The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 08:47:21 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 03, 2014, 05:14:11 PM
I've never forgiven the Argentinians for beating the Dutch in '78, so I'll never root for them, even though they look an attractive footballing side. 

I find it hard to warm to the Germans, though there's no doubt that their recent teams again play attractive, if still pragmatic, football. 

That said, I have a soft spot for the Italians, roguish though their pragmatism can sometimes be - they know what to do and you gotta love them for it.  Kinda. 

I admire the Spanish for how they've overcome their propensity for choking, through an immense rethink of how they play the game - there's not many nations would have the patience and leadership to do it.  There are some tremendously difficult people to like in their setup, however, so I won't be rooting for them this time. 

France - what a mess, great to look at, from a distance. 

Engerland - like watching a car crash over and over and over; boring at this point.

Brazil - think they've an automatic right to win it; absolutely wonderful teams in '82 and '86 but fragile defensively.  They're actually annoying to watch since they've learned to defend. 

Belgium - for me, the new Spain.  Don't think they've got the numbers (of world-class players) to win it but I think they'll make a good splash and take someone unexpected out.  Will be rooting for them myself. 

Sadly though, I think Brazil will win it.

I see you're really gonna enjoy watching all these teams you hate play off against each other!

I am indeed, but not as much as you're going to enjoy watching Paraguay.  Oh, wait a minute ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Milltown Row2

No European team has won in the Americas, so logic/odds will tell you that either Argentina or Brazil (both being the better teams from the Americas) will win it, the host nation teams have also won a lot too

I'm betting on Argentina, so stick your money on Brazil
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: beer baron on June 04, 2014, 09:00:47 AM
Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 10:59:50 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2014, 10:18:30 PM
Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 09:02:17 PM
Belgium are particularly over-rated in my eyes. Haven't been to a WC in over 12 years and now face off to one in South America which is a tougher ask in my opinion. Also self-proclaimed football geniuses have proclaimed that they'll have a good World Cup which is a bit like predicting you'll hit water if you fall out of a boat. Their recent glut of talent is apparent to almost anyone with a passing interest in soccer so "tipping" them as dark horses is a bit like predicting nighfall. They're about as big as a secret in world soccer as the secret that Sepp Blatter is a corrupt b**tard.
they are 22/1 . Hardly over rated
http://www.oddschecker.com/

I must put some money on the Dubs, Brazil and Kilkenny flopping this summer

Did I say they'd win it? They're all the talk this weather but honestly I think the Italians, Uruguayan's or Paraguayans look like sides who could do alot more than people think in this championship.

Jebus man you were playing a blinder doin' the Dunphy/Hook/Spillane.

But now you've gone all Brolly and predicted 3 surprises in the on tournament, 2 of whom are in the same group as Engerland and 1 who will really cause a surprise if they do anything, seeing as they haven't qualified!
Ha caught out there, ah well still think the Belgians are over-rated. Alot of their players play in the EPL as well, football home to all the English players who have shown up to be poor enough at previous tournaments. Does Vertongen, Mignolet, Januziaj, Lukaku, etc deserve to be rated higher than their Spanish/ Italian league counterparts who star for non-champions league teams as well?

This is where im a bit surprised at the whole Belgian fan club.They've plenty of good players but how many are really top drawer? Kompany and perhaps Hazard and Courtois.
It is the same as the club championship really. It depends on how good the non galacticos are.

beer baron

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 04, 2014, 10:07:52 AM
No European team has won in the Americas, so logic/odds will tell you that either Argentina or Brazil (both being the better teams from the Americas) will win it, the host nation teams have also won a lot too

I'm betting on Argentina, so stick your money on Brazil

I'm sure the conditions will suit the American/African sides a bit more than the Europeans but surely the professionalism in sides and the advances in nutrition and training methods made in the last 20 years or so will close the gap considerably.

Before the last World cup no European team had won a World cup in the Southern Hemisphere but Spain won it with the Dutch the other finalists and the Germans in 3rd. I honestly don't think it's going to have a huge bearing on things. That's not to say Argentina or the Brazilians won't win it but if they do it'll be more because they played the best football than anything else in my opinion.

AZOffaly

The crowds would be a factor too I'd say beer baron. South Africa would have been neutral territory.

Gold

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2014, 10:54:04 AM
The crowds would be a factor too I'd say beer baron. South Africa would have been neutral territory.

Ferbane ?!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

trileacman

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 04, 2014, 09:02:04 AM
I find it hard to warm to the Germans, though there's no doubt that their recent teams again play attractive, if still pragmatic, football. 

That said, I have a soft spot for the Italians, roguish though their pragmatism can sometimes be - they know what to do and you gotta love them for it.  Kinda. 

