Brazil. Brazil winning that game had very little to do with themselves to be fair.

Mexico aren't up to much and I'd be surprised if they can get even a draw with Croatia. If Cameroon were anything other than a walking joke I'd be tempted to say Brazil could be out in the group stages. They need to step it up big time to get close to Chile or Holland in the second round.

WT4E

Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2014, 10:01:05 AM
Quote from: WT4E on June 19, 2014, 09:53:00 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2014, 09:13:06 AM
Quote from: southdown on June 19, 2014, 09:00:27 AM
The South American sides look to be on a level above the rest.  The likes of Chile, Mexico and Columbia have impressed.  Brazil have been poor whilst the Argies probably will be the strongest of the bunch.

For me it's between Argentina and Germany.  I would love to see Holland win it but I just don't think they have it in them.

Can't agree with that.  Chile have done well, Colombia have a big game today, I wasn't overly impressed v Greece. Brazil have been poor, Uruguay were awful against Costa Rica and have a huge game tonight, and Argentina were very average against Bosnia. Ecuador look average enough too. Of course it may change, but I don't see how you can say that the South American sides look to be a level above, right now.  (Mexicans won't thank you for calling them South Americans by the way :) ).

To me, thus far, the most impressive teams have been Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy and Chile in that order.

I honestly don't think Brazil have been as bad as people are saying. They were nervy against a good Croatia team but got the job done and then they would have beaten a well set up Mexican side had it not been for a goalie having the game and luck of his life. They'll finish winners of the group and I wouldn't be surprised if they still go the whole way.

With a competent keeper and ref Croatia would have walked through Brazil. Brazil winning that game had very little to do with themselves to be fair.

Mexico aren't up to much and I'd be surprised if they can get even a draw with Croatia. If Cameroon were anything other than a walking joke I'd be tempted to say Brazil could be out in the group stages. They need to step it up big time to get close to Chile or Holland in the second round.

They'll beat Chile or Holland in the next round. I expect Mexico to get a result against Croatia which may go some way to showing that this group was far from a cake walk!

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2014, 11:49:41 PM
There's still some gas in that team, certainly for the next Euros at least. Xavi might be gone but who else is terribly old and don't have world class replacements?

Look like a team that need a break.

Alonso is 32, will be 33 later in the year.  A few of the subs like Villa will be old by then too. Average age of the Squad  squad was 28. They had a good u21 team last year won the the European Championship those players should be  coming through like tello, thiago missed out with injury.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 19, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2014, 11:49:41 PM
There's still some gas in that team, certainly for the next Euros at least. Xavi might be gone but who else is terribly old and don't have world class replacements?

Look like a team that need a break.

Alonso is 32, will be 33 later in the year.  A few of the subs like Villa will be old by then too. Average age of the Squad  squad was 28. They had a good u21 team last year won the the European Championship those players should be  coming through like tello, thiago missed out with injury.

Fabregas is an absolutely excellent replacement for Alonso. Carzola and Mata aren't even near the starting line-up either. Few teams are able to replace players like Alonso with that level of talent.

If Costa eventually comes through for them or they find another striker I think they'll be well placed the next time. Might be time to replace Del Bosque though.

rodney trotter

Koke should be the main man in that midfield for the next 10 years. The Spanish have a lot of similar players so thats why Mata wasn't in the team,  Silva probaly has better work rate too.

joemamas

Ireland's Tommy Smyth commentating on ESPN radio yesterday, midway through second half of Chile V Spain, "Chile aren't exactly parking the but, but there are a couple of Taxi's back there".

He is a welcome relief from some of the commentating ESPN TV, aside from Ian Darke that is, Roberto Martinez was the co-commentator on a game at the weekend, (while knowledgeable and likeable) could not understand a word he was saying. It was almost bordering on the ridiculous.

In their studio it is worse, Alexi Lalas comes across as pompous, Rudd van Nistleroy( poor english) Gilberto Silva, same, all in all poor fare from them.

AZOffaly

Ossie Ardiles left the RTE Panel last night as he is appearing on Argentine TV for the rest of the world cup. Nice man, but jaysus it's hard to understand what he is saying.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2014, 01:52:58 PM
Ossie Ardiles left the RTE Panel last night as he is appearing on Argentine TV for the rest of the world cup. Nice man, but jaysus it's hard to understand what he is saying.
Canavaro is teh same on ITV, very hard to understand him at times, and i dont always think he grasps the question he is being asked as he ends up answering a different one!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gawa316

Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2014, 01:48:17 PM
Ireland's Tommy Smyth commentating on ESPN radio yesterday, midway through second half of Chile V Spain, "Chile aren't exactly parking the but, but there are a couple of Taxi's back there".

He is a welcome relief from some of the commentating ESPN TV, aside from Ian Darke that is, Roberto Martinez was the co-commentator on a game at the weekend, (while knowledgeable and likeable) could not understand a word he was saying. It was almost bordering on the ridiculous.

In their studio it is worse, Alexi Lalas comes across as pompous, Rudd van Nistleroy( poor english) Gilberto Silva, same, all in all poor fare from them.

Did you hear the boy commentating with...Chilaay this and Chilaay that?

What's the story/background with Tommy Smith?

Jell 0 Biafra

Jaysis if you think van Nistleroy has poor English, you can't possibly like Tommy Smyth!  Worst commentator I have ever heard in any sport.  Thankfully ESPN moved him to halftime "analysis" a couple of years ago.

NAG1

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 19, 2014, 02:53:16 PM

Jaysis if you think van Nistleroy has poor English, you can't possibly like Tommy Smyth!  Worst commentator I have ever heard in any sport.  Thankfully ESPN moved him to halftime "analysis" a couple of years ago.

+1

AZOffaly

The onion bag. He used to drive me nuts when I watched soccer in the States.

joemamas

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 19, 2014, 02:53:16 PM

Agreed the odd comment can be cringeworthy, but by and large he is a lot better than most, he aslo has improved over the years. He used to do a running commentary over the "loudspeaker" on Gaelic football games in Gaelic Park, it was a little bit distracting to say the least for the first few times I played. It was bad enough to be playing poorly, but to have Tommy exacerbate that with a "and he kicks it harmlessly wide" did not exactly help your confidence. It was always good for a laugh after in the bar after game when some wiseass reminded you of same.

BennyCake

The crowd at some of the games looks like a massive game of Connect 4.