Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

No no no. You definitely are confused. What you're proposing is equivalent to saying a player forced to carry the ball over his own end line by a push in the back has conceded a 45.

Sure even the Louth people accept the facts at this stage.

OverThePostsAWide

Not my proposal at all. If a player is forced over the endline or sideline while in possession it is either a foul on the player in possession or a kickout/sideline ball to the team who did the forcing. It is seen all the time particularly for sideline balls. This is entirely consistant with Joe's situation. Joe carrying the ball over the goalline is a foul (explicitly stated in rule 4.12) - equivalent to a player carrying the ball over the endline/sideline. Either Joe is awarded a penalty for being forced over the line illegally or a free is awarded against Joe for fouling the ball.

Rule 3.1 explicitly states that a player cannot score a goal by carrying the ball over the opponent's goalline. If an exception to that was if he was illegally forced over the line while in possession then the rulebook would say that, but it doesn't.

Hardy

The rulebook doesn't list all exceptions. That would be impossible. Rule 3.2 explicitly states that a score may be made by striking the ball in flight with the hand(s). The rulebook doesn't mention anywhere that a score may be made by striking the ball in flight with the foot(feet), knee(s) or elbow(s). Does that mean a goal scored by deflecting a ball in flight into the net with the foot should be disallowed?

OverThePostsAWide

I am giving up at this point. I can get more sense out of your average Tyrone man. If the goalposts had been shifted about as much on the day, there wouldn't have been the need for this thread  ::)

Hardy

Ah no! I was hoping to get a few more pages out of this.

ross4life

Two Louth fans found guilty of assault

Judge Bridget Reilly has found two Louth men guilty of assaulting referee Martin Sludden after the 2010 Leinster SFC final.

The Tyrone official awarded Meath a controversial winning goal in injury time against Louth.

A number of angry Louth supporters confronted the official after the final whistle, with the DPP recommending that three men be charged with assault following an investigation. Charges were later dropped against one of those men.

The two were sentenced to a fine of €1,000 each

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=163077

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Jinxy

Once again.
Great thread.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

DB_An_Mhi

Would ye settle for a point and an Easter Egg? We seem to have mislaid the cup (and our form).

thejuice

I just don't see how we could possibly win this game without breaking the rules.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Ard-Rí

I expect a win. We're simply not that bad, and should beat Louth at the dead of our ease.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

bhgmk

I really hope you're right Ard-Rí, but after the match in Omagh I wouldn't be so sure.  I really thought they were going to lift themselves for that game but it just never looked like happening.

I thought it was very telling that Tom Keague did all the media stuff after the match - not like Banty to be unavailable to the media.

omagh_gael

Sure wouldn't it be a bit of craic if they got Sludden to referee it. They could fly big Joe back and do a re-enactment at half time for entertainment. Have thon two buckos who went after our Michael chase him round the field at full time too for a wee bonus laugh. Who needs Jedward to keep the crowd entertained at half time!

Hardy

Omagh-gael, your amusing post illustrates a sad fact. We have indeed become a bit of a sideshow, if not a laughing stock under this regime.

I don’t blame Banty. He is what he is and can’t help it. I blame those who appointed him. They are worse than useless. The sad fact is that when eventually they show Banty the road, we are at the mercy of their arbitrary, haphazard fecklessness when it comes to the process of selecting the next manager.

And the manager is the key, as Seán Boylan proved by his achievements in spite of the county board’s incompetence. They were as useless from 1983 to 2005 as they are now. They have confirmed this since his departure by demonstrating how they squandered his achievements over two decades to the extent that we are now back to where we were in 1980, before Seán Boylan was heard of.

The only thing that will save Meath football at county level is the selection of the right leader to harness, motivate and lead the footballing talent in the county to maximise its potential. Unfortunately, this can only happen by accident, given what we’ve seen about how these clowns have gone about selecting the last few managers.