The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: deiseach on June 20, 2014, 03:55:34 PM
I'd agree it comes from that rugby/cricket tradition. The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.

;D

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on June 20, 2014, 03:42:33 PM
On a general point, the English (as do the other teams in these islands) make a rod for their own backs with their obsession with captaincy. Other countries view it as a nice honour, usually given to the player with the most caps, but nothing more than that. The English though view it as sacred, the armband like a Ring of Power. Once you pick someone as captain you can't drop them because then you made a mistake by picking him in the first place. Brits, eh? ::)

I think it relates to the part the media play.

English seem to turn to the media for excuses and glorification.

BennyCake

The Italian anthem is the same as the theme from Keeping Up Appearances.

joemamas

Tommy Smyth Gem at beginning of second half of Italy and Costa Rica, he and commentator were talking about Pirlo and how he was having a quite game. Tommy " he looks like he is lacking that bit of Gizz", other commentator goes "what", obviously the term Gizz has a different meaning in Louth than in the U.S.

beer baron

Ha,i'm jinxing every team i mention on here.

Wildweasel74

Where the Hell have Costa Rica pulled a team out off, thought they be a one trick pony

seafoid

They're going home, they're going home, England are  going  home.

laoislad

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 20, 2014, 06:44:08 PM
Where the Hell have Costa Rica pulled a team out off, thought they be a one trick pony
You hear this horseshite about England having no world class players etc. Yeah it does help of course but Costa Rica have just proven you don't need them. A well managed well organised team who all give 100% is far more important.
That's what England is missing rather than a superstar like Suarez.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

if teams like Costa Rica can show a set of balls in the world cup i am miffed how the republic cant get their act together to qualify

beer baron

That young Campbell lad will have plenty of offers if Wenger doesn't want him. I'd say Fulham fans are gobsmacked at Bryan ruiz actually doing some work for his side too,always had talent but never tried a leg with them.

BennyCake

Up next...

Cheese-eating Surrender Monkeys Vs Yodelling Nazis...

But who cares, because ENGLAND ARE OUT!!!! Heh heh heh heh...

Capt Pat

England are out after failing in their first two games. Their first time losing their opening two games and their quickest exit from a world cup.  ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Capt Pat on June 20, 2014, 07:48:52 PM
England are out after failing in their first two games. Their first time losing their opening two games and their quickest exit from a world cup.  ;D

They went out quicker than this at USA 94.

Jell 0 Biafra

Someone must've shown Balotelli a photo of the queen at half time--he never even touched the ball in the second half.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea