The Official Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 13, 2010, 04:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

beer baron

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 17, 2014, 10:31:38 PM
Germany are winning it.

Don't be at it Tony,i had half a dozen friends onto me yesterday evening telling me to go collect my winnings after the Portugal game. Long way to go yet and i was hoping for a bigger test from Portugal before going into knockout and getting caught on the hop  :(.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 17, 2014, 10:48:04 PM
Argentina will win it
I think France will make semi if final at least. HipsterMeself

Capt Pat

I will have to stick it out with Brazil as my pre tournament favourites. If I could choose again after the opening round of games I would go with the Germans.

beer baron

Well there's the blooper of the tournament anyway.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Quote from: beer baron on June 18, 2014, 12:27:32 AM

To be expected from a shower of amateurs like RTE. How could you not know you're on air FFS? Do they not have a floor manager?  ::)

AZOffaly

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 18, 2014, 12:57:47 AM
Quote from: beer baron on June 18, 2014, 12:27:32 AM

To be expected from a shower of amateurs like RTE. How could you not know you're on air FFS? Do they not have a floor manager?  ::)

The Soccer lads are great.

AZOffaly

The World Cup has hit a bit of a lull at the moment, in terms of game quality. Had to happen, but hopefully it picks up again quickly.

Should be a couple of good ones today. Cameroon and Croatia both need a win given the draw between Brazil and Mexico, so I'd expect both of them to have a go. And in the Spain v Chile game at 8 pm, it could be a great one. Chile can't defend, it seems, based on their performance when Australia had a go at them, but they looked good going forward, and we know all about Spain. Possession stats will be interesting in this one because it seems both teams like to have the ball and set the tempo. My sister is in Rio at the moment and hopefully she gets to this one. She says there is an unreal amount of Chilean fans around the place.

beer baron

Yeah i was on about Akinfeevs howler for Russia alright but Dunphy's swearing has caught plenty of attention too.

I think Croatia will win today,Mexico could have beaten Cameroon 3 or 4-0 last week and Croatia have one of the best midfields in the tournament and have Mandzukic back which will be a boost.

In the Spain game i can see them putting on an exhibition if Del Bosque does as i suspect he will and drop Xavi for Koke or maybe even Martinez for some more solidity and i wouldn't be overly surprised if Costa is dropped too for Cesc or Pedro,hasn't really caught up to his team mates thinking yet and it's a big game to hope it clicks.

I'm a fan of Chile but i can't see them getting anything out of this game today. I am a bit surprised at how many are writing off the Spanish after that game last week. I thought they were brilliant in the 1st half and if David Silva squared the ball like 99% of the time he would do rather than trying to chip the Goalie just before the Dutch goal they would've been 2 up and won cosily in my eyes.

Come 10 o clock this evening i'll be very surprised if the World of football is quite as dismissive of the Spanish threat as they are at the minute.

AZOffaly

I agree that if Silva hadn't squandered that opportunity it would be hard to see the Dutch coming back (which is also why I'm wary of over-egging the Dutch prospects). I think Chile will cause Spain problems if they get enough ball off them, because they have pace and intricate movement. However I don't think their style is one that will worry Spain. A quick counter attacking team is probably what gives Spain the most headaches.

Any point in del Bosque playing both Costa and Koke? Costa seemed lost to me in the formation he was asked to play the first day. Koke might get a bit closer to him. Big call to drop Xavi though, would really be a signal that the end of an era is upon us. I'd not be surprised to see Costa dropped for Fabregas, and the old false 9 coming into play.

AZOffaly

Line ups are in. Should be routine for the Dutch, but I'd expect Australia to be more defensive, which won't really suit Holland. they may get a surprise here if they are casual or get frustrated. I can't see it though, when 1st place in the group is up for grabs.

AustraliaAUSTRALIA
1 RYAN (GK)   
3 DAVIDSON
4 CAHILL
6 SPIRANOVIC
7 LECKIE
11 OAR
15 JEDINAK (C)   
17 MCKAY
19 MCGOWAN
22 WILKINSON
23 BRESCIANO

NetherlandsNETHERLANDS
1 CILLESSEN (GK)
2 VLAAR
3 DE VRIJ
4 MARTINS INDI
5 BLIND
6 DE JONG
7 JANMAAT
8 DE GUZMAN
9 V. PERSIE (C)
10 SNEIJDER
11 ROBBEN

Are the dutch the only ones so far to play 1-11 in the old fashioned way?

muppet

MWWSI 2017