What should be done about the Leinster Final Fiasco?

Started by muppet, July 11, 2010, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should be done?

Award Louth the title and Meath enter qualifiers
39 (22.8%)
Order a replay
69 (40.4%)
Meath are champions and Louth enter qualifiers
63 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

KeithCarroll23

In all fairness.. we all complain that soccer should have viedo ref... but gaa gas 4 umpires and I thought that it was abd always is a great idea.. so where was the umpire today.. the ref should be sent home ans how about replaying 15 mins a side with the same score before the meath goal...

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 07:46:47 PM
If this had happened in the first minute would people still be calling for a replay?

If it had happened in the first minute Louth would have had 69 minutes to put things right. As it stands they had no chance, which is very unfair.

If it was a point that was given but had gone wide?

Quite possibly. As discussed elsewhere it has happened in the Championship before.

If a player had received a red card but didn't leave the playing area?

If the sent off player affected the outcome, then yes, a replay may well be appropriate.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

KeithCarroll23

We have can be proud of have one up on FIFA by having umpires by 4.. that was up until today. the umpire should have spoke to the ref and stood by the rules... square ball or goal disallowed... why don't they replay 15 mins each half.. with the scores starting off before the Meath goal...

johnpower

Quote from: lawnseed on July 11, 2010, 07:07:28 PM
Cooney already throwing up shite about the ref getting roughed up didnt want to get off the fence and say what most gaels think- it has to be a replay. thought i saw sludsie heading into the lisdoo for his dinner just now :D :D :D

Mr Cooney of FAS .I am sure he will sort it out quick smart ?

muppet

Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 08:07:33 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 07:58:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:49:15 PM
If this had happened in the first minute would people still be calling for a replay? If it was a point that was given but had gone wide? If a player had received a red card but didn't leave the playing area?
A combination of the stage in the game and Louth's long run without a Leinster seem to have made people go a bit mad. There won't be a reply nor should there be. Time for Louth to get the heads down and prepare for their next game. They are a good team and should be looking to go further.

But it didn't happen in the first minute did it? Why do people persist with irrelevant arguments?

Oh right, I see now. So irrelevant arguments are those that you don't agree with? You, and others need to straighten out the knickers and realise that the GAA will not award a replay (Don't think Meath will either).

No, irrelevant arguments are ones about things that didn't happen.

I know the Gaa won't award a reply please point out where I said they would. I am completely against a replay as I believe Louth won the game fair and square.

Louth did not win the game. You may feel they should have but they didn't.

The referee awarded a goal to Meath, blew full time and de facto awarded them the game. The Gaa and some people here will hide behind rulebooks, dangerous precedents and worst of all suggestions that Louth didn't deserve to win (did Meath?) to avoid the obvious injustice that was committed.

Sport should be able to right terrible wrongs just like every other walk of life should. The difference is most other walks of life at least try, the Gaa will shrug its shoulders and say it isn't in the rulebook.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

If this had happened in the first minute would people still be calling for a replay? If it was a point that was given but had gone wide? If a player had received a red card but didn't leave the playing area?
A combination of the stage in the game and Louth's long run without a Leinster seem to have made people go a bit mad. There won't be a reply nor should there be. Time for Louth to get the heads down and prepare for their next game. They are a good team and should be looking to go further.

But it didn't happen in the first minute did it? Why do people persist with irrelevant arguments?

Oh right, I see now. So irrelevant arguments are those that you don't agree with? You, and others need to straighten out the knickers and realise that the GAA will not award a replay (Don't think Meath will either).

I know the Gaa won't award a reply please point out where I said they would. I am completely against a replay as I believe Louth won the game fair and square.
you should look at the final score from that match then !

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 08:38:13 PM

you should look at the final score from that match then !

I did and I still believe that Louth won the game fair and square.
MWWSI 2017

RMDrive

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 08:36:43 PM

The referee awarded a goal to Meath, blew full time and de facto awarded them the game. The Gaa and some people here will hide behind rulebooks, dangerous precedents and worst of all suggestions that Louth didn't deserve to win (did Meath?) to avoid the obvious injustice that was committed.

Sport should be able to right terrible wrongs just like every other walk of life should. The difference is most other walks of life at least try, the Gaa will shrug its shoulders and say it isn't in the rulebook.

My point is, how terrible should the wrong be before it is corrected? Surely all wrongs are terrible? If the GAA replays this game then how many others will have to follow suit. Up and down the country this weekend it is likely that there were games decided based on errors from officials. Should they all be replayed? The outrage is all very well and everyones heart goes out to Louth but they are not the first team to get shafted like this and they won't be the last. And as I said before they would be best served by everyone letting them get the heads down for their next game.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 08:42:30 PM

My point is, how terrible should the wrong be before it is corrected? Surely all wrongs are terrible? If the GAA replays this game then how many others will have to follow suit. Up and down the country this weekend it is likely that there were games decided based on errors from officials. Should they all be replayed? The outrage is all very well and everyones heart goes out to Louth but they are not the first team to get shafted like this and they won't be the last. And as I said before they would be best served by everyone letting them get the heads down for their next game.
thats 100% correct, but while people are still raging over louth losing (meath winning) and that one bad refs error - you wont get people to agree while they are emotionally upset !

KeithCarroll23

but like normal thr ref seemed to be playing for the draw.. look ay the waterford cork game... a draw.. how was it that over a munite and a half was played before the Meath goal was scored.. something has to be done.. maybe Meath should suggest a replay.. then again its been so long from their last Leinster title.. fair play may not come into it...

muppet

There is a huge difference between this and all other wrongs. Not a single person other than Joe Sheridan has argued that the goal should stand. Most other wrongs are open to interpretation and are usually disputed by both sides involved, in which case you have to accept the decision of the official.

This wrong is indisputable.
MWWSI 2017

put-it-up

Exactly. I played an u16 final two years ago. A shot was about two yards over the line but I instinctively jumped back and slapped it away and back out of the goal-mouth. Ref never copped. Should the Ballygobackwards team we were playing in a Roinn D final get a replay aswell?

It is a can of worms. I think the long-term solution is to actually make it clear to umpires what there duties are and maybe get clubs refs from the designated referees county to do the duties.

muppet

Quote from: put-it-up on July 11, 2010, 08:49:59 PM

Exactly. I played an u16 final two years ago. A shot was about two yards over the line but I instinctively jumped back and slapped it away and back out of the goal-mouth. Ref never copped. Should the Ballygobackwards team we were playing in a Roinn D final get a replay aswell?

It is a can of worms. I think the long-term solution is to actually make it clear to umpires what there duties are and maybe get clubs refs from the designated referees county to do the duties.

You might be happy that the integrity of the game has been shown to be seriously lacking, but I'm not.
MWWSI 2017

RMDrive

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 08:47:23 PM

There is a huge difference between this and all other wrongs. Not a single person other than Joe Sheridan has argued that the goal should stand. Most other wrongs are open to interpretation and are usually disputed by both sides involved, in which case you have to accept the decision of the official.

How is there a huge difference? A lot of wrongs are indisputable. Are you honestly suggesting that nothing as unfair as this has happened before?

muppet

Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 08:47:23 PM

How is there a huge difference? A lot of wrongs are indisputable. Are you honestly suggesting that nothing as unfair as this has happened before?

This is about the 3rd post that you put words in my mouth.

I have suggested nothing of the sort. You are the one generalising all the time talking about all other wrongs.

Do you accept that Louth were cheated out of a Provincial Title today?

If so what should (note not will) be done about it?
MWWSI 2017