The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

A Linfield shop has been forced to put a sign in its window after the flag of the Ivory Coast had customers in a flap.

The football shop on Belfast's Shankill Road said it was forced to put up the sign after customers mistook the orange, white and green flag of the African nation for the Irish tricolour.
The flag appeared on bunting, featuring the flags of all 32 countries taking part in the World Cup, which was draped in the shop's window to celebrate the tournament.
But staff were forced to put a sign underneath the flag of the Ivory Coast which read: "This is the Ivory Coast NOT Republic of Ireland."
Although both flags consist of the same three colours, the colours of the Ivory Coast's flag are in reverse order to those of the Republic of Ireland.
A woman at the shop told the Irish News: "People just thought it was the [Irish] Tricolour. It obviously isn't, as it's the flag of the Ivory Coast, so that's why we had to put the sign up."
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

haveaharp

Quote from: laoislad on June 19, 2014, 06:08:36 PM

A Linfield shop has been forced to put a sign in its window after the flag of the Ivory Coast had customers in a flap.

The football shop on Belfast's Shankill Road said it was forced to put up the sign after customers mistook the orange, white and green flag of the African nation for the Irish tricolour.
The flag appeared on bunting, featuring the flags of all 32 countries taking part in the World Cup, which was draped in the shop's window to celebrate the tournament.
But staff were forced to put a sign underneath the flag of the Ivory Coast which read: "This is the Ivory Coast NOT Republic of Ireland."
Although both flags consist of the same three colours, the colours of the Ivory Coast's flag are in reverse order to those of the Republic of Ireland.
A woman at the shop told the Irish News: "People just thought it was the [Irish] Tricolour. It obviously isn't, as it's the flag of the Ivory Coast, so that's why we had to put the sign up."

CIV IRA, could they not have put a wee red hand on that other fleg rather than a red circle.

Capt Pat

A good goal for the Ivory Coast from Gervinho has them back in the game.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2014, 03:26:39 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 19, 2014, 02:53:16 PM
Quote from: joemamas on June 19, 2014, 01:48:17 PM
Ireland's Tommy Smyth commentating on ESPN radio yesterday, midway through second half of Chile V Spain, "Chile aren't exactly parking the but, but there are a couple of Taxi's back there".

He is a welcome relief from some of the commentating ESPN TV, aside from Ian Darke that is, Roberto Martinez was the co-commentator on a game at the weekend, (while knowledgeable and likeable) could not understand a word he was saying. It was almost bordering on the ridiculous.

In their studio it is worse, Alexi Lalas comes across as pompous, Rudd van Nistleroy( poor english) Gilberto Silva, same, all in all poor fare from them.

Jaysis if you think van Nistleroy has poor English, you can't possibly like Tommy Smyth!  Worst commentator I have ever heard in any sport.  Thankfully ESPN moved him to halftime "analysis" a couple of years ago.

Agreed the odd comment can be cringeworthy, but by and large he is a lot better than most, he aslo has improved over the years. He used to do a running commentary over the "loudspeaker" on Gaelic football games in Gaelic Park, it was a little bit distracting to say the least for the first few times I played. It was bad enough to be playing poorly, but to have Tommy exacerbate that with a "and he kicks it harmlessly wide" did not exactly help your confidence. It was always good for a laugh after in the bar after game when some wiseass reminded you of same.

I kicked a point form the endline one day " fl/mayo kicks a point form the endline....he can scarcely believe himself" came booming from the loudspeakers.   

AQMP

Could Danny Murphy's assertion that in Cote D'Ivoire and Colombia "England have nothing to fear" come back and bite him in the bum...assuming Eng get out of the group!!

AQMP

This may come back to bite me in the bum but I think England will win comfortably here.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
Townsend talks some shite!!!!

Mind you, he did once manage to convince a lot of people he was Irish!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on June 19, 2014, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
Townsend talks some shite!!!!

Mind you, he did once manage to convince a lot of people he was Irish!

He was as Irish as big Tony Cascarino

Trevor Steven and Souness are very good commentators
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

George Hamilton has literally no idea what these lads look like, he's just picking a name and hoping he's right
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

rossiewanderer

Dont know what Welbeck brings to the table for England,Would be way better off with Barkley.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me