Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

stephenite

Lar Naparka

Hiya, Hardy. It's me again!

Lar, that's a very long way of saying the players should say why they didn't agree to a replay. I disagree. They weren't officially asked anything, so what are we discussing?

When I slip into bullsugar mode, I'm afraid I find it hard to apply the brakes.
But I felt I had a need to explain my case in depth to avoid the possibility of misunderstandings. Unfortunately, I was expecting you to disagree with me.
They weren't officially asked anything but there were asked something all the same.
We are discussing the consequences arising from that decision—or so I think.

If they WERE asked, they shouldn't have been and should have answered "don't ask us - we have no function in GAA administration. We play the games, you administer the rules. We don't ask you to catch balls and score points. Don't ask us to adjudicate on match results or competition schedules. Give us a decision and we'll abide by it."

But they were asked, albeit unofficially, and they should have given the same answer as you to their county board but they didn't and anyway, that's very much past tense now.

If they answered 'no', then in my opinion they gave the politically difficult and morally courageous answer. To have given any other answer would have been craven. What would you think of yourself if you gave the answer demanded of you just because a gun was put to your head?

If they had agreed to a replay on the evening of the game, their response would have been applauded by the vast majority of the public at large; including, I'd suggest, a considerable number of their own Meath fans.
On the other hand, if they had answered 'no' because they felt they should not have been asked to make the decision in the first place or if they had quoted precedent, I feel most people would respect their decision. Most would probably disagree with them but would have respected their decision all the same.

The rumour mill is neither here nor there and I won't dignify it with comment other than to mention that if tradition is anything to go by, it ain't going to bother players or supporters but will work to our advantage. Were back where we're comfortable.

With due respect, I think the rumour mill can't be ignored. Your players live in the real world and aren't shielded by security guards and publicity agents. The fact that those who phoned Joe Duffy and his likes were OTT in their comments and questions doesn't mean that what they had to say has no validity. Joe Sheridan will be asked, many times in the future, to match his TV comments after the game with the video evidence of what actually went in the goalmouth.
I've e said before that was very unwise to have let a microphone near any player or official in the aftermath of the game. What any of them, Joe included, would have said when the testosterone levels had subsided somewhat might have been more considered than what was said in the heat of the moment.
It's a pity that you feel the need to retreat into Fortress Meath once more. I can't see your tradition working in your favour this time. For one thing, all the incidents that created this tradition happened on the field of play. There was never ever a suggestion that Meath weren't prepared to stand up to anybody or couldn't take what they were wont to give.
Media coverage was nowhere near as intrusive as it is now and oul bags phoning in to Joe Duffy weren't heard of back then. It's not a case of Micheal O'Hehir alluding briefly to "a shemozzle in the goalmouth" anymore.  This one is gonna run and run for a long time thanks to TSG, YouTube and modern recording technology. You can throw saturation newspaper coverage, Internet forums and blogs and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

I am not being judgemental here. I have lots of sympathy for modern day IC players everywhere. I think they are being subjected to far too much pressure from many quarters to give more and more commitment to a game they love to play and still remain amateurs. Meath players are no exception.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Has Joe Sheridan ever said anything publicly about that 'goal' apart from in the immediate aftermath of the game. He gets quoted a lot, but I think it's all from that same interview under the Hogan Stand. I think people are assuming an awful lot about whether he still thinks it was a 'perfect' goal or not.

zoyler

Is there a prize for the poster posting who brings up the hundreth page?

By the Way it looks like your man O'Neill has tied up the Louth vote in the next presidential election

the Deel Rover

Quote from: zoyler on July 21, 2010, 02:01:19 PM
Is there a prize for the poster posting who brings up the hundreth page?

By the Way it looks like your man O'Neill has tied up the Louth vote in the next presidential election
is it me ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

I saw that, but it's all empty rhetoric out of him. This sentence summed it up. He acknowledges that you couldn't legislate for what happened in the current rule book, but he says..
'Even though it would be outside our authority, we should be able to do something'.

Talk about horseshit and pandering to the Whingeline crew. What is 'something'? How would you do it? Would it be shot down in 30 seconds by the DRA if Meath appealed? Cop on.

I do agree with him about the Monday morning disciplinery committee, and I've advocated that here for a good while.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

If it reaches 100, I'll blame Bud anyway. He interjected a whole few pages of madness there a while ago :)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2010, 02:06:06 PM
If it reaches 100, I'll blame Bud anyway. He interjected a whole few pages of madness there a while ago :)

true very true
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore