The Black and Tans are on their way back to the north of Ireland

Started by Hereiam, June 30, 2010, 11:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Orior

In my opinion (which I rate very highly) this just looks like a money saving exercise, nothing else.

Would anyone equate Securicor or G4S with the Black&Tans?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Boost for PSNI car number scanner scheme

The police in Northern Ireland are to get almost £13m to enhance technology that allows them to track the movements of cars and other vehicles.

The government announced the move on Wednesday.

The PSNI have been using an Automatic Number Plate Recognition system for a number of years, but this will now be improved.

The system can identify cars that are stolen, untaxed or uninsured.

It can also be used to track terrorist or criminal suspects.

Speaking in the Commons on Wednesday, NIO Minister Hugo Swire described it as a "useful tool for the PSNI".

DUP MP Ian Paisley jr has welcomed the statement by Mr Swire.

Mr Paisley said: "This system is crucial in tracking illegal trade and terrorist suspects."

He said that he would be seeking assurances that it would "have no impact on police manpower".

MPs were told that Northern Ireland Secretary Owen Paterson had lobbied the Treasury for the money.

But Mr Swire said that resources may not always be so readily available in the future as there was a "very tight fiscal round".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10462669.stm

Big Brother is watching you.
Testing Accessibility

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: give her dixie on Today at 01:17:10 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on June 30, 2010, 11:34:27 PM
History is repeating itself. This can't be good for the people of the north.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/10469012.stm

Lets hope we don't get this private security firm:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/blackwater-faces-war-crimes-inquiry-after-killings-in-iraq-396686.html

yawn   

How can you say that bores you??? Did you read that report?? This outfit is up for war crimes for killing 17 innocent people and are IMMUNE from prosecution, does Bloody Sunday ring any bells....

Orior

If its Securicor that gets the PSNI job then i hope they only get plastic imitation guns
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

That's a great job boost for one side of the community at least !

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on July 01, 2010, 09:28:21 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 01, 2010, 09:24:07 AM
That's a great job boost for one side of the community at least !

Imported from war zones across the world.

Aye but it's good to see the lads getting a bit of work. Bit less money but a whole lot less risk.

Hardy

Don't worry. SF are on the policing board. They won't let this happen, won'ten they not?

orangeman

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 01, 2010, 11:42:20 AM
How would having a private security firms save money?  This is very bad news for NI.  The PSNI have done a lot in the last 10-15 years to build trust in the police in NI and to make the police representative of all the people in the north.  e.g.  positive discrimination so that catholic, gaelic playing, irish speaking members make up a significant percentage of the police. There is much less likely to be situations like Robert Hamill getting kicked to death while the police sit and watch now and less likely to be collusion with loyalist paramilitaries or other black operations when constable McTaig has to sign off an operation.  By bringing in security firms from Iraq and Afghanistan who are not representative of all the people of NI to make sure NI is 'secure' they are bypassing all this, who knows what sort of f&*ked up agenda there masters have for NI.

They have indeed.  ???

orangeman

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 01, 2010, 11:42:20 AM
How would having a private security firms save money?  This is very bad news for NI.  The PSNI have done a lot in the last 10-15 years to build trust in the police in NI and to make the police representative of all the people in the north.  e.g.  positive discrimination so that catholic, gaelic playing, irish speaking members make up a significant percentage of the police. There is much less likely to be situations like Robert Hamill getting kicked to death while the police sit and watch now and less likely to be collusion with loyalist paramilitaries or other black operations when constable McTaig has to sign off an operation.  By bringing in security firms from Iraq and Afghanistan who are not representative of all the people of NI to make sure NI is 'secure' they are bypassing all this, who knows what sort of f&*ked up agenda there masters have for NI.

Is this the same PSNI that have being building trust ?

Officers disciplined over Stoneyford response
Page last updated at 09:51 GMT, Thursday, 1 July 2010 10:51 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version  The police response was investigated by Ombudsman Al Hutchinson's office Four police officers have been disciplined for not doing enough to investigate attacks on Catholic families in a County Antrim village.

The Police Ombudsman has confirmed it examined how the officers conducted investigations into a series of attacks in Stoneyford outside Lisburn.

The Irish News was shown a letter from an ombudsman investigator to a Catholic family intimidated from the village.

It said a number of mistakes had been made by police.

"As a result of what you and others have complained about, police officers have been disciplined, police processes have been evaluated and more rigorous procedures have been implemented," the newspaper quotes the letter.

"Unfortunately, the further back one goes the more disjointed and unfocused the police response to the problems faced by residents in the village becomes."

Continue reading the main story
It confirms what we have been saying for many years, that the police failed to protect the Catholic community in that village
Paul Butler

Sinn Fein
The PSNI confirmed that in relation to complaints made about policing in Stoneyford in 2005/6 officers were given "advice and guidance in relation to their actions".

However, no officers have been disciplined in relation to a complaint made in 2008, as had been previously thought.

That complaint related to an incident in which Sinn Fein assembly member Paul Butler was attacked in the village.

Prosecutors had to drop charges after police sent the file to the wrong place.

Mr Butler welcomed the ombudsman's findings.

"It confirms what we have been saying for many years, that the police failed to protect the Catholic community in that village," he said.

"Their policing plan, it says in this report, was disjointed and wasn't effective.

"The reality is that many of the families who were intimidated out of that village, nobody's been arrested or convicted for those crimes."

However, Mr Butler said he believed more than four officers should be disciplined over the investigations.

"While I welcome the fact that there are these recommended disciplinary proceedings against four PSNI officers, I do think that at the leadership level of the PSNI in Lisburn there were failings," he said.

TheMadMicky100

i wassssss.....haon do tri ceathair .....born on a dublin strat where d royal drums do baet and d royal english troops they tramped alll ovvvvveverrrr us and every single night that the father come home tight he'd invite thy neighbours outside with this choruss..........
Hows she cuttin

Maiden1

There will always be a certain amount of bigotry within elements of police just as there would be a certain amount if you worked in Tescos.  If society has bigoted people in it then if the police are representatives of that society then that will manifest itself in certain cases.  Is there anything in particular you would like to see happen to make the PSNI non sectarian as you would see it?  At the end of the day there has to be a police force in NI and one which is representative of all communities in terms of numbers and cultural background is better than any other option.

In the case you mentioned it did go to an Ombudsman and 'Mr Butler welcomed the ombudsman's findings' can be seen as a wrap on the knuckles for the PSNI in Lisburn whether any individual officer was disciplined or not.  My overall point is I would rather be policed by someone I went to school with or play football with/against etc. than have someone coming with experience of Iraq and Afganistan to help out in NI.
There are no proofs, only opinions.