DUBLIN V ARMAGH sat 17th @ 5.00pm croke park

Started by lawnseed, July 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteIt will simply remind us of better days. Because both teams are so far away from 2002 and 2003 models its not funny.

Hopefully we have both declined in the same proportion.

As an aside for me the 2002 game was one of the highlights of the whole Armagh saga, the first full new Croker in full colour, hot day, close game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Quote from: AFS on July 13, 2010, 12:42:17 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 13, 2010, 12:34:07 AM
Regardless of the result this game isn't going to give any team the answers they need.

We should probably ask them to redo the draw then. Waste of time this game, by the sounds of things.

Neither side will make an imprint on the all-ireland series this year . Teams that get tanked by monaghan and meath generally don't. Still we'd enjoy the win for past defeats to armagh. A win however won't paper over the cracks for either. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy the day. This is potentially our only highpoint of the season.

Armaghgeddon

Regardless of the result this game isn't going to give any team the answers they need.

We should probably ask them to redo the draw then. Waste of time this game, by the sounds of things.

In terms of performance.

If we lose to Dublin easily we have gone backwards. How bad does that make Armagh look if Meath annihilated them. If we beat Dublin the question still remains how well have we progressed?

We have won more games this year than last year but when you look at the quality in the teams we have beaten it tarnishes how well the team have done.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2010, 12:47:23 AM

Neither side will make an imprint on the all-ireland series this year . Teams that get tanked by monaghan and meath generally don't. Still we'd enjoy the win for past defeats to armagh. A win however won't paper over the cracks for either. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy the day. This is potentially our only highpoint of the season.

Armagh and Dublin won't win the AI [unless a miracle happens] but there is potential for a bit more progress, maybe even a last 4 depending on if the draw is kind.

armaghniac

Armagh and Dublin won't win the AI [unless a miracle happens] but there is potential for a bit more progress, maybe even a last 4 depending on if the draw is kind.

Armagh were never very likely to do big things this year, but with Ronan Clarke we might have taken a scalp, now we are firing on 3 cylinders at best.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mountainboii

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 13, 2010, 12:49:35 AM
If we lose to Dublin easily we have gone backwards. How bad does that make Armagh look if Meath annihilated them. If we beat Dublin the question still remains how well have we progressed?

We have won more games this year than last year but when you look at the quality in the teams we have beaten it tarnishes how well the team have done.

If we win it would take some twisting of logic to suggest that progress hasn't been made. Four wins will better the previous three years combined. Given our abysmal form of late I don't think we are in any position to be dismissive of the calibre of the opposition in those victories. We should be delighted with any sort win.

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2010, 12:47:23 AM
Neither side will make an imprint on the all-ireland series this year .

We're well aware of this. Has anyone suggested otherwise?

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2010, 12:47:23 AMA win however won't paper over the cracks for either.

This game isn't about papering over anything. Armagh are a work in progress. I'm hoping a win in Croke Park over a big name (which the Dubs still are, regardless of their struggles), and in front of a decent crowd, will help lay a couple more blocks in the foundations of future success.

Armaghgeddon

QuoteIf we win it would take some twisting of logic to suggest that progress hasn't been made. Four wins will better the previous three years combined. Given our abysmal form of late I don't think we are in any position to be dismissive of the calibre of the opposition in those victories. We should be delighted with any sort win.

Dont get me wrong I am more than delighted and if we do go out against Dublin I think it will be a successful season. Although it may seem harsh, this year has made me the proudest I have been of Armagh since 2005 and that is some comparison and that's even thorough 2 heavy defeats. Im still going to think it will be hard to see how good this team really is. There is a big performance in both of these teams and hopefully it will be on Saturday. The good thing about Armagh is that apart from the Meath game we have lost with 14 men and thats when and the only time Armagh seems to falls apart.

mountainboii

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on July 13, 2010, 01:35:08 AM
QuoteIf we win it would take some twisting of logic to suggest that progress hasn't been made. Four wins will better the previous three years combined. Given our abysmal form of late I don't think we are in any position to be dismissive of the calibre of the opposition in those victories. We should be delighted with any sort win.

Dont get me wrong I am more than delighted and if we do go out against Dublin I think it will be a successful season. Im still going to think it will be hard to see how good this team really is. There is a big performance in both of these teams and hopefully it will be on Saturday. The good thing about Armagh is that apart from the Meath game we have lost with 14 men and thats when this is the only time Armagh falls apart.

