Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hardstation on July 14, 2010, 06:21:51 PM
This what I meant about the penalty. Freeze it on 54 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUs7LplDcY0&annotation_id=annotation_371549&feature=iv

There's no penalty there. Sheridan just collects the spilled ball and desperately dives for the gap trying to get to the line.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 14, 2010, 06:45:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUs7LplDcY0&annotation_id=annotation_371549&feature=iv

There's no penalty there. Sheridan just collects the spilled ball and desperately dives for the gap trying to get to the line.

Agreed Sheridan dived in like he was playing rugby
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Shamrock Shore

Can we all go home now?

There is nothing to see here anymore.

Mac2

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 14, 2010, 07:46:34 PM
Louth to take no further action

Meath will go into the All-Ireland quarter-finals as Leinster champions after Louth announced the county will accept the result of Sunday's highly contentious final. In a lengthy statement released this evening, the Louth county board confirmed they will be taking "no further action" on the matter.

After the Meath board rejected calls for a replay yesterday, it had been thought Louth would be prepared to take their case to the Disputes Resolution Authority.

However, while admitting there was an enormous "sense of injustice" at the manner of Meath's win at Croke Park, Louth insisted they had never considered going down the legal route.

Instead, Peter Fitzpatrick's side will now attempt to put the controversy behind them and concentrate on their All-Ireland qualifier campaign.

Full statement from the Louth county board

"In relation to incidents which occurred during and after the Leinster Final on Sunday, July 11th the Executive Committee of the Louth county board have met on a number of occasions to discuss the events of the day and correspondence pertaining to same.

" 1 Goalmouth incident at the end of match: The referee has indicated in his report that he blew the whistle for a penalty, but then changed his mind and awarded a goal instead, which is contrary to playing rules. We also fail to understand why the referee did not consult with both umpires in relation to the goal being awarded, which is also contrary to guidance given to referees in such contraversal circumstances. In the light of this and the clear admission in the referees report that he "made a terrible mistake," the referees report therefore is questionable.

" 2 Rule 6.41 Award / facts of game: The award of the game rests with the committee / council in charge acting on the referees report.

"We would contend that that the committee / council in charge erred in leaving the matter to Meath county board to offer a replay, without seeking clarification from the referee in relation to his match report and his statement "he made a terrible mistake".

"Despite the fact that there are several avenues open to us to question the result we believe we have a responsibility to our members and supporters alike to display leadership on this issue and to move forward to the qualifiers. At no stage (contrary to media reports) did we have a legal representative present at any of our deliberations and we would also like to state that at no stage did we consider legal proceedings on the matter.

"The sense of injustice which is being felt in Louth GAA is enormous. However, the executive committee of the Louth county board, the senior team management and players have decided to take no further action regarding the outcome of the Leinster football championship final.

"On behalf of Louth GAA we would take this opportunity to congratulate our players and team management on a magnificent performance on Sunday, and wish them every success in the remainder of the championship. We would also take this opportunity to thank our loyal supporters who turned out in their thousands to cheer our team on, and we would encourage them to continue with their loyal support in the remainder of the championship.

"We have already condemned the disgraceful scenes which occurred post match and we would reiterate that there is no place for those individuals within our organisation.

"We wish the Meath players and management every success in their campaign.

"Louth have had over the years a long and proud history of promoting the best interests of the GAA and will continue to strive to do so on and off the field of play.

"Finally, in light of the tragic events which occurred in Donegal over the weekend we realise that we must put our situation in context and we would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those deceased."
Fair play to Louth they've taken the sensible approac, despite what some are claiming they wouldn't have done their supporters or their players any favours by pursuing this any further.

Main Street

If there had been a penalty, was there a Meath man with the cojones to go for a goal?

Hardy

Well both Seamus and Joe went for goal when the safe option would have been a point and we'd have been talking about Saturday's replay.

Jinxy

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2010, 08:22:45 PM
If there had been a penalty, was there a Meath man with the cojones to go for a goal?

Ward would definitely have gone for a goal.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 14, 2010, 06:42:37 PM

There is no penalty.

By the way - haven't commented to date - my heart goes out to Louth team and their supporters. If something like that had happened to us in 2002 then I'd have lost it totally!!

If that happened to any of my teams I'd go mental as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hardy

Would you attack the referee? Would you hit a steward with a bottle? Would you punch an opposition player?

Louth Exile

Very proud of our County Board and the way that they have conducted themselves, this along with the conduct of the players and management and the overall display on Sunday does in fact give us a lot to be proud of in the Wee County and true evidence that lads who let the dark side get the better of themselves on Sunday are not representative of us a GAA county. We have the right man leading the team and the right man leading our county board, there is cause for optimism! The statement clearly shows how cowardly the Leinster Council were in the whole matter!

Quote from: Hound on July 14, 2010, 02:55:40 PM
I think Louth would dominate midfield against either Dublin or Meath and I doubt their forwards would be as wasteful as they were against Meath, thus I'd fancy Louth to beat either Dublin or Meath if they meet later (although only if they get their heads right of course).

I subscribe to these thoughts myself, including the final caveat

All kinds of speculation by Keyes in the Indo today that Ward has an excellent record but might have been instructed to point it!! Who the f**k knows what would have happened!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on July 14, 2010, 08:41:11 PM

Ward would definitely have gone for a goal.

Yeh, he probably would have picked up the ball and ran into the goals with it :D

Jinxy

It's a wonder ye didn't try a bit of that yourselves down in Cork.
Nothing else seemed to be working.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2010, 08:45:04 PM
Would you attack the referee? Would you hit a steward with a bottle? Would you punch an opposition player?

No I wouldn't, but the language would not be nice coming from my mouth to all and sundry for a long time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.