I admire the Spanish for how they've overcome their propensity for choking, through an immense rethink of how they play the game - there's not many nations would have the patience and leadership to do it.  There are some tremendously difficult people to like in their setup, however, so I won't be rooting for them this time. 

Engerland - like watching a car crash over and over and over; boring at this point.

Brazil - think they've an automatic right to win it; absolutely wonderful teams in '82 and '86 but fragile defensively.  They're actually annoying to watch since they've learned to defend. 

Belgium - for me, the new Spain.  Don't think they've got the numbers (of world-class players) to win it but I think they'll make a good splash and take someone unexpected out.  Will be rooting for them myself. 

I like the Germans ever since 2006 when they made the most of little talent. Their pragmatism can be stifling a small percent of the time but at the same time it's admirable in it's own way. I'd be happy enough to see them go all the way.

The Italians I used to like more but to be honest I've little time for them now. Just don't have the same quality of players as Grosso, Canavarro, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Totti and old as those players were when they won in 2006. They stick to their defensive style and it gets them places but it just won't cut it at the top without talent.

What Spainards do you hate? Can't think of one myself. They're grand but would prefer someone else lifting the cup to break their dominance, as long as it's not those dutch pricks, pure hatchet men, be delighted to see them turfed out.

I actually like the English this year and think they stand a better chance than usual. Their golden generation was not that golden to anyone who didn't buy into the hype and this year their squad isn't worse than before. That said "Woy" knows f**k all, but with a better manager they could have gone further than they will. I used to hate them but they've provided so much comedy gold in international tournaments since I was a child that it's hard to keep hating them. I'll put it this way, after a while you really want wily coyote to catch the road-runner, just to break the monotony. It's the same with England.

France are a rabble, their physce is just unique. Remember Domenech prorposing on the tv whilst the population went ape-shit? Then there was the mutiny at the WC and all the other shit. Funny thing is that their rugby team did almost an exact copy at the last WC too. Appointed a shite coach, bizarre selections and then player power ousted them. The stuff from the lads who stormed the Bastille must still be bred into them.

I don't think the Brazilains are that cocky (neymar excepted) and it'd be nice to see them get it. As you've said they've learned to defend and sadly all that joga bonita shite is gone along with the helter-skelter game-plan. The sheer entertainment of that will be missed but you can't hold it against them. They could play beautiful football and get beat all the time or they could play standard football and win. We'd all pick the same option as they did, every last one of us.

I've had my spake on the Belgians, looking forward to seeing the Paraguayans stuff them.  ;)
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gold on June 04, 2014, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2014, 10:54:04 AM

Ferbane ?!

Ferbane? Yes. Not sure what that's got to do with Brazil though :)

laoislad

Anyone follow Match of the day on Twitter?
They are doing a "live" commentary on the Argentina v England game from Mexico 86 at the moment.

@bbcmotd
http://m.bbc.com/sport/live/football/26689868
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trileacman on June 04, 2014, 12:18:59 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on June 04, 2014, 09:02:04 AM

I like the Germans ever since 2006 when they made the most of little talent. Their pragmatism can be stifling a small percent of the time but at the same time it's admirable in it's own way. I'd be happy enough to see them go all the way.

The Italians I used to like more but to be honest I've little time for them now. Just don't have the same quality of players as Grosso, Canavarro, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Totti and old as those players were when they won in 2006. They stick to their defensive style and it gets them places but it just won't cut it at the top without talent.

What Spainards do you hate? Can't think of one myself. They're grand but would prefer someone else lifting the cup to break their dominance, as long as it's not those dutch pricks, pure hatchet men, be delighted to see them turfed out.

I actually like the English this year and think they stand a better chance than usual. Their golden generation was not that golden to anyone who didn't buy into the hype and this year their squad isn't worse than before. That said "Woy" knows f**k all, but with a better manager they could have gone further than they will. I used to hate them but they've provided so much comedy gold in international tournaments since I was a child that it's hard to keep hating them. I'll put it this way, after a while you really want wily coyote to catch the road-runner, just to break the monotony. It's the same with England.

France are a rabble, their physce is just unique. Remember Domenech prorposing on the tv whilst the population went ape-shit? Then there was the mutiny at the WC and all the other shit. Funny thing is that their rugby team did almost an exact copy at the last WC too. Appointed a shite coach, bizarre selections and then player power ousted them. The stuff from the lads who stormed the Bastille must still be bred into them.

I don't think the Brazilains are that cocky (neymar excepted) and it'd be nice to see them get it. As you've said they've learned to defend and sadly all that joga bonita shite is gone along with the helter-skelter game-plan. The sheer entertainment of that will be missed but you can't hold it against them. They could play beautiful football and get beat all the time or they could play standard football and win. We'd all pick the same option as they did, every last one of us.

