The Rooting for Leinster GAA Football Thread..

Started by Dinny Breen, July 02, 2010, 05:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 10:43:44 PM
None of your business.

It's very much my business. I'm a member of the GAA and I'm contending that the Laois county board broke the rules and paid two high profile players to continue to play for Laois at a time when Laois were very much on a downward spiral.

You refuse to answer why a player would leave a well paid gig in Dublin having retired from IC football, except to say 'he got a chance' - we'll leave the studio audience make up their own mind on what that 'chance' entailed.

heffo

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 07:33:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 30, 2012, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 06:01:40 PM
Those rumours were proved to be false.

Where?

What do you mean where? They were proved false, all you need to know.

Where were they proven false? They were proven true. Sad times for Laois football.

If I were you I'd sort out the problems in your own county and stick to picking up road kill before you start criticising Dublin.

squire_in_navy_slacks

If not Dublin this year Im rooting for kildare in the all ireland series................................hopefully kevin mcstay tones his love in down with the lillys  ;)

Dont Matter

Quote from: heffo on May 01, 2012, 09:13:18 AM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 10:43:44 PM
None of your business.

It's very much my business. I'm a member of the GAA and I'm contending that the Laois county board broke the rules and paid two high profile players to continue to play for Laois at a time when Laois were very much on a downward spiral.

You refuse to answer why a player would leave a well paid gig in Dublin having retired from IC football, except to say 'he got a chance' - we'll leave the studio audience make up their own mind on what that 'chance' entailed.

;D We have Columbo here putting all the clues together.
The chance he got was a business opportunity, nothing got to do with the county board. He took the chance to move home and happily play for his club and Laois once more.
What business it is of yours or the 'studio audience' is anyone's guess.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: heffo on May 01, 2012, 09:15:28 AM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 07:33:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 30, 2012, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on April 30, 2012, 06:01:40 PM
Those rumours were proved to be false.

Where?

What do you mean where? They were proved false, all you need to know.

Where were they proven false? They were proven true. Sad times for Laois football.

If I were you I'd sort out the problems in your own county and stick to picking up road kill before you start criticising Dublin.

The story came from your side, whatever the Dublin club was told was untrue. The county board paid them nothing.
What problem is there in Dublin? Getting 7 million euro to buy success isn't a problem. Having Croke Park as your permanent home ground isn't a problem. The use of a diet of unusual ingredients been covered up isn't a problem.
Peter Quinn

Hill16 Blues

Not for the first time you're talking out of your Swiss roll. Keep it going. You're a credit to yourself & your county!

The Boy Wonder

I think it is fair to say that a lot of Don't Matter's provocative contributions to this board would be an embarassment to most Laois supporters. There was a good letter in the Sunday Inependent from a genuine Laois supporter.

From Sunday Independent, 28-April-2012
========================================================================================
Laois criticism not warranted

I cannot let Mary Russell's letter, 'Bigotry problem hasn't gone away' [Apr 22], go unanswered from my position as a Laois supporter for over 50 years.

During that half-century, attending many matches all over the 32 counties, I have heard, listened to and replied to all kinds of verbals. Most of these remarks were friendly banter. There are, however, always a few bad apples in every barrel and the GAA is no different than any other organisation.

I had the honour of acting as umpire for the late, great referee Jimmy Rankins in numerous grounds including Croke Park and Casement Park to name but a few. Being called a 'Free State B......' or being told I needed Specsavers didn't ruffle me. Generally a shake of hands or a nod from players or officials acted as a mea culpa when hostilities ended.

The partition mentioned also affected 'Free Staters' as my late father John Fennell lined out for Co Louth in a drawn junior final only to be then interred in Kilmainham for his Republican beliefs and he missed the replay.

Laois teams and supporters have had mixed fortunes over the last 125 years, with some success, lots of heartbreak, but all played in the true spirit of the GAA.

The events come to mind showing this spirit. In the mid-'90s, after a disputed score in the first encounter, Laois offered and played Carlow in a second championship match. Secondly, I was a very proud Laoisman when our minor football team and officials formed a guard of honour to the victorious Tyrone players and officials after the 1998 final in Croke Park, acknowledging the hurt felt after the Omagh bomb a month earlier.

Bigotry? What bigotry?

Peter Fennell
========================================================================================

Above quoted from Sunday Independent

Dont Matter

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on May 01, 2012, 09:39:50 PM
Not for the first time you're talking out of your Swiss roll. Keep it going. You're a credit to yourself & your county!

Well said. Cop on Heffo.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on May 02, 2012, 12:11:50 AM
I think it is fair to say that a lot of Don't Matter's provocative contributions to this board would be an embarassment to most Laois supporters. There was a good letter in the Sunday Inependent from a genuine Laois supporter.

You don't deserve that username.
Peter Quinn

Donnellys Hollow

Well done Longford, Laois and Wicklow.

Commiserations to our fallen Biffo comrades.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 21, 2014, 11:49:39 PM
Well done Longford, Laois and Wicklow.

Commiserations to our fallen Biffo comrades.

Indeed. It's a pity Doesn't matter won't clarify that two IC players were paid to come out of retirement - one to return home from a paid gig in Dublin

Dinny Breen

Down to the last 18 and only 4 teams left and one of them is Carlow  :(

Standards were definitely rising a few years ago but after tomorrow there will probably be only 2 teams from Leinster left in the Championship.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 12, 2014, 08:00:11 PM
Down to the last 18 and only 4 teams left and one of them is Carlow  :(

Standards were definitely rising a few years ago but after tomorrow there will probably be only 2 teams from Leinster left in the Championship.

So you're saying you're going Down, huh?