I'll tell you exactly how good they are: about 5 or 6 players short of an AI winning team. But it isn't about how good they are now, it's how good they are in 2012 or 2013 that matters. Anything achieved before then is a bonus.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: AFS on July 13, 2010, 01:41:44 AM

Dont get me wrong I am more than delighted and if we do go out against Dublin I think it will be a successful season. Im still going to think it will be hard to see how good this team really is. There is a big performance in both of these teams and hopefully it will be on Saturday. The good thing about Armagh is that apart from the Meath game we have lost with 14 men and thats when this is the only time Armagh falls apart.

I'll tell you exactly how good they are: about 5 or 6 players short of an AI winning team. But it isn't about how good they are now, it's how good they are in 2012 or 2013 that we should be looking at. Anything achieved before then is a bonus.

Very true AFS. Would be exciting to see the options in attack in a few years and the midefield should be experienced enough and the defence will only get better. Would dare say we are near pushing it now, just need the midfield to get some experience and have some more consistent fowards.

Tyrone and Monaghan would have begun the rebuilding progress by then so don't think it will be long till Armagh are back on top of Ulster  ;D

PatDaly

I'll tell you exactly how good they are: about 5 or 6 players short of an AI winning team. But it isn't about how good they are now, it's how good they are in 2012 or 2013 that matters. Anything achieved before then is a bonus.

Its no coincidence that Armagh's two big defeats this year have been when that tool Martin Sludden from Tyrone was the "referee". We've only lost one other competitive game this year and that was a game we really should have won against Meath back in February in Navan.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0606/monaghan_armagh.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0322/1224266809592.html

Armagh can beat Dublin provided Sludden is not the referee. He should immediately hang up the whistle after his disgraceful decision to award Meath "the goal" in Sunday's Leinster final. An obvious square ball infringement, followed by a goal more akin to a rugby style try and then a failure to consult with his umpires should mean Sludden is dropped as a referee similar to what happened to poor referees in the world cup.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: PatDaly on July 13, 2010, 02:03:52 AM

Its no coincidence that Armagh's two big defeats this year have been when that tool Martin Sludden from Tyrone was the "referee". We've only lost one other competitive game this year and that was a game we really should have won against Meath back in February in Navan.

Armagh can beat Dublin provided Sludden is not the referee. He should immediately hang up the whistle after his disgraceful decision to award Meath "the goal" in Sunday's Leinster final. An obvious square ball infringement, followed by a goal more akin to a rugby style try and then a failure to consult with his umpires should mean Sludden is dropped as a referee similar to what happened to poor referees in the world cup.

Ive never really had a dislike against any referee but for him I make the exception. Luckily he will not be ruining any teams ambitions for the rest of the year. Would be happy enough with Maurice Deegan, McEnaney or Micheal Duffy.

mountainboii

Quote from: drici on July 13, 2010, 02:21:26 AM
Dublin v Armagh
5-00pm   Páirc an Chrócaigh
Referee: Joe Mc Quillan
Extra Time if required

Bensars

Quote from: PatDaly on July 13, 2010, 02:03:52 AM

Unreal. So its all a referrees fault. I assume from the time of your post that the paranoia was at its height.

For the record whatever you think of Martin Sludden, he hasnt been the cause of Armagh failing to build on their success in 2002 never mind 2010.

Both counties very much going through a period of rebuilding after losing a lot of established players over recent years. You shouldnt feel the need to use a scapegoat to justify inadequacies in performance.

Dublin to sqeeze out a win in what will hopefully be a good game for the neutral

Orior

Breaking news:

No inter-county referee has ever gone out with the objective of beating one team.

If anyone can prove otherwise, then I'll eat my hat.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mackers

Quote from: AFS on July 13, 2010, 03:20:44 AM
Quote from: drici on July 13, 2010, 02:21:26 AM
Dublin v Armagh
5-00pm   Páirc an Chrócaigh
Referee: Joe Mc Quillan
Extra Time if required
Always thought that McQuillan was one of the better referees we have so I'm glad to see that appointment. This year is definitely about rebuilding, you can't just write off two teams just because they won't win Sam. It will be a great experience for our younger players to play the Dubs in Croke Park with 40-50k watching. It'll be interesting to see how they react. A few posters seemed to think that we have no leaders on our team after the Monaghan debacle but I'd expect Ciaran McKeever, Brendan Donaghy and Stevie McDonnell to lead our younger players on Saturday.
It's imperative that the right team takes to the field....some big selection issues for the management to take.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.