Munster SHC Final

Started by lilpaulie85, July 04, 2010, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpaulie85

heres hoping this will be up to the standard of games played previously between these two teams.

I think it will be close with waterford edging it by the odd point.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Reillers

I love Munster finals, nothing much better than a day out in Munster Championship and it rarely gets better than Cork V Waterford, especially when you look at the games we've been thrown over the last decade.

I'd be worried about the game all right, Waterford have a good record against us over the years and that's worrying. We've a few injuries as well that hopefully will be cleared up in time for the game.

I would love if we won Munster, a far cry from the All Irelands a few years ago, but always a much better place than the havoc of the last 2 seasons. The game will be a case of let the best hurling team win, talent, heart and skill, and the team who gets it right tactically on the day will win. It'll be a close one, but hopefully we'll win it.

I look back at the Tipp game, as good as it was, I keep asking myself are we really that good? Or was that a one off, and a combination of Tipp being that bad.
But hopefully we'll beat Waterford and we can move on from there. Winning Munster would be great, never mind the fact that we'd avoid Kilkenny.

amallon

Heading to it and staying down in Hayes' on Sunday night.  Where should we locate ourseleves before and after the game for a bit of craic?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

seafoid

I remember being at the Munster final, Cork Vs Waterford, in 1983. Cork scored 5-33 and still they didn't win the all-Ireland.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2010, 09:27:15 AM
I remember being at the Munster final, Cork Vs Waterford, in 1983. Cork scored 5-33 and still they didn't win the all-Ireland.

5-31. Although it would have been 6-30 had Ray Cummins not handpassed the ball over the bar when he already rounded John Power in the goal. It is events like that that make me grateful for what we have whether we win the All-Ireland or not

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: amallon on July 06, 2010, 07:33:05 PM
Heading to it and staying down in Hayes' on Sunday night.  Where should we locate ourseleves before and after the game for a bit of craic?

Hayes' is right on the square, if it's a sunny day you'll be out in the square, otherwise you'll be seeking shelter inside...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Reillers

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 07, 2010, 11:59:13 AM

Hayes' is right on the square, if it's a sunny day you'll be out in the square, otherwise you'll be seeking shelter inside...

Ya, to be fair, just follow the crowd. Not sure how long people will want to stick around afterwards, some will be hurrying home for the world cup final I suppose. To be fair there's always great craic before and after the game, there'll always be a good crowd there, but most will be keen to get home. You'll not be short people by supermax anyway before hand.

What time you heading down at because there will probably be a crowd in early to watch the minor final, one way or the other either Cork or Waterford will be in the minors.

Anyway, there'll always be a crowd around for the craic, there'd probably have been more if Tipp were in the final, but because both sets are traveling fans most will want to hit the road early, or the train. Whichever. But you'll find someone.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 07, 2010, 12:43:56 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 07, 2010, 11:59:13 AM

Ya, to be fair, just follow the crowd. Not sure how long people will want to stick around afterwards, some will be hurrying home for the world cup final I suppose. To be fair there's always great craic before and after the game, there'll always be a good crowd there, but most will be keen to get home. You'll not be short people by supermax anyway before hand.

What time you heading down at because there will probably be a crowd in early to watch the minor final, one way or the other either Cork or Waterford will be in the minors.

Anyway, there'll always be a crowd around for the craic, there'd probably have been more if Tipp were in the final, but because both sets are traveling fans most will want to hit the road early, or the train. Whichever. But you'll find someone.

Seeming as there is a few of us heading down, why don't we meet up for a pre-match pint Reillers??

I'm prepared to put all the things you said behind me and move on!

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on July 07, 2010, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2010, 09:27:15 AM

5-31. Although it would have been 6-30 had Ray Cummins not handpassed the ball over the bar when he already rounded John Power in the goal. It is events like that that make me grateful for what we have whether we win the All-Ireland or not

Were you at the match? I was intending to count the number of times the teams were level as a way of engaging with the game but had to give up after about 10 minutes. And i remember being very optimistic about Jim Greene and the rest of the Waterford hurlers before the match. 

Those were the days. Galway didn't win an all-Ireland semi for 3 years in a row and it was considered a rut.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2010, 03:06:40 PM

Those were the days. Galway didn't win an all-Ireland semi for 3 years in a row and it was considered a rut.

