Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windmill abu

Being from Tyrone, I will happily concede that M Sludden is not the most popular referee within his own county. But he does have a sense of fair play. I think that before he decided to award the goal he would have weighed up the Meath attempt to cause injury to Peter Canavan in 1996 against the Louth attempt to cripple Iggy Jones in 1957. While Peter went on to win his all-ireland, Iggy was denied his chance. Revenge is a dish best serve cold and it cant get much colder than 53 years.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2010, 11:54:33 PM
No sympathy for Louth after watching those scumbags. Slap it up them.
Harsh but not unsurprising response

whitey

Louth fans should show up en masse (10-15,000) at the next game and stage a sit in-force the issue.

AN other

Joe Sheridan should have steered clear of the media after the match and kept his mouth shut. He was pushed nowhere and only embarassed himself.

Louth should have had the game well wrapped up near the end, there'll be a few players kicking themselves.

Louth supporters let themselves down, Meath free-taking was booed from the off. I'd say the Louth support doubled from that which was at the Westmeath game. Enough said. 50 years since they won leinster? I'd say half the Louth support wasn't at a single game in those 50 years.

SLIGONIAN

Why was sheridan grinning? I saw that and just to be grinning in the faces of the Louth players is way worse than what those fans did.

Hopefully the ref will be banned for life. The man has no integrity at all, if he cared about fair play he would of asked the umpire why he didnt raise the green flag. I have long known cheating is ripe in the GAA, whether it be refs with vendettas, etc... and today is the clearest case yet.

If Louth dont get a replay they should forfeit the qualifier match in protest. 25000 x 30euro is what Louth gave the GAA today to be cheated.

There have been way worse crowd problems at club games involving refs, these Louth GAA fans shouldnt be scapegoated, they barely even touched the ref. I remember seeing footage of Niall Cahalane punching a ref in the jaw at a club game after final whistle and he writes for the examiner now.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

whitey

And as for the referee-I was expecting to see him flaked around the place based on the commentary.  I think heavy jostling would be a better description 

(any Mayo people at the Crossmolina/Castlebar county final replay in Charlestwon back in the late 80s-referee actually ran for his life being chased by cross players and supporters)

muppet

Quote from: whitey on July 12, 2010, 12:51:54 AM
And as for the referee-I was expecting to see him flaked around the place based on the commentary.  I think heavy jostling would be a better description 

(any Mayo people at the Crossmolina/Castlebar county final replay in Charlestwon back in the late 80s-referee actually ran for his life being chased by cross players and supporters)

What about the ref in Wickla that was locked into the boot of a car?
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Quote from: whitey on July 12, 2010, 12:51:54 AM

I remember that - think the Castlebar Full back (Ronan Mee?) had run about 70 yards to flatten Hugh Lynn off the ball and a bit of an all in brawl developed.

That game should be replayed too?

On a more serious note - the actions of the Louth supporters were inexcusable. But the actions of umpire moreso - that man (who's heart was no doubt in the right place) should not be allowed to make a decision on  a pitch again

Jinxy

He was grinning because one of the Louth players elbowed him in the chest then another lad squared up to him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

I remember that - think the Castlebar Full back (Ronan Mee?) had run about 70 yards to flatten Hugh Lynn off the ball and a bit of an all in brawl developed.

I do remember "goldilocks" having to make a run for it too, but I didnt know why he was getting chased until now

Celt_Man

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 12:51:38 AM
Why was sheridan grinning? I saw that and just to be grinning in the faces of the Louth players is way worse than what those fans did.

Yea saw that too... Whatever about the goal, Sheridan didn't cover himself in glory with his antics after "scoring" it
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

stephenite

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2010, 12:59:10 AM
He was grinning because one of the Louth players elbowed him in the chest then another lad squared up to him.

;D

Hw was grinning because he knew he had got away with it

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Jinxy on July 12, 2010, 12:59:10 AM

Assault so jinxy ye'll be looking for them to be prosecuted?

This is a joke, not one of those Louth fans assaulted the ref, brushed him with a few shoulders and pushes and verbals, complete scapegoats,

We all seen alot worse,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Donnellys Hollow

Labelling Joe Sheridan a cheat is not on IMO. He did make an attempt to kick the ball in fairness to him (difficult skill to do when you're on your arse). He was so far over the line that he ended up kicking the net instead of the ball though.

He was in the square when the first ball came in (the one Seámus Kenny caught) so that should have been a free out. I also think he was fouled by the goalkeeper before the "goal". Watch the replay from behind the goal and you can clearly see the keeper dive in with his knee to try and stop him.

He didn't do himself any favours in the interview afterwards though. He would've been better off keeping his mouth shut.

Quote from: AN other on July 12, 2010, 12:49:37 AM
Louth supporters let themselves down, Meath free-taking was booed from the off. I'd say the Louth support doubled from that which was at the Westmeath game. Enough said. 50 years since they won leinster? I'd say half the Louth support wasn't at a single game in those 50 years.

There was only a few hundred of them in Navan on 5 June. They were a fine sporting crowd though and I'm gutted for the true Louth fans who I met at that game. The pathetic actions of a handful brainless idiots who went after the ref and Mark Ward will now tarnish Louth GAA. I bet them lads weren't at a game all year and it wouldn't surprise me if none of them were even members of a club. They should be named and shamed along with the sc**bag who threw the bottle.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Celt_Man

Was Mark Ward the Meath player that got a slap who O'Rourke was on about?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010