What to buy (bring home) from the States.

Started by men in black, July 13, 2010, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

men in black

Going to the States and was thinking whats the best deals on stuff that would be a cheaper buy over there.
e.g camcorder ?

The Subbie

Goal line technology, time machine for referee sludden ;)

men in black

Don't know if I would have the money for those, but there is a new Topic there IN HINESIGHT

J OGorman

derryhero

armaghniac

Well don't buy something that only works on 110v and an NTSC tv, otherwise you'll only be able to use it on trips to the US.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

mannix

Levis jeans
timberland clothes
tools
i bought a hilti laser level, horizontal/vertical for 900 dollars, same thing was 1650 euro at home, a paint sprayer i paid 430  dollars for was 3 times the price for the exact same thing. we are getting fleeced for some stuff in Ireland, no doubt about it.
Electronic stuff will work anywhere, its the warranty that can be a problem, keep all your receipts.

The Real Laoislad

I wanna buy a DSLR,have my heart set on a Sony Alpha A500,gonna cost €550 here would something like that be cheaper in the States,going to New York in September
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Payless shoes has great bargains, brilliant shopping outlets in most big cities, (Las vegas has the best one's) great offers on Gun's but i don't think u'll get them home  :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

Quote from: ross4life on July 13, 2010, 05:12:54 PM
Payless shoes has great bargains, brilliant shopping outlets in most big cities, (Las vegas has the best one's) great offers on Gun's but i don't think u'll get them home  :P

Nonsense. Their shoes appear cheap because they are poorly made knock offs. Get yourself to an outlet mall, and/or the likes of Ross (discount clothing store in the mould of TJ Maxx) if you are looking for a bargain. Your better half may find a few bits and pieces at the likes of payless shoes - but thats because girls wear 40 different pairs of shoes. For the average guy - give that place a miss.

The outlet malls in vegas are not that great to be honest. If I was that close, Id drive on over to california, they have some much better outlets in northern, central and southern california that I think offer much more than the Vegas outlets.

Quote from: mannix on July 13, 2010, 04:50:29 PM

Levis jeans
timberland clothes
tools
i bought a hilti laser level, horizontal/vertical for 900 dollars, same thing was 1650 euro at home, a paint sprayer i paid 430  dollars for was 3 times the price for the exact same thing. we are getting fleeced for some stuff in Ireland, no doubt about it.
Electronic stuff will work anywhere, its the warranty that can be a problem, keep all your receipts.

The bargains were much better 7-8 years ago when the pound was pummelling the dollar, but I know that when the folks come over these days they see less bargain than they used to. They are definitely buying less stuff.

Due to the sheer volume of consumerism however, many things are indeed noticeably cheaper. As someone mentioned earlier - guitars and musical equipment are defintiely better bought here, if you need such things.

Golfing equipment is a little cheaper also.

Timberland clothing (one of my favourite brands of all time) has unfortunately been taken over by a specific demographic - and has turned into a thug/gangland/NWA symbol.

My advice? Get to the addidas outlets in southern cal, or in vegas, and buy up all the addidas predators you can get your hands on. Right now these

are selling for 49$. This was a $210 dollar shoe 18 months ago. The thing is no one buys them over here because they are built for soft ground - which we dont have. Buy em up, take em home, and sell the heap.

mannix

Puckoon

Kerry Mike

QuoteI wanna buy a DSLR,have my heart set on a Sony Alpha A500,gonna cost €550 here would something like that be cheaper in the States,going to New York in September

LaoisLad: Go with a Canon or Nikon, much better selection of lenses and accessories to go with it , the Sony can be very limited and people like Sigma lens dont really support Sony yet, and believe me once you get one you will want to expand your kit.

I've bought cameras and stuff over the years in BH Photo and J&R are the places to go, perfer J&R, stay well away from the camera shops around Times Square, cheap but crap.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football