I've had my spake on the Belgians, looking forward to seeing the Paraguayans stuff them.  ;)

Great quote :)

I like the Brazil of my childhood. The yellow jerseys, blue shorts white socks. Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Josimar (First cousin of PaudieMar - thanks seafoid). Brazil of 1994 and to a lesser extent 2002 turned me off them a bit, but I have to say they have some nice players, and it would be good to see them going well for the whole atmosphere around the stadium. If they get ahead in a game, watch for a bit of the Joga Bonita to return. They still have it in them, and if they are beating anyone by a couple of goals, watch for the flicks and backheels. If they go behind they could implode spectacularly though.

Spain have been very admirable, but I just have enough of them now. When they broke onto the scene they were brilliant, with Xavi, Iniesta and Torres in his pomp. I think they started to get a bit staler when Torres started to subside, and they've never really replaced him. I don't think Negredo is the answer, and if they play with a 'false 9' for this tournament, I think they'll be caught out.

I dislike the Dutch, largely because of Robben. Humpy hoor. They are good value for an auld bust up, but I was disappointed in them in South Africa. The country that gave the world 'total football' shouldn't resort to total disembowelment to try and win games. Cruyff would be turning in his grave if he were dead :D

Uruguay were dodgy enough in qualifiers, but will be dangerous is Suarez is fit. If he's not fit they may struggle to come out of that group, but I think they are the best side there. I expect Italy to start slowly enough, probably with a draw versus England, limp past Costa Rica and then have a great game with Uruguay at the end. Suarez being fit, or not, might make that game a 1v2 decider, or possibly even a knockout game in its own right.

England have low expectations, but they have a bit of youthful exuberance. As long as Rooney tries a bit, Gerrard doesn't try and win the games on his own, and Hodgson lets them off the leash, the English might have a decent tournament.

France are also a bit of a soap opera, but I thought they looked good the other night. Pogba looks like he could be a star, but will any side with Giroud as the #9 really be a threat? It's possible, and I might have a few bob on them to reach the semis. If they win their group they will be up against Nigeria or Bosnia probably. If they've had that momentum behind them, I'd expect them to win that and be in the quarters. If they slip up in the group stages (be careful v Ecuador and Switzerland!!) then it would probably be Argentina and Au revoir les bleus.

Argentina are probably my pick to win it all. Again, if they win the group it's probably Ecuador or Switzerland for a place in the last 8, and anything can happen then. They do have a tendency to shit on the eggs as well, and if Messi is still a bit laboured they'll probably not get there, but they have a lot of talent. Zabaleta, Di Maria, Mascherano, Messi, Higuain and Aguero would get on most sides.

The Germans, I feel, maybe at a glass ceiling. I expect them to top that group, with Portugal and Ghana fighting out for second, but after that it might start to get tricky. If Russia or Belgium are the opposition in the round of 16 that's no gimme, and if they win that, it's probably France  in the quarters. Then Maybe Brazil in the semis. Germany might also just struggle for goals if Klose can't be the comeback man again, because even though Muller and co can score, I'm not sure people are going to walk into the counter attack buzz saw this time around.

The Belgians will be interesting. It's probably the best squad since the 80s with Scifo, but as others have said, the star quality is not necessarily there. I think Lukaku is injured which doesn't help, but Fellaini might be starting on this team!! In seriousness though, it's fairly balanced with a lot of good players, so they'll probably win the group and maybe face Ghana or Portugal in the second round. Win that one and it's probably Argentina, which will be the game that probably defines the credentials of the Belgians. Win it, and they have justified their dark horse status. Lose and they're just another ho hum team.

Just for the laugh, as of now, my group winners and second place would be

Brazil (Mexico), Netherlands (Chile!), Colombia (Ivory Coast), Uruguay (England), France (Switzerland), Argentina (Nigeria), Germany (Ghana), Belgium (Russia)

A bet on those group winners would pay out  €1469 for a €10 accumulator. I might do a couple of lucky 15s.

Billys Boots

QuoteWhat Spainards do you hate? Can't think of one myself.

I don't 'hate' anyone - I said "There are some tremendously difficult people to like in their setup".  I'd not be sitting down for porter with Ramos, Busquest and Martinez, for a start.   :P

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

dec

Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2014, 12:28:40 PM
They are doing a "live" commentary on the Argentina v England game from Mexico 86 at the moment.

@bbcmotd

Engerland have just pulled it back to 2-1. There is still a chance.

laoislad

Quote from: dec on June 04, 2014, 01:55:47 PM

@bbcmotd

They are moaning about a possible hand ball on Maradona's first goal.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trileacman

Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2014, 01:58:25 PM

@bbcmotd

Always with the excuses.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

dec

Quote from: trileacman on June 04, 2014, 02:02:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 04, 2014, 01:58:25 PM

@bbcmotd

Always with the excuses.

Don't worry about it, by tomorrow it will be forgotten about.