8 people killed in Donegal car crash

Started by omagh_gael, July 12, 2010, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Absolutely tragic news from last night, apparantley 7 dead in one car all young people in their twenties. RIP and my best wishes to their families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10594606.stm

orangeman

Norf Tyrone

That's terrible news to wake up to. The closeness of that community down there suggests everyone will know someone that was in the car.

RIP.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

omagh_gael

Ah jeez it seems to be more tragic according to RTE report it was seven young lads in a Passat that was involved in a separate collision just before the fatal accident. Must have been massive speed to cause so much destruction.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0712/rta.html

Galwaybhoy

May the rest in peace.  My condolances to the families and friends.

haveaharp

Am i reading this right, there was that many in the one car. Tragic accident, their families will be going through hell. May they rest in peace

give her dixie

Tragic news all right. I heard a report about it last night before I went to bed.
They had said there were multiple deaths, but I never thought it would be this bad.
May they rest in peace.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

thejuice

Awful tragedy. God rest them. Such a waste.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

cokers

Tony Baloney

Quote from: haveaharp on July 12, 2010, 11:44:18 AM
Am i reading this right, there was that many in the one car. Tragic accident, their families will be going through hell. May they rest in peace
Aye 8(!) in the Passat 7 of which died along with 1 in Toyota.

The Real Laoislad

Shocking news alright,but in all fairness cramming 8 people into a car is just asking for trouble.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Siggy

This must be the worst road crash in the history of the country.

Awful news for the families to receive.

The names of the deceased in last night's collision on the Clonmany to Buncrana Road have been released by Gardai. Those travelling in the black Volkswagen Passatt were –

Paul Doherty, Ardagh, Ballyliffin 19

James Mc Eleney, Minaduff, Clonmany 23

Eamon Mc Daid, Cruckahheny, Ballymagan, Buncrana 22

Damien Mc Laughlin, Umrican, Buncrana 21

Mark Mc Laughlin, Ballynahone, Fahan 21

PJ Mc Laughlin, Rockstown, Tooban, Burnfoot 21

Kieran Sweeney, Ballyliffin, 19

None of the victims are believed to be related. The driver of the Volkswagen remains critically ill in hospital.

The driver of the red Toyota Corolla was 66 year old Hugh Friel of Dunaff, Clonmany.

ross4life

Have to ask why was there 7 in one car? anyways Shocking news may they all rest in peace
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Ball DeBeaver

Quote from: ross4life on July 12, 2010, 06:10:56 PM
Have to ask why was there 7 in one car? anyways Shocking news may they all rest in peace

There were actually 8 people in the Passat, with the driver being the only person to survive.
It seems that the Passat had hit a Megane side-on before running into the Toyota. Looks likely that the driver of the Passat lost control of the car going round a bend in the road, as there were pictures of the scene where it hit the Megane, with the Megane well inside it's own side of the road.
Tragic
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ross4life on July 12, 2010, 06:10:56 PM
more than once when I was that age there was that many of us in a car either going out or coming home.

An awful tragedy, beyond words. Imagine being the driver who survived.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?