Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteHe spoke to the ref in the dressing room after the match and said that the referee referred to a penalty

Take a penalty, if Meath score no problem, if Louth save it give them the cup.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Beard

For what it's worth, I would consider cheating to be trying to deliberately deceive the referee into awarding a score or get a player sent off. While Joe Sheridan failed to score a legitimate goal he did make a genuine attempt to do so and therefore he did not cheat, end of story.

It's up to the officials to referee the game as they see it. Sludden hardly moved a yard from when the ball was kiched into the square until the ball hit the back of the net hence Sludden was poorly placed to make a decision. This would point to Sludden lacking the physical fitness to oficiate at intercounty level, not a new problem in GAA. As for his inability to consult with the umpires thats just inexplicable. Huge questions have been raised about refereeing standards and the means by which people are recruited into referreing, why so few ex players for example....even ex U-21 or minor players.

As for Louth, it was their first big day for many years and while it was devastating for them they need to learn from it and come back stronger.They made plenty of mistakes on the day and I'm sure when the dust settles they will realise they have plenty of room for improvement. It's a county with huge potential and if people become inspired to right the wrongs of last Sunday it could lead to great things. A replay would have also been unsatisfactory in the long run, even if Louth had won it would still have felt strange.

How the Meath Co. Board where left to make the decision on the replay is also baffling and unacceptable. A replay has got to come about through the referee's match report indicating the error or stating null and void as the final score.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Puckoon on July 13, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what would be the ruling of the "goal" if a referee got to watch it on tape.1. Player falls over the goal line
2. Player drops ball and tries to kick it
3. Player misses, but ball still ends up behind the goal line.
What is the correct ruling here?
1. Sheridan is in the square before the ball arrives (not Seamus Kenny though, for those who were confused) -  Free Out
2. Sheridan dives, is not pushed, dives towards the line - Free Out
3. Sheridan crosses the line while in possesion of the ball - Free Out
4. Sheridan throws the ball into the net - Irrelevant as the ball has already crossed the line.

With properly trained and empowered umpires there is no need for video replay though. all was clearly visible to the umpires in real time.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pkerin

I wonder are there any other cultures on the planet that are as passionate about there national sports as we are. No matter which side of the fence your on we all love our sport. I am ready to move on and I do hope the Louth County Board do so too. A legal battle would just be a circus.

Onlooker

Just wondering, Louth Exile, at what stage did the referee blow for the penalty.  Did you hear any whistle?

fearglasmor

JS was in the square when the ball was up about half the height of the uprights. By the time it came dow for Kenny to catch it he had backed out of the square.

Beard

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 11:50:39 PM
For me, it is not that baffling. Meath won the match and are Leinster champions. Nobody can do anything about that.

Meath could say "we'll have a replay" but decided "No, we won. End of".

Which is fair enough, imo.

I meant baffling in the sense that they had to make a decision at all. Once the referees report stated 1-12 to 1-10 the matter should have been closed. I don't know of too many other sports where there is a post match process for appealing results.

Zapatista

After watching it again and again I still can't see a square ball.

Louth Exile

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 11:55:01 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on July 13, 2010, 11:52:56 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 13, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what would be the ruling of the "goal" if a referee got to watch it on tape.1. Player falls over the goal line
2. Player drops ball and tries to kick it
3. Player misses, but ball still ends up behind the goal line.
What is the correct ruling here?
1. Sheridan is in the square before the ball arrives (not Seamus Kenny though, for those who were confused) -  Free Out
2. Sheridan dives, is not pushed, dives towards the line - Free Out
3. Sheridan crosses the line while in possesion of the ball - Free Out
4. Sheridan throws the ball into the net - Irrelevant as the ball has already crossed the line.

With properly trained and empowered umpires there is no need for video replay though. all was clearly visible to the umpires in real time.
Haven't seen it in a while but I think Sheridan was outside.

Watch it again then, before the initial ball from Reilly came, Sheridan was clearly standing the square and backing it out of it, before the smallest man on the field rises to field wonderfully, evade the first challenge only to have his shot brilliantly blocked down by Captain fantastic Keenan.

Quote from: Onlooker on July 13, 2010, 11:56:46 PM
Just wondering, Louth Exile, at what stage did the referee blow for the penalty.  Did you hear any whistle?

Straight up, I didn't notice the whistle myself and I never listened out for it the several times that I have tortured myself by watching it back. Some of the other posters, way back in the thread mentioned a whistle (a bit like a puff of smoke on the grass knowl) but I don't know at what point it was at. A number of them mentioned this before it came out in the Meath CC statement tonight
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Zapatista

BTW congrats to meath on their decision not to hold a replay. It was the braver decision.

Onlooker

Quote from: Beard on July 14, 2010, 12:00:22 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 11:50:39 PM
For me, it is not that baffling. Meath won the match and are Leinster champions. Nobody can do anything about that.

Meath could say "we'll have a replay" but decided "No, we won. End of".

Which is fair enough, imo.

I meant baffling in the sense that they had to make a decision at all. Once the referees report stated 1-12 to 1-10 the matter should have been closed. I don't know of too many other sports where there is a post match process for appealing results.
Horse racing would certainly be one where the connections of the second horse can object to the winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I have to say after todays decision I really do hope Meath progress no farther in this Years Championship. I had begun to like this Meath team, but I won't be sorry if they have an unjust exit from the Championship this year.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Louth Exile

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 14, 2010, 12:09:57 AM
I have to say after todays decision I really do hope Meath progress no farther in this Years Championship. I had begun to like this Meath team, but I won't be sorry if they have an unjust exit from the Championship this year.

A lot of time for them myself, admired the good direct football (which we play also) and brought the young fella to the games. Wouldn't have the stomach for watching them now!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: Zapatista on July 14, 2010, 12:03:10 AM
BTW congrats to meath on their decision not to hold a replay. It was the braver decision.

It certainly was the braver decision. The correct one( for them)? well, time will tell.

But the whole sorry episode is damaging to the game in general. Mostly because it backs up grassroot feelings about the GAA. Might is right. If the shoe was on the other foot and Louth took the stance that Meath did, then there would be considerable sympathy for them. The view out there though is that Louth CB would have been coerced into/not thick enough to refuse a replay. It is unfortunate that this is seen as another example of the small guy getting patted on the head for his efforts.