The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2014, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: beer baron on June 03, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
No Ribery apparently lads,would be a bit concerning if i were following France. Germans for me, Reus to be in the running for Player of the Tournament too i reckon.
Germans schedule is awful, serious amount of travelling. Their high tempo pressing game isn't suited to the climate...reckon they will run out of steam by game 5. Pity because I put 20 on them after the Euros in 2012! ha

Ribery has been included in the French 23 apparently but I think they are able to make a change up until 24 hours before their first game.

AZOffaly

Keane is obviously mulling over a few options, and I'd say he has zero interest in filling minutes on ITV being asked about it. It sounds like he may well end up in the Premier League, but if he goes to Villa, Paul Lambert must be fairly sure he's out the door.

It'll be ironic that Keane will again be slated by some lads for walking out on Ireland, while this time he'll be slated as well by Celtic fans (who were defending him doing that) for turning down the Celts :)

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
Keane is obviously mulling over a few options, and I'd say he has zero interest in filling minutes on ITV being asked about it. It sounds like he may well end up in the Premier League, but if he goes to Villa, Paul Lambert must be fairly sure he's out the door.

It'll be ironic that Keane will again be slated by some lads for walking out on Ireland, while this time he'll be slated as well by Celtic fans (who were defending him doing that) for turning down the Celts :)
I don't think Keano gives two shites about what anyone else thinks about him, and he's dead right.

Under Lights

Please keep Ireland chat out of the World Cup thread please. No place for ROI in here.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2014, 12:40:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 12:38:41 PM

I don't think Keano gives two shites about what anyone else thinks about him, and he's dead right.

I know that, but I'm sure he has zero interest is being asked on TV 'Are you staying with Ireland' 'Are you going to Villa' 'What are you doing' etc/

muppet

No Ribery apparently lads,would be a bit concerning if i were following France. Germans for me, Reus to be in the running for Player of the Tournament too i reckon.

World Cup Commandments

1.Thou shalt never write off the Germans.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:58:20 AM
I hope Argentina win it, and I have a sneaky feeling for the French to make a bit of noise too. I think Brazil are too dependent on Neymar and I don't trust him.
Brazil are a bit light in the striker department. 
It would be great to see Argentina winning. 

Billys Boots

I've never forgiven the Argentinians for beating the Dutch in '78, so I'll never root for them, even though they look an attractive footballing side. 

I find it hard to warm to the Germans, though there's no doubt that their recent teams again play attractive, if still pragmatic, football. 

That said, I have a soft spot for the Italians, roguish though their pragmatism can sometimes be - they know what to do and you gotta love them for it.  Kinda. 

I admire the Spanish for how they've overcome their propensity for choking, through an immense rethink of how they play the game - there's not many nations would have the patience and leadership to do it.  There are some tremendously difficult people to like in their setup, however, so I won't be rooting for them this time. 

France - what a mess, great to look at, from a distance. 

Engerland - like watching a car crash over and over and over; boring at this point.

Brazil - think they've an automatic right to win it; absolutely wonderful teams in '82 and '86 but fragile defensively.  They're actually annoying to watch since they've learned to defend. 

Belgium - for me, the new Spain.  Don't think they've got the numbers (of world-class players) to win it but I think they'll make a good splash and take someone unexpected out.  Will be rooting for them myself. 

Sadly though, I think Brazil will win it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

laoislad

I think Argentina will win it. Wouldn't mind if they did.
Would like to see one of the African nations do well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 03:54:54 PM

World Cup Commandments

2. The media shall adopt a African team as thy new God....until the quarter finals.

trileacman

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 03, 2014, 05:14:11 PM
I've never forgiven the Argentinians for beating the Dutch in '78, so I'll never root for them, even though they look an attractive footballing side. 

I find it hard to warm to the Germans, though there's no doubt that their recent teams again play attractive, if still pragmatic, football. 

That said, I have a soft spot for the Italians, roguish though their pragmatism can sometimes be - they know what to do and you gotta love them for it.  Kinda. 

I admire the Spanish for how they've overcome their propensity for choking, through an immense rethink of how they play the game - there's not many nations would have the patience and leadership to do it.  There are some tremendously difficult people to like in their setup, however, so I won't be rooting for them this time. 

France - what a mess, great to look at, from a distance. 

Engerland - like watching a car crash over and over and over; boring at this point.

Brazil - think they've an automatic right to win it; absolutely wonderful teams in '82 and '86 but fragile defensively.  They're actually annoying to watch since they've learned to defend. 

Belgium - for me, the new Spain.  Don't think they've got the numbers (of world-class players) to win it but I think they'll make a good splash and take someone unexpected out.  Will be rooting for them myself. 

Sadly though, I think Brazil will win it.

I see you're really gonna enjoy watching all these teams you hate play off against each other!
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: TabClear on June 03, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

World Cup Commandments

2. The media shall adopt a African team as thy new God....until the quarter finals.

3. England shalt go out agonisingly on penalties, when finally looking like Champions, in the quarter-final.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 08:49:43 PM
Quote from: TabClear on June 03, 2014, 06:42:33 PM

World Cup Commandments

3. England shalt go out agonisingly on penalties, when finally looking like Champions, in the quarter-final.
4. The tournament will be marketed to death by purveyors of sugary drinks