Huge Roman Coin Find

Started by nrico2006, July 08, 2010, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10546960.stm

Unbelievable the 'treasure' that is being found, even crazier when in most cases the finds are only a matter of inches below the ground.  Near tempted to get a metal detector myself.  What kind of reward does the man and field owner get?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

under the bar

They get 50% of the market value of the find each while it goes to the Britich Museum.   Don;t think its the same in Republic though or at least it wasn't.  I remember a young lad finding a small chalice much like the ardagh one in the 80's and he only got a pittance.

Aerlik

Errrrm, I don't imagine you'll  be finding ANY Roman treasure in ANY part of Ireland.   :P
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Shamrock Shore

Romans did briefly hit Ireland. I believe there was a small encampment in Wicklow/Wexford but they felt the country was so miserable and wet (they called the country Hibernia which means wintry) that they abandoned any thoughts of a colonisation.

mannix

in fact it was the price of property that put the romans off Hibernia. the crappy climate was just an excuse, now when the brits invaded centuries later they were all wearing Barbour jackets and thus the weather did not bother them as much.

muppet

Quote from: Aerlik on July 08, 2010, 01:03:57 PM
Errrrm, I don't imagine you'll  be finding ANY Roman treasure in ANY part of Ireland.   :P

You might if you look in the right places : http://www.worldtimelines.org.uk/world/british_isles/ireland/AD43-410/romans
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 08, 2010, 01:55:25 PM
Romans did briefly hit Ireland. I believe there was a small encampment in Wicklow/Wexford but they felt the country was so miserable and wet (they called the country Hibernia which means wintry) that they abandoned any thoughts of a colonisation.

Definitely saw a boy like him playing for Wicklow last week. Same eyes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

The fact that he was decapitated would mean he's probably a Wicklow hurler.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 08, 2010, 01:55:25 PM

Ml. O'Leary reckons it was the airport tax put them off and they went to the Canaries instead.