The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Belgium are particularly over-rated in my eyes. Haven't been to a WC in over 12 years and now face off to one in South America which is a tougher ask in my opinion. Also self-proclaimed football geniuses have proclaimed that they'll have a good World Cup which is a bit like predicting you'll hit water if you fall out of a boat. Their recent glut of talent is apparent to almost anyone with a passing interest in soccer so "tipping" them as dark horses is a bit like predicting nighfall. They're about as big as a secret in world soccer as the secret that Sepp Blatter is a corrupt bastard.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rodney trotter

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 09:02:17 PM
Belgium are particularly over-rated in my eyes. Haven't been to a WC in over 12 years and now face off to one in South America which is a tougher ask in my opinion. Also self-proclaimed football geniuses have proclaimed that they'll have a good World Cup which is a bit like predicting you'll hit water if you fall out of a boat. Their recent glut of talent is apparent to almost anyone with a passing interest in soccer so "tipping" them as dark horses is a bit like predicting nighfall. They're about as big as a secret in world soccer as the secret that Sepp Blatter is a corrupt b**tard.

Your some man for ranting let it all out.

seafoid

Belgium are particularly over-rated in my eyes. Haven't been to a WC in over 12 years and now face off to one in South America which is a tougher ask in my opinion. Also self-proclaimed football geniuses have proclaimed that they'll have a good World Cup which is a bit like predicting you'll hit water if you fall out of a boat. Their recent glut of talent is apparent to almost anyone with a passing interest in soccer so "tipping" them as dark horses is a bit like predicting nighfall. They're about as big as a secret in world soccer as the secret that Sepp Blatter is a corrupt b**tard.
they are 22/1 . Hardly over rated
http://www.oddschecker.com/

I must put some money on the Dubs, Brazil and Kilkenny flopping this summer

trileacman

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2014, 10:18:30 PM

Did I say they'd win it? They're all the talk this weather but honestly I think the Italians, Uruguayan's or Paraguayans look like sides who could do alot more than people think in this championship.

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 10:38:15 PM

Did I say they'd win it? They're all the talk this weather but honestly I think the Italians, Uruguayan's or Paraguayans look like sides who could do alot more than people think in this championship.

Jebus man you were playing a blinder doin' the Dunphy/Hook/Spillane.

But now you've gone all Brolly and predicted 3 surprises in the on tournament, 2 of whom are in the same group as Engerland and 1 who will really cause a surprise if they do anything, seeing as they haven't qualified!
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

;D

Neymar looked good tonight, in fairness. Brazil look like a 'wind behind them' team. I wonder if they go 1 down how they'll react?

Your man Jo is wicked. Fred isn't much better. Great names though. Sound like the midfield partnership for silver mines intermediate hurlers.

Sidney

I think it's unlikely the Paraguayans will do more than Belgium, considering they haven't qualified.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:08:28 PM
;D

Neymar looked good tonight, in fairness. Brazil look like a 'wind behind them' team. I wonder if they go 1 down how they'll react?

Your man Jo is wicked. Fred isn't much better. Great names though. Sound like the midfield partnership for silver mines intermediate hurlers.

Silvermines. One word. No excuses. 

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 10:59:50 PM

But now you've gone all Brolly and predicted 3 surprises in the on tournament, 2 of whom are in the same group as Engerland and 1 who will really cause a surprise if they do anything, seeing as they haven't qualified!
Ha caught out there, ah well still think the Belgians are over-rated. Alot of their players play in the EPL as well, football home to all the English players who have shown up to be poor enough at previous tournaments. Does Vertongen, Mignolet, Januziaj, Lukaku, etc deserve to be rated higher than their Spanish/ Italian league counterparts who star for non-champions league teams as well?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2014, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 08:49:43 PM
Quote from: TabClear on June 03, 2014, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 03:54:54 PM
Quote from: beer baron on June 03, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
No Ribery apparently lads,would be a bit concerning if i were following France. Germans for me, Reus to be in the running for Player of the Tournament too i reckon.

World Cup Commandments

1.Thou shalt never write off the Germans.

2. The media shall adopt a African team as thy new God....until the quarter finals.

3. England shalt go out agonisingly on penalties, when finally looking like Champions, in the quarter-final.
4. The tournament will be marketed to death by purveyors of sugary drinks

5. Thou shalt bemoan the 'naive defending' every time a goal is scored against an African team
Hasta la victoria siempre

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 04, 2014, 02:09:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2014, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 08:49:43 PM
Quote from: TabClear on June 03, 2014, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 03:54:54 PM
Quote from: beer baron on June 03, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
No Ribery apparently lads,would be a bit concerning if i were following France. Germans for me, Reus to be in the running for Player of the Tournament too i reckon.

World Cup Commandments

1.Thou shalt never write off the Germans.

2. The media shall adopt a African team as thy new God....until the quarter finals.

3. England shalt go out agonisingly on penalties, when finally looking like Champions, in the quarter-final.
4. The tournament will be marketed to death by purveyors of sugary drinks

5. Thou shalt bemoan the 'naive defending' every time a goal is scored against an African team

6.  Whenever the camera scans the crowd, only hot chicks shall be seen.  Can the Brazilians demonstrate that Sweden will not be be missed in this vital category?

Muck Savage

Quote from: laoislad on June 03, 2014, 05:26:47 PM
I think Argentina will win it. Wouldn't mind if they did.
Would like to see one of the African nations do well.

Didn't know Argentina moved to Africa  ;D

Belgium the dark horses  ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 03, 2014, 11:25:23 PM
;D

Auto correct on the iPad doesn't recognise dolla's finest.

Gold

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2014, 08:02:23 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 03, 2014, 11:25:23 PM
;D

Auto correct on the iPad doesn't recognise dolla's finest.

What about your team in the Offaly Championship??! Is the Centre Forward County star still lining out.....any further Championship 2014 stories to be told...last 'book' I read!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

beer baron

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2014, 11:58:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 10:59:50 PM

Ha caught out there, ah well still think the Belgians are over-rated. Alot of their players play in the EPL as well, football home to all the English players who have shown up to be poor enough at previous tournaments. Does Vertongen, Mignolet, Januziaj, Lukaku, etc deserve to be rated higher than their Spanish/ Italian league counterparts who star for non-champions league teams as well?

This is where im a bit surprised at the whole Belgian fan club.They've plenty of good players but how many are really top drawer? Kompany and perhaps Hazard and Courtois.