Galway were straight into a semi-final in those days.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2010, 03:06:40 PM
Were you at the match? I was intending to count the number of times the teams were level as a way of engaging with the game but had to give up after about 10 minutes. And i remember being very optimistic about Jim Greene and the rest of the Waterford hurlers before the match. 

No, I didn't go to my first championship match until 1987. It's part of Waterford folklore though, like how Pat McGrath was in Páidí Ó Sé's pub in Ventry and asked how much he owed, to which Páidí replied "5.31". As Pat said, you had to laugh - otherwise you'd cry

cicfada

Good start to the    week for Waterford hurling, their minors beat Cork in the Munster semifinal replay this evening  by 2-17 to 1-13!! First time beating them for 60 years!!

Reillers

Just so poor from the minor team, so, so slow out of the blocks, left themselves a mountain to climb at half time, pulled the game back in to 3 points, only they can know what the hell they were doing for the last 10 or so minutes, brought it back to 3 points and didn't score after that. Such a slack, almost lazy performances from the middle of the pitch that cost us our come back in the end.
Just when you think things are getting better. Such a dissapointing result. We fuckin eventually beat Tipp, after a boat load of replays over the years, do the hard thing and throw it away TWICE against what was a team we should have beaten. Disgusted to say the least. Really just a thoroughly dissapointing, slow performance. For all the talent that some of those players have..unbelievable. Not acceptable, not even close.

A complete review of underage level needs to be done, it's not good enough. The set up is ridiculous and everyone but the guys who need to, can see that.

A terrible night for Cork hurling. So pissed off now.

We left the game in the pairc, the reality is that the selectors were clueless, are cluelss and have cost us more than a handfull of tropheys behind us due to poor selection. Depressing to see really. The only positive thing is that 5 or so of those players will make the senior IC team. Some very good players, let down again and again, constantly, by shockingly bad selectors.

Fair play to Waterford, they weren't expected to go on, but the got a draw out of us, and did well today, and I mean no disrepect to them, because they did very well.

It's just the same old story every single year. The wrong players are picked and they are not coached well. But as per usual the Cork County Board is killing us, while things may have calmed down at senior level, the CCB are killing us. The need to continue to pick CCB yes man as managers and selectors is destroying our games. It was obvious from the Tipp game and the drawn Waterford game what the problem is, but nothing was done, and now another year gone down the drain.

How much longer are they going to let this continue?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Reillers on July 07, 2010, 08:59:14 PM
Just so poor from the minor team, so, so slow out of the blocks, left themselves a mountain to climb at half time, pulled the game back in to 3 points, only they can know what the hell they were doing for the last 10 or so minutes, brought it back to 3 points and didn't score after that. Such a slack, almost lazy performances from the middle of the pitch that cost us our come back in the end.
Just when you think things are getting better. Such a dissapointing result. We fuckin eventually beat Tipp, after a boat load of replays over the years, do the hard thing and throw it away TWICE against what was a team we should have beaten. Disgusted to say the least. Really just a thoroughly dissapointing, slow performance. For all the talent that some of those players have..unbelievable. Not acceptable, not even close.

A complete review of underage level needs to be done, it's not good enough. The set up is ridiculous and everyone but the guys who need to, can see that.

A terrible night for Cork hurling. So pissed off now.

We left the game in the pairc, the reality is that the selectors were clueless, are cluelss and have cost us more than a handfull of tropheys behind us due to poor selection. Depressing to see really. The only positive thing is that 5 or so of those players will make the senior IC team. Some very good players, let down again and again, constantly, by shockingly bad selectors.

Fair play to Waterford, they weren't expected to go on, but the got a draw out of us, and did well today.

It's just the same old story every single year. The wrong players are picked and they are not coached well. But as per usual the Cork County Board is killing us, while things may have calmed down at senior level, the CCB are killing us. The need to continue to pick CCB yes man as managers and selectors is destroying our games. It was obvious from the Tipp game and the drawn Waterford game what the problem is, but nothing was done, and now another year gone down the drain.

How much longer are they going to let this continue?

cicfada

Structures are being put in place Reillers. I can tell you that a pilot scheme is in place in the Blarney area wrt local primary schools, it's working very well  and the schools  of excellence and academies are up and running! These things take time and it will be  a while before Cork  start competing again at minor and u21 levels. You can't keep saying that the co board keep picking selectors with a view to losing matches  Fucks sake if they won tonight, there wouldn't be a word about the co board. Change the record, things  are changing in Cork  albeit it a bit later than other